• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How hard did you find the League?

Nakala Pri

Did you have any trouble with the league? Who was the most difficult? Who was the easiest?

Discuss! =D

Years
  • The only one I've played is Black 2, so my opinion is based on that game.

The easiest was Marshall. I've never had problems with Fighting-type gym leaders, so Fighting-type Elite Four was no problem either.

The hardest was Shauntal. Damn her and that Golurk. I HATE fighting Golurk.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Mmm, I didn't find them too be TOO difficult; the Gym Leaders were easy as pie, and so was the Elite Four: Shauntal and Grimsley weren't too bad since my Krookodile and Mienshao handled them both well respectively, but Caitlyn and Marshall were a little bit more tricky.

Caitlyn had her pokemon have moves like Focus Blast and energy which proved.. problematic for my Krookodile, but my Samurott proved useful with his Megahorn against Caitlyn's Psychic pokemon. I faced Marshal last, in which I didn't really have any Flying or Psychic types at the ready, so, I had to purely rely on my Pokemon's defense and how they dish out attacks to win~

Years
  • These pair of games are one of the tricky ones. I never expected the Unova League to have that much tricks up their sleeves. So, it was kind of difficult, considering the fact that there's a good chance that you may be underlevelled.

Having fully played through White only and a portion of Black 2, my biggest challenges were Lenora. Retaliate was a nightmare :sideways: but that's about it. I mean the only elite 4 member that sorta troubled me was Caitlin. Generation 5 wasn't the most challenging one for me even though I used really odd (not very good) pokemon looking back hahaha

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    In BW, I didn't really find the first time you face the Elite 4 to be too hard. But the second time? Insane. I can't tell you how long it took me to train my team to a high enough level to be able face them again.

Years
  • I don't remember them from the very first time I played White. But in the rematches they did get a lot tougher to my recollection. Although one of the last times I went through White, Shauntal and Caitlin were easy, Marshal took a while thanks to some setup I had to do, and Grimsley was really crazy.

Years
  • These pair of games are one of the tricky ones. I never expected the Unova League to have that much tricks up their sleeves. So, it was kind of difficult, considering the fact that there's a good chance that you may be underlevelled.

This is actually very accurate. The fact that you'll likely be underleveled if you don't Audino grind can make this Elite Four a challenge but if you have the right coverage for their Pokemon they aren't as hard initially, but the rematches are a totally different story.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • It was actually pretty tough for me the first time around because I didn't plan out my team well enough and it was extremely weak to Fighting and my team members were pretty weak anyway. So I guess that wasn't really the League being tough, because they were pretty easy my second time around, but rather my team was weak :P

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I actually recall finding my first attempt at the Unova League quite troublesome. Maybe it was just because I was under-levelled, but I found that they had an all-round balanced team equip with powerful movesets.

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2018
    BW2 certainly had the easiest league of the two sets, I had next to no trouble at all. I can't remember my exact team, but I remember having an issue with Caitlin. Other than that the whole league was pretty easy (only had to heal twice: before Caitlin and before Iris as a safety measure).
    BW was much harder. I actually found it incredibly difficult, although there wasn't one member that particularly stuck out to me unless we count Ghetsis as part of the league. I suppose my main issue would have been Marshall, given the kind of team that I had, but I don't particularly remember much of it.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    It wasn't that difficult, though not easy either. Marshal and his Fighting Pokémon posed a real challenge, otherwise I'm pretty much okay with everything. :)

Sirfetch’d

I suppose the rematches are difficult but the initial battles are laughably easy to me. I expected much more of a challenge and was actually a bit disappointed about this :<

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • My experiences with each Unova E4 member:

Marshall - I thought he was a cool character but he was the Easiest E4 member for me. I had a Psychic heavy team and my Gothitelle swept his team.

Shauntel - Ghost type should have been tough for my highly Psychic team but the duel types helped me. Jellicent fell to Gothitelle's Thunderbolt and Milotic surfed over Golurk and Chandelure.

Grimsley - Not too bad other than blanking Gothitelle, Simisear took out Bisharp whilst Samurott and Milotic took care of everyone else.

Caitlin - Tricky. After some 'Basketball Battling' (I faint a Pokemon, she faints a pokemon.) It came down to a battle of Gothitelle's. After a lot of shadow balls and healing by both sides my Gothitelle was a bit quicker than Caitlin's and won the day.

Years
  • Pretty difficult, actually. =( I didn't have the best team and even though the champion himself was easier in B/W the E4 members leading up to him were tough. I especially had a hard time with Caitlin and Shauntal.. Marshall was easy enough, seems like that's a pattern for me when battling fighting-type gym leaders and Elite Four haha. Overall they were a bit more difficult than other leagues but still not as hard as Kanto's.

Years
  • Due to a matchup loophole in my team, the first run against Marshall didn't go well. Unfezant's "advantage" instantly dwindled as he was pelted with Stone Edge, followed by a crit OHKO on Haxorus. Serperior, Excadrill, and Zweilous never got to do much work. Thankfully, 5th Gen allowed you to face the E4 in any order you wished, so I defeated the other three members and outmatched Marshall through level.

Years
  • The one I always have an easy time with is Grimsley for some reason, likely because most of his team have weaknesses that can be easily exploited, and while they hit hard it's said weaknesses that take them down quickly.

Shauntal is definitely the most threatening regardless of what you're doing, that Chandelure of hers is not to be taken lightly, and Challenge Mode only made it even more of a nightmare with that Choice Scarf. Caitlin is also quite scary with that Metagross of hers, because let's face it they are so strong and never fun to fight.

Marshal may threaten Flying-types with Rock moves, but still a good Flying or Psychic move can easily destroy most of his team, the latter which he never seems to have a good answer to.

Back