• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how good do you think ash is

MasterWGS

Impossible=Nothing, Mewtwo=OU
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Ohio
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Well, it all depends on how we define "good."

If we were to transfer over his tactics/Pokes to our style of competitive play, involving numbers, math, EVs, IVs, stats and the like, Ash would be whipped in no time.

However, if we look at good as a comparison in his world, there's quite a different story. If we define "good" as in better than those around him, Ash would have to be considered great. He's beaten all the gyms in three regions (and he's starting his fourth), not to mention beaten a couple Elite Four members, Frontier Brains, and made it into the top places in multiple Pokemon Leagues. Only a handful of people can say that in the Poke-world.

So, I'd say he has to be pretty good. Though he seems clueless at times (and for some reason he loses what should be easy battles), he's gotta be pretty skilled by comparison considering all of his achievements.

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    It depends on what you mean. As we've seen in the anime, he's pretty tactful and resourceful, and usually wins the battles he fights. But you must consider, the battles are different in the anime then they are in the games. In the anime, if a Pokemon is strong enough it can over-come type differences, but in the games those weaknesses stay the entire way. So I agree with Grant, if he was battling in the games he'd go down easily. But in the anime and manga, he's pretty darn good.

~Rene~

Pearlshipping Fan!
    Years
    I think Ash is doing very good. Because he trained his Pokemons well and win any gym battles.

~Rene~ :t025:

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2012
    I think I would kick his butt!

He isn't bad but he isnt good either

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Yeah, he's not that good. I'm sorry but I could have beaten him easily. VERY easily.

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years
    he stinks. Has traveled in the pokemon world for years and can't even beat the first gym leader of a new region on his first try, his pikachu is gay cause it never seemes to die until u hit it 50 thousand times (which is nothing like pikachu in the games) and wins by using crazy straigies

Ash is...Hmm Hes Go-Crap! I don't know how someone thats been journeing for years getting badges competiting in leagues can lose to a first stage gym leaders geodude and onix it just saddens me..

I agree 100%

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 18, 2008
    The first gym's are not like the gyms in the games, as you can go to any gym at anytime, so saying him losing to the first gym in a new region as a refection of his ability has no substance.

MewthreeXL

Ascended Mewtwo
    Years
    I think Ash is a bad trainer because he is too stupid to realize that Pikachu can never beat an Onix.
    I don't hate Ash,because without him there would be no hot female lead characters,but he still could do better.

Lumine

Basement Cat
    Years
    Ash Ketchum lol his last name sounds like "Catch em" how original...
    He's exceedingly uncoordinated at catching, raising and fighting with pokemon, if he didnt have his travelling companions he'd probably be dead by now and he obviously uses a Gameshark or something because:
    a) His pikachu can affect rock and ground type pokemon and uses agility as an attack
    b) His pokemon use WAY more than four moves
    c) His pokemon can evolve half-way through a battle
    d) He can come back from the dead if pokemon cry at him

Last edited:

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I think Ash is a bad trainer because he is too stupid to realize that Pikachu can never beat an Onix.

But Pikachu HAS beaten an Onix o.O I think it was Pikachu that beaten Roark's Onix

GOPgabe

Mr. 5-Star Trainer Card
    Years
    He can't beat a rock gym leader with a grass type, either Roark is supreme or Ash Fails.
    Ash is made of FAIL, he has this really close relationship with Pikachu.

Neo Android

Master Eevee Trainer
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Eire
    • Seen Apr 4, 2011
    He's exceedingly uncoordinated at catching, raising and fighting with pokemon, if he didnt have his travelling companions he'd probably be dead by now and he obviously uses a Gameshark or something because:
    a) His pikachu can affect rock and ground type pokemon and uses agility as an attack

Best answer yet!

I think he probably bribes the gym leader beforehand the battle we dont see it cause its in the break, and he waves money in there face and tells them the conditions of which he wants to win, and if they compliement his idiotic sorry scratch that his brave and daring moves they get an extra 500poke dollar

Last edited:

J-Rad

In ur comp h4xing ur interwebz
    Years

u forgot about...
    e) his pikachu just goes down after a million hits, i mea pika has the worst def. ever!!!!!! ingold my lvl 60 typhlosion was able to out run and ohko red's lvl 87 piak w/ thunder punch!!!!!

Years
    • NA
    • Seen Jan 12, 2008
    "Dodge, Pikachu, dodge!" (notice that his pokemon always manage to dodge for some strange reason.)
    "Use thundershock!" (on a ground type, mind you.)
    "Oh no, it has taken a lot of damage? Will it manage to win?" (Note that he calls his pokemon "it" and no matter how much damage they take, they manage to stay alive for 10 more turns.)

That is Ash's strategy. Ash is mediocre and second rate. He always manages to pull something out at the last minute that is utterly stupid and doesn't make sense, but works. Battles are boring and easily forgettable. His pokemon never gain experience except for Pikachu who somehow loses when he should be super powerful.

Back