• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How hard has the game been for you so far?

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
  • I'm disappointed so far. I only just cleaned out that dungeon by Lilycove (not spoiling it) and the game has been a breeze. I've only had two game overs so far... against the Winstrate gauntlet when I was underleveled by one. That was meant to be a challenge and I came so close both times...

At the end of the day, these are much easier than the originals, and that mostly lies in that most of the thugs only have one Pokemon. The only random trainer I've had a problem with is Ace Trainer Jennifer, who as we all know is one of the toughest randoms in the entire series with that insane Milotic.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm glad Winona kept all her four Pokémon, I was most certainly expecting her to have just three as the majority of Kalos Leaders did. Not to mention they bumped up her levels slightly and retained the movesets of most of her Pokémon.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
  • It's been super easy until I met up with Brendan on Route 110 just now and he nearly wiped me out with that darn Combusken >_> Some of my Pokemon were under his level (19-20 since I have EXP share off) but still, usually rivals are really easy but I can remember back in Emerald that exact part gave me a hard time too >_> I think my problem was I didn't have a Pokemon to knock his Combusken out quickly before it started getting all those speed boosts plus I only have 4 reliable Pokemon on my team. My Pidgeot was too underleveled to get the job done. I had to weaken its attack with my ponyta/mightyena (until he too got knocked out) before I finally knocked it out with I believe ponyta spamming fire wheel.

Years
  • I'm glad Winona kept all her four Pokémon, I was most certainly expecting her to have just three as the majority of Kalos Leaders did. Not to mention they bumped up her levels slightly and retained the movesets of most of her Pokémon.

Yeah, I did notice they gave Cotton Guard to her Altaria instead of Dragon Dance like in the originals, but her attacks are still similar. Not that it mattered for me, as I OHKO'ed her with my Gardevoir anyway :P And Tate and Liza keep their teams much similar (only difference aside from levels is that Lunatone has Rock Slide instead of Flamethrower). Wallace has the same Pokémon in the initial fight but his movesets were a bit different, however.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Yeah, I did notice they gave Cotton Guard to her Altaria instead of Dragon Dance like in the originals, but her attacks are still similar. Not that it mattered for me, as I OHKO'ed her with my Gardevoir anyway :P And Tate and Liza keep their teams much similar (only difference aside from levels is that Lunatone has Rock Slide instead of Flamethrower). Wallace has the same Pokémon in the initial fight but his movesets were a bit different, however.

Yeah I'd say Cotton Guard is a pretty similar substitute to Dragon Dance with it giving a +3 Defense boost. I haven't reached the other two gym leaders yet, but I know T&L have increased levels which is even better!

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • I just got my 3DS with Alpha Sapphire, and I never got X & Y, so I was unaware that it was so easy. I was also unaware of how the Exp. Share works until a while after I got it. At first, I thought the game would be hard because of how the levels were scaling really close to mine. But then I got the Exp. Share.
    So early on? Jeez...

I just beat the Mauville Gym. WOW this thing makes the game easy, lol. Not having skipped any battles and without any grinding in the wild, my entire full party is at least 10 lvls overleveled. And it's made even easier with access to global trading early on where can I get either high-level Pokés to begin with, or low-level ones that grow extra fast.

However, I'm not so opposed to the easiness like a lot of others. I play to enjoy the story and the adventure (and the nostalgia :D).

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I take back what I said about being easy. I'm still having trouble getting through the 8th gym. Stupid ice paths. It's hard to walk on them once in every square. I hope I get through it tonight.

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
  • I've had a pretty easy time getting through the game. Some gym leaders I had trouble with in Emerald, like Brawly and Liza and Tate, I managed to take down on my first try. I did find catching Groudon pretty hard with the conditions and I failed to catch Deoxys so I had to get in in a trade.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    ORAS was as "challenging" as you would expect a Pokémon game to be from my experience, there are things I could have done to make my Pokémon over-leveled by keeping the EXP share on, exploring everywhere in the game as soon as I could (I didn't go through the water routes where Sea Mauville is, didn't go to Laverige (Spelling?) Town, didn't explore the "desert" until just before the Elite 4 because I decided just before doing the elite 4 I wanted to use a dark type and went to catch an Absol and it needed level upping before I did the Elite 4 (although training the Sharpedo I was using as my Surf/Diver could have been possible too, I just didn't want to), could have using the (mega) Latios (played OR) we are given for free (I liked how we can control the nature / IVs(to an extent) using the method in ORAS instead of it roaming). Also I played the game on set not switch.

Nothing in the game was difficult however, mega Swampert was too good from my experience (beat Wallace/Drake/Steven on its own, regular Swampert wouldn't have been able to do so, which made half wish we didn't get mega bracelet until post game or something because it was just a win button to mega evolve, it was level 58 vs. Steven), opponents pokemon not being Ev trained gives a huge advantage later in the game(even if disrupted evenly or only significant trainers having Ev'd pokemon would have made things more even). The most difficult parts were the large amounts of pokemon using confuse ray in the game, that was what caused most of the pokemon that did faint to faint.

GF gave the option to making the game too easy, I can imagine struggling as an 9 year old with the knowledge I had of Pokemon back then playing this, especially first playing through, although GF did help with a couple of little things such as when the TEAM was in Slatport all you had to do was enter the building to find the guy to let you get into the museum, I remember struggling with that during one of my playthroughs of Sapphire as a kid, also they let you teleport to Petelburg after 4th gym something I remember taking out the booklet that came with the game to try figure out how to progress through the game. Which I actually think is a good thing, imagine playing the game with terrible nature and not knowing the difference between physical and special moves, or even the typing of the pokemon you are playing against, that would make the game a bit challenging in my opinion.

This is all only looking through it from battling I haven't had time to start trying contests and all. I have gotten stuck at the 3rd (The one with Strength) trick house which I don't want to look up how to do because I haven't looked up anything about how to in this game other than mega stone locations and how to get 2 bikes, and the Shoal Cave time of day thing (which I was using for trying to get Slowbroite).

Karajan

The game was a lot easier than I thought it would be. But it was a bit better than X/Y.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    It was laughably easy and I went out of my way to avoid battles with trainers and wild pokemon

Even so, I beat Steven's level 59 Mega Metagross with a level 48 Mightyena with Fire Fang

Amie, Super Training and the Exp Share make this game a joke in terms of difficulty

If Steven was 10 levels higher during the initial Champion Battle, then I might have struggled

After the Delta Episode, I was around level 70-75

The Feves

Pikamon Pokéchu
    Years
  • I seem to remember the originals being very challenging, and the story very long. I didn't get that this time through. I did thoroughly enjoy the game all the way through, and ORAS has excellent post-game play, especially with the Delta-Episode and soaring about to find legendaries. I always think the games could offer so much more in the way of post-game storylines. I found ORAS to be on par with the ease that X/Y showcased until I reached the Elite Four, who were challenging but still pretty easy on the whole. Gamefreak is probably stuggling with making the game fit for both their adult and kid fanbases.

My one beef is that Diancie could probably have had more of a story, rather than the little snippet it receives. Oh well! Pokemon will always be one of my all-time favorite game series, and in the end they haven't really done me wrong (except for the character choices they made in BW2 lol).

Years
  • I only got it on Christmas so I haven't progressed that much (only just defeated 5th gym) but so far it hasn't really been challenging. The only difficulties I've had so far was the 3rd and 5th gym where my team didn't have any type advantages. Other than that though it's been quite easy.

Years
  • I'm 5 badges into the game (and about to face the routes I dread the most) and I can say, the Gyms so far have all gone too easy on me. My at-the-time Marshtomp solo'd both Wattson and Flannery, and I also had a Beautifly solo against Brawly (Beautifly's Gust is so OP early on) and even Norman somehow went easy on me, he didn't use Retaliate at all in that Gym battle.

Winona could put up a challenge once I reach her, but we'll see.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2014
    I did a nuzlocke challenge and it was unexpectedly easy and disappointing. I`m really upset that the battle frontier is not in the remake, that would be a true challenge for a lot of us.

Years
  • I'm 5 badges into the game (and about to face the routes I dread the most) and I can say, the Gyms so far have all gone too easy on me. My at-the-time Marshtomp solo'd both Wattson and Flannery, and I also had a Beautifly solo against Brawly (Beautifly's Gust is so OP early on) and even Norman somehow went easy on me, he didn't use Retaliate at all in that Gym battle.

Winona could put up a challenge once I reach her, but we'll see.

Considering you have Gardevoir for Altaria, and Manectric and Camerupt, I don't think she will. (My Gardevoir OHKO'ed that Altaria with Moonblast...). Wattson was the same deal for me I think, and Norman almost got my Hariyama by scoring a critical hit Retaliate while I had used Bulk Up, but that soloed him with 4 HP left.

Galmar

Banned
    Years
  • Game has been pretty easy for me so far, I currently have 2 Gym Badges. My Pokémon level up pretty fast.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've played about 17 hours and I have three badges so far. The first two badges were really easy (Treecko wreaks the first and Ralts the second Gym easily). I've had some trouble beating Walter, mainly because my team (four Pokemon at the time) was underleveled and literally every move my Pokemon had were resisted by his Pokemon (in general the Synergy in my team is terrible, but I'm not going to change much, because more difficult). Most of the time I've spend was about getting a higher Search Level or adjusting the levels on my team (I'm not using the EXP Share). Team range is between level 24-30, mostly because I trained a lot in order to make one of my Pokemon to evolve (not going to adjust the levels for a while, that's for sure).

So yea, the run is relatively challening so far, but that's mostly due to my restrictions. I'd probably be overpowered by now if I used the EXP Share. xD

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Mar 18, 2016
    I've just got my final badge and I am now training up to get higher for the elite four.

I've found this game easier than others I've played, I've not started X/Y yet so I don't know how it compares to that.

Back