• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How helpful would a C++ library be?

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
    Years
    I'm considering making an open source Pokemon Battle Simulation library for C++. I want to know if anyone would find it helpful. Do you think it would increase the amount of people who use C++ to make Pokemon games?

The library would of course come with classes for all Pokemon (getting rid of them would be as easy as setting a preprocessor directive, which is easier than it sounds). The battle class would not be too controlling, you would still have to process things yourself, but it helps you do it all. This way, it could also help with creating RPGs similar to, but not exactly Pokemon.

Furthermore, the library could be expanded into a .dll for GameMaker.

What do you guys think? If people like it, I suppose I could start programming next week (when my school work begins to die down). I'll be needing suggestions every once in a while though, for how people would prefer everything works.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
    Years
    Are you strictly programming logic, or are you also adding in control flow/threading?
    I think you should separate logic(=DLL) & execution(=EXE), personally. Then in GE, call the logic, and use GE's native stuffs to use it.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
    Years
    I will be mostly programming logic. Just to let anyone know, there will be no GUI, though if I make it a GameMaker .dll, I will add basic GUI in the GameMaker file to demonstrate how it all works. The C++ example file will probably be a console application.

I'm not exactly sure how exactly the best way to program it is. I suppose I'll start by making the example code first, and then build the functions that I'll need in the example code.

I'm not sure what you mean by "control flow/threading". Wikipedia is telling me something about ifs and elses. I will make the user check what action is supposed to happen and make them respond at their own way if that's what you mean. It will start with the user using a function that returns a queue of the order that the turns were calculated. The user will then get to choose if he wants to change the order based on effects or simply move on and calculate the attack damage. Again, the user can choose to modify the damage or to apply it right away. This does not mean I will not be including pre-made modifying abilities. I just want everything to be fully customizable.

Abilities and attacks will probably be comprised of singletons that contain virtual functions for the pre-made modifiers. The user can choose not to use them or even to overwrite them.

I understand that for most people, they will find it difficult. I will have documentation for how to use and link the library when it is finished. I'm sure at least 2 people will find use for this...

Last edited:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
    Wikipedia is telling me something about ifs and elses. I will make the user check what action is supposed to happen and make them respond at their own way if that's what you mean.
    That is exactly what he means...

It will start with the user using a function that returns a queue of the order that the turns were calculated. The user will then get to choose if he wants to change the order based on effects or simply move on and calculate the attack damage. Again, the user can choose to modify the damage or to apply it right away. This does not mean I will not be including pre-made modifying abilities. I just want everything to be fully customizable.

This going to be text based?

Years
    Well, I would love you forever if you released an Open Source of this engine D: . If it works of course. If not, but certain parts of it work, I'd still love to see it, since I'm going to start college either half way through next year or a full year from now for Game Programming :D

Back