• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How hard has the game been for you so far?

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2016
    After how disappointed people were by XY's (lack of) difficulty, there have been several people hoping that these games would be harder, like many saw the original Ruby and Sapphire.

At this point i'm only two badges in, and I have had the Exp. Share off the whole time, but i'm still having my levels rather high. On the route after Slateport (Route 110), i've been finding myself having to go back to the Pokémon Center a lot, which has been tough to deal with. But I beat Brawly without taking a single point of damage, granted I had a Flying-type and a Ralts but still.

How about you? How has the game been to you so far? Better than XY (as in harder)? Worse than XY? How is it? Discuss.

It hasn't been too difficult but I think that is because one of two factors for myself. One, I have dragon rage on one pokemon and the other is I played this game a million times back in the day so there are basically zero surprises when it comes to battles. I know most of the Pokemon and their moves before the battle even starts.

Years
  • Yea, once you get the gym badge from Petalburg, it starts getting incredibly difficult (That Gym was difficult on its own). The game has done better than what X & Y did, even though you have your Exp Share on, it's still extremely easy to find Pokemon in your level range or higher, unlike X & Y where the only place really with one's in your level would be at Victory Road or Pokemon Forest.

Lets not even talk about the final fight with Archie, his friggen Mega Sharpedo did me in almost. Surprised my Mightyena beat it.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I don't have the game, but, considering what the DexNav does, it would be wise to add a rule to challenges forbidding its use like with the Exp. Share.

To people doing Nuzlockes: let's avoid posting in this thread, shall we? Since Nuzlocking doesn't reflect the game's real difficulty.

I'm expecting the E4 second wave to be difficult because of the new Megas.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen Mar 19, 2024
    I'm not one of those who takes issue with a game being "easy," but it's kind of hilarious how OP I've been this whole time, though it is pretty much all my own doing, as I keep Exp. Share on, plus I Amie'd my team as soon as I could and I spend an inordinate amount of time dawdling in each route a lot longer than I have any business doing in the first pass through (Find all the things!). Two of my teammates were brought over as Lv. 1 hatchlings from Y but with all the Exp. it's a bit hard to keep them below the obedience threshold. But I just beat Flannery with all my 'mons over 40 so yeah... I certainly don't need all of them all the time. I feel like a force of nature, haha. I guess I'll find out about this steep difficulty increase soon enough since Petalburg's next.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • Right now I am just ev training before I go to meteor falls. So, turning off exp share and switching off shift in battle will make it a bit more challenging?

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    I found the game exceptionally easy, but that's partly down to knowing where most things are any what to do and all that. I pretty much solo'd the whole game with Mudkip/Swampert and fought as few trainers as possible as I was just trying to beat the game as quickly as possible. Because of that I died once to May and her pesky Mega Draining Grovyle, and I also weirdly died 4 times to the same trainer in Brawley's gym who literally (and I mean literally) crit with every single attack.

One thing that makes these games much easier than the originals is not only the Exp Share (which I had turned off for most of the game anyway to save time so that the HM slaves didn't have to evolve), but also the new TM Mechanics. I could basically teach anyone anything without worry that it might come back to bite me on the proverbial later on. I was also able to teach Marshtomp protect for one fight in the game, and that was with Norman and his Slakings, and after that was done, I immediately taught Surf over it and it was done.

One moment in the game that really made me laugh was accidentally sweeping Winona's team with Castform. I initially sent him out to set up the Rain for Mega Swampert, but I thought I'd give Swellow one Weather Ball to soften it up. OHKO. Next was Altaria. Hail + Weather Ball, OHKO. Then Skarmory gets OHKO'd to a crit. Only Pelliper managed to survive a hit and he went down next turn anyway. Castform OP.

Years
  • One thing I dislike is how much of a pain in the neck it is to soft reset for Latios and Groudon. (ΩR)

Ugh, yeah, I did the Southern Island stuff this morning and I was given Latios automatically...and it had an Adamant nature. Disgusting. Would've liked to be given the choice...

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    I didn't think this game was hard. I've beaten it, and done the Elite Four rematch.

I played through the game with the Exp Share, and I went through it with three Pokemon - Gardevoir, Swampert, and Armaldo.

The only time I "blacked-out" was that fight with May below Mauville. My Ralts hadn't evolved, and my Marshtomp wasn't high enough level to tank its Grass-type attacks, so I essentially couldn't do anything against it. But, then, I trained Ralts up like two levels, it evolved, and then I easily beat her.

Norman's Slaking was kind of tough, but Marshtomp was able to tank his attacks, so I could heal on his off turns. Plus, in the middle of the fight, he learned Protect, so it turned out to not be that bad.

Steven's Mega Metagross was also pretty strong (it could take out both Gardevoir and Armaldo in one hit), and it could almost take out Mega Swampert, but I could just barely take his attacks, so I could beat him.

Apart from that, the game was extremely easy. Every single one of Brawley's, Wattson's, Winona's, Tate and Liza's, Sydney's, and Drake's Pokemon went down in one hit. Roxanne, Flannery, Wallace, and Phoebe each had one Pokemon that required a second hit.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • It's easier than XY so far. My team is like 7 levels over the last gym leader. Sneak Pokemon with bumped up levels and that one ace trainer with the Milotic were the only challenging enemies lol.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • FINALLY received my copies of the game... I'll post my thoughts after the first round of E4 - which will probably take awhile because I want to take my time.

Anyway, I believe the games are "easier than the originals" for many people because perhaps, the originals weren't that difficult to begin with. Maybe the age factor was a major contributor? I remember first playing the game and struggled quite a lot throughout the journey, but that was also a time when I used a master ball on a seedot.

Still, with the Gen VI mechanics introduced, it might very well be easier than the original games.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I feel like EXP share might have been fixed a bit somehow? idk I wasn't feeling super overleveled for most of the game, even though I was dicking around catching Pokémon and rematching and everything. I mean, it might have felt a little harder because I haven't had much for type advantages really? but until like, Flannery, I was pretty much about where I would have been when I play Emerald. but also I think the leaders have been lower-levelled... but then when I crossed over to the Fortree side I started struggling a little (as in not two-shotting things even with type advantage).

So I dunno, it's def harder than XY, especially if you don't take the time to seek out all training possibilities and don't grind much. But it's not as hard as the originals I don't think. /ramble over

CurseShooter

Pokemon Legend
    Years
  • I've found this game way too easy so far. I've currently just finished beating Wallace and my team of 6 Pokemon are in late 50's. Levels 57-59 to be exact and I've only battled all the trainers without leaving any behind. The only challenge I have found so far was trying to catch Groudon with a Pokeball (playing OR). His catch rate is 5 if I'm not mistaken.

Years
  • In my opinion, it isn't hard, but it isn't easy either.

Idk, maybe its just me, but I don't find myself breezing through the game like I did in XY. And yes, I have the EXP share on but I am not over leveled at all.

Idk, I say its in-between easy and difficult. But thats for me.

CurseShooter

Pokemon Legend
    Years
  • In my opinion, it isn't hard, but it isn't easy either.

Idk, maybe its just me, but I don't find myself breezing through the game like I did in XY. And yes, I have the EXP share on but I am not over leveled at all.

Idk, I say its in-between easy and difficult. But thats for me.

Have you been battling every trainer?

Years
  • Since I've beat the main game (currently working on Delta Episode). I have to say that the game was mildly difficult. I didn't steamroll over gyms or criminal bosses, they actually challenged me, even May somewhat gave me a challenge in the early-middle parts of the game. Most difficult fight I had in the game was when I was fighting Archie for the final time before catching Kyogre, his Sharpedo Mega-Evolved and 1HKOed all of my Pokemon and my Mightyena beat it ever so slightly. In my opinion, it's visibly harder than X & Y (and this is with the EXP Share on), however it's not as difficult as the original.

I would highly recommend just like in the original R/S/E to level your team into the 70s+ area, because the Elite 4 has Pokemon that can easily steamroll you, especially Drake's team as it has Dragon Types and his Dragon Rush attack can OHKO you if you're in the 40-60s level area. The only reason that I beat the Elite 4+Steven was because I had a Level 85 Groudon from my Original Ruby, if I had not had him, I would have been in big trouble. However, that is not to say that he steamrolled them, I did almost loose him a few times.

CurseShooter

Pokemon Legend
    Years
  • Since I've beat the main game (currently working on Delta Episode). I have to say that the game was mildly difficult. I didn't steamroll over gyms or criminal bosses, they actually challenged me, even May somewhat gave me a challenge in the early-middle parts of the game. Most difficult fight I had in the game was when I was fighting Archie for the final time before catching Kyogre, his Sharpedo Mega-Evolved and 1HKOed all of my Pokemon and my Mightyena beat it ever so slightly. In my opinion, it's visibly harder than X & Y (and this is with the EXP Share on), however it's not as difficult as the original.

I would highly recommend just like in the original R/S/E to level your team into the 70s+ area, because the Elite 4 has Pokemon that can easily steamroll you, especially Drake's team as it has Dragon Types and his Dragon Rush attack can OHKO you if you're in the 40-60s level area. The only reason that I beat the Elite 4+Steven was because I had a Level 85 Groudon from my Original Ruby, if I had not had him, I would have been in big trouble. However, that is not to say that he steamrolled them, I did almost loose him a few times.

I haven't had such difficulty. Maybe it's the team's stats? I for one have battled all trainers and have yet to find trouble against trainers, leaders or rivals. Currently going through E4 with my team in mid 60's so let's see how that goes.

Years
  • I haven't had such difficulty. Maybe it's the team's stats? I for one have battled all trainers and have yet to find trouble against trainers, leaders or rivals. Currently going through E4 with my team in mid 60's so let's see how that goes.

Yea, I've noticed that some people haven't had much issue while others have had few difficulties. In all honestly, I think it comes down to what Pokemon you have and as you said the stats.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • So far it seems to be fairly comparable to the original. That said, I was just "blacked out" for the first time in several years. Perhaps since the 4th generation? I'm only an hour in, but my Poochyena and then Torchic were rolledout by a Maril... Just didnt have any moves that could do significant damage to it bacause of the Fairy typing...

Then I was searching in the grass and ended up sneaking up an a level 17 Tailow with very high attack. That's a high level for such a early route, route 116. It's wing attack almost took down my level 13 Poochyena in training.

I'm enjoying the game so far

Back