• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How in touch are you with your culture?

Outlier

The culture of your nationality, country, religion or whatever it may be.

Years
  • Here's my culture in a nutshell.

Nationality: Australian. Been living in 'Straya for my whole life, over in Sydney. I know the country is well known for its love of sport, and we got dem bogans but we go very crazy during the summer thanks to the presence of barbecues, famous beaches and music festivals.

Religious: I'm a Catholic convert, I think I was converted around 2007.

Ethnicity: This one I'm totally confused on, but my heritage might trace back to the British roots or something.

So yeah, while I am a proud Aussie I don't really do a lot of stuff a typical Aussie person would do. I'm usually someone who can't go out in intense sunlight without sunscreen, t-shirt and a hat but hey I still love a nice walk along the beach just to stay true to a bit of our culture.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Um, I'm not really at all in touch with my culture. I don't think about religion much. I'm as American as I grew up to be, which is to say, not being concerned too much with what went on outside my own little bubble of experience. I'm pretty Midwestern, I guess. But that's all due to influences that I wasn't conscious of as I grew up. I don't feel as if I have very strong ties to anything in particular. And I don't really learn about my own cultures, whatever they are.

Unless you would count internet culture. I'm sure that could be broken down into various websites and backgrounds- people who grew up on social media, people who are adjusting to the internet, tumblr-facebook-twitter-forum-gaia-dA-chatroom kids, whatever the case may be. But that's really hard to define. Anyway, I'm quite a bit more in touch and involved with internet culture(s) than I am with anything offline. Which is interesting, I think. That the internet is a mish-mash of cultures producing more unique ones as it continues on. I'm sure that idea has been explored by people who actually know what they're talking about.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I don't really have a culture?

Not one that's considered foreign here, anyway.

My father was Mexican, but I've never met him. My mother is a mix of German, and Italian. The best I can say is that I was born in America, speak English, and I'm a typical America as far as how I grew up. I don't have any sort of foreign influence on my life, which is actually pretty dull. Wish I did sometimes.

Years
  • Er, well, I guess my nationality would be Canadian; my family follows Buddhism traditions, but I try not to because that would mean going to temples every weekend, which I don't do so I'm not religious at all. And ethnicity, I'm 3/4 Vietnamese and 1/4 Chinese, but I feel more in tune with the latter. There's nothing interesting in the former culture worth mentioning and have constantly wished I was 100% Chinese. There's nothing Vietnamese about me besides my last name...

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Nationality: My nationality is American. I'm not even sure what American culture is haha.

Ethnicity: I'm 3/4 African American and 1/4 Mexican. I'm not particularly in touch with either. My family is from the South so they're all into soul food and stuff like that...I like soul food but I'm not a connoisseur or anything. As for the Mexican, I speak a little bit of Spanish. Enough that I can have a conversation as long as the other person speaks slowly. That's about it xD

Religious: I guess being part African American I should be like, Baptist or something, and being part Mexican I should be Catholic, but I'm neither xD I'm pretty much a non-believer and I don't think much about religion. I'm more concerned with the nowlife than the afterlife.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I'm not really into the Australian culture at all. I don't speak like most people here and I identify much easier as either British or American or a bit of both. I've been influenced by their cultures my whole life so I feel a kind of welcome disconnect from my own.

Years
  • I'm with the other Australian's who have posted. i love my country but I really just don't fit in with the stereotype at all. I get bored by cricket and the AFL - I only pay attention to sports during the olympics really, I don't go to the beach much, I dislike seafood and don't like a lot of barbecued meat because it dries out more than it would on an indoor grill and I'm no heavy drinker or bogan either.

That being said I do subscribe to our long-time traditions of vegemite, wheat-bix and criticising our government.

Years
  • I despise much of my country's culture ( Italy ), especially food. We are so proud of it and claim it's the healthiest and the best tasting. We are outstanding butchers, that's for sure. Probably unrivaled in the quantity and variety of meat and dairy products, one more nauseous and unhealthy than the other. As a consequence, I regard my country as perverse in taste, preferring to eat something because it tastes 'good' rather than being healthy. Fortunately I know many people that care about their health and know better, but that's still a minority.
    There are many other aspects of the Italian culture that I don't like, they are too many to write here, and I quite don't want to.
    About religion, I am not even baptized. My parents had the very considerate idea of letting me choose, and I thank them dearly for that, since I am an agnostic atheist.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • For myself:

nationality - living in USA, I do enjoy all of our holidays, and foods, and way of life

ethnicity - I'm Mexican-American, so I speak Spanish, enjoy the Mexican traditions - foods, traditions, sports, which I learn from my grandma.

at times I do enjoy learning about other cultures via their food and their every day life traditions.

religion - never will, I gave up on religion, will never join any. I'm learning about other cultures, I ignore the religious parts.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I really feel like once you get to the U.S you're basically a melting pot of so many different cultures that you basically lose a since of what culture is. And my family isn't really religious. So I guess I'm not really in touch with my culture at all

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm not much in touch with my roots, honestly. Like...I don't even know what's American to do? Uhhh? I like to eat Waffle House, so that's pretty American. I don't live up to my southern expectations either. My accent is basically non-existent, to people that live here anyway. Those that live out of country that have heard it say that it's pretty subtle even for them.

I'm not religious, but I do have my own beliefs. It's not really anything to follow though, so idk.

Heritage...uhhh I can speak French, I can do a good British accent (does this even count!?!??!? lmao i'm scrapping the bottom of the barrell), I can hold my liquor well for a small person (ayeeee irish stereotype), and...I'm probably least in touch with my Native American roots.

Lord Kraith 2

Старый Сергей
    Years
  • Nationality: Republic of Buryatia, Russia. Though currently I'm living in the US and I will move back once I'm done with education in America.

Ethnicity: I'm Buryat Mongolian with some Northern Chinese, probably Manchurian or somewhere in Xinjiang autonomous and trace of European.

Religion: In Buryatia Buddhism is popular. But me and family are Catholic.

I keep in touch with my culture and I try my best to not lose it here in America. Very easy to lose culture in America. I dont want to end up like some people who only know English and don't know native culture. The culture I follow is mostly Mongol and small amounts of Chinese.

In every Olympics or international sports events I usually cheer for Russia, Mongolia, or Kazakhstan since they have similar culture. Food wise culturally, like with many Mongolians, 90% meat and dairy and 10% vegetables. This lifestyle I'm use to so its hard for me to like vegetables. Entertainment wise, mostly Japanese and it's anime.

Back