• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How is 50x+100=y going help me in my life?

Hiche..

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2014
    Honestly, anything that involves pure memorizing. I'd much rather use my head to answer questions than to stay hours memorizing notes. With that said, I would choose mathematics over history, sociology, etc anytime.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Urgh maths.... i hate it =+= I am fine with Algebra, but Consumer is horrible. I hate math problems with heaps of words and stuff. Just numbers please. History is cool when it isn't all about political stuff. Writings essays on stuff I enjoy is pretty fun actually. Speaking of which I need to write an essay for history on communism... PE is fun when it is practical, otherwise it is a bludge, same with Food Tech. I only like English when we are studying horror or fantasy otherwise it is dreadful to sit through each day. Music is pretty cool at the moment though. We are studying Mozart. Aaand I like biology so we are doing some interesting stuff, we are studying genes. I hate studying crap like electricity and chemicals in science. Bores me to death.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Math and I are mortal enemies, but throughout high school it kept a very firm grasp on me for some reason. I took all kinds of math that I actually ended up not needing for my program in university, including Physics, Advanced Functions (pre-calc?), and Data Management. I almost took Calculus, too. :< I was failing both Physics and Functions at the beginning of their respective semesters (but ended up passing both, swishhh!). Math's just never been my forte, I suppose. :(

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    Honestly, anything that involves pure memorizing. I'd much rather use my head to answer questions than to stay hours memorizing notes. With that said, I would choose mathematics over history, sociology, etc anytime.

I'm the exact opposite, I'd rather sit and memorize something than have to logically figure it out. That being said, math is my worst subject. I can do it, it just gets really boring and I lose interest fast, which makes it so much more difficult to get through when I start slacking.

I adore my social sciences like: history, sociology, economics, politcal science, etc.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I'd rather logically figure out the solutions to Math questions, then sit down memorizing stuff like World War Dates. :/; Trigonometry terrifies me. Everything else that revolves around Math, I think I'm pretty good at. For subjects like sociology, I'd write down on the basis of things I've understood. Math may get on my nerves sometimes when I can't figure out why angle AXB is equal to angle ABX, but I don't fully despise it. As for how it'll help me out in my life... I'll see someday.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I used to be good at math until about halfway through college. Nowadays there's too many formulas to memorize. I have a hard time with memorizing stuff, especially for tests.

And I never saw the purpose of solely reading literature in English class. I'd like to know how some old book written in the 1800s is going to help me in my life.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I hate math, but I am good at it.

I am good at all subjects. My favorite is Socail Studies because studying all the wars.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I only have real problems with German. I also hate Geography and History, but I'm actually good at them.

I'm pretty good at every subjects but German, especially Science and Maths.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I can tell you a thousand ways knowing basic math will help you in real life. One of the most important applications is in doing taxes.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Knowing how not to piss one's self in public isn't a necessary skill, but it helps in life to have learned it. Just the same math assists for those in fields were math is necessary.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
    It suprises me how so many people despise math and history.

Beautiful, math is simply beautiful. I mean, carry out an equation. Try to figure it out for yourself, really try. It's hard, you feel like giving up, but then there's that single ray of hope. What's this? Why haven't I tried applying this theory? And then bam, you've got the answer. Don't tell me that you're not satisfied. Don't tell me that the long equation you just wrote out on that piece of paper doesn't look like the best of poetry. Because I feel that way. It's the feeling of power. Don't let it go to waste.

As for history: cause and effect is what's important. Learning dates... useless. History's similar to math in that some things just seem to fit while others just elude your grasp. Add in that human factor and you've got a sociological science right there, trying to fiure out what possible motive figure so and so had for doing what zhe did. If not figuring things out, just learning of the rise and fall of great people and nations is enough. Adapt their methods. Don't fall prey to their mistakes. Niccolo Machiavelli ftw.

Nuff said.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    I like maths and Science, but I absolutely hate History, it's really boring IMO.

I am good at lots of subjects. Media and English are the only subjects I'm not good at. XP

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Do you have difficulties learning on subjects and/or part of a subject?
    Even though it's hard for you to learn on that subject do you still study on it or just continue procrastinating?
    Will you stop being a nerd?

OHHHH, BURRRRRN, CALCULUS! If I've ever had difficulties with learning any subject, that is the one. I'd rather procrastinate on it, yet I still must trod on and manage with all the filthy, utter crap it involves. The Power Rule and using Critical Numbers are the easiest things I've found in there. I feel that math nerds made it a required course just to piss me off. I want to punch Calculus up, stomp on it, rip, maim, and tear it, torch it, shred it, electrocute it, and lots of other things that would channel my anger toward it but I can't properly express in words. The stupid course was even responsible for making me lose files of a story that was VERY dear to me, not to mention a bunch of school Powerpoints and my Pokemon nickname/development files. Until I find them, I shall forever hold a grudge against Calculus for ruining a good portion of my life. :cer_pissed:

I feel your pain though. I seriously feel your pain. Math for me is sometimes...just so ugh! It's difficult.

I can see the real logic in basic algebra and such, but I really don't see the logic in subjects like geometry and calculus unless the field you're going into requires it. x3

THIS! Knowing whether a graph is concave up or concave down is not going to help me provide care to others in the medical field when I finish with classes down the road! Geometry is partially useful because it helps with videogame design...

Ancient Greek.
    Seriously, WHY IN THE WORLD do we have to be taught ancient Greek? In order to be able to communicate with the locals when we travel back in time? I never pay attention, due to the fact that it is the most useless lesson I've ever seen.

THIS TOO! I get aggravated whenever students get "forced" to learn languages they don't want to learn! If I want to invest time in a language, I'll do it in the language I want to learn, when I want to. And a lot of languages requirements are only instituted to make students "aware of the world beyond them". I've been doing that with Japanese culture since elementary school, darn it! IT'S CALLED WATCHING POCKET MONSTERS, DIGITAL MONSTERS, AND POWER RANGERS SINCE MY YOUTH!!!! I mean honestly...don't force languages on people just for the sake of "diversity" and what not. If people take a liking to a certain language, they'll take a liking to it. All language is for is simply for ease of communication and "artistic expression". Learning how to say "El perro es estupido." is not going to help me save people's lives in the medical field. The only use for learning Spanish is to interpret the words of non-English-speaking individuals, and the whole problem only exists due to the great inconvenience of language barriers today. Without language barriers, "learning a foreign language" would have no basis in the medical field. And no, "medical lexicon" does not count. -_- I would rather be learning more science rather than "becoming open to other cultures" yet again, when I am already open to my own culture, the American culture, Japanese culture, and still have to juggle schoolwork alongside being "open" to so many darn cultures. >_> GAWRSH.
    That being said, my new personal enemy is Anatomy. Sure, I took it in high school with no real problems, but it gets crazy complex in college. I think I'm supposed to know around 100 muscles, where they originate, where they insert, and the actions they perform by tomorrow... and I know like three. Maybe. On top of that, I've procrastinated too long and now I have three essays due for an English portfolio tomorrow as well - oh, and a Sociology quiz. Almost forgot that last one.

So, it's not so much that I'm bad in any subject... it's that I'm currently too uninterested to actually stay afloat. It's like having senioritis, but so much worse 'cause I can't get away with it.

Oddly enough, when I took high school Anatomy & Physiology earlier, the unit that posed the most difficulty to me was those gosh-darn muscles. They're all clumps of red meat that look the same! Nearly every other body system had distinguishable individual components (especially skeletal and digestive systems), but muscles are just AAAAGH. I even had trouble with them in a science competition at one point. I feel they help much more than Calculus does, but MY GOSH is the identification confusing at times (mostly because all of the muscles are squashed together and a lot of them have similar names or similar shapes).

Good luck on your English and Sociology assignments... I tend to procrastinate a lot, but only to the point where I'd have one essay due at the last minute, not THREE. >_>

Math and I are mortal enemies, but throughout high school it kept a very firm grasp on me for some reason. I took all kinds of math that I actually ended up not needing for my program in university, including Physics, Advanced Functions (pre-calc?), and Data Management. I almost took Calculus, too. :< I was failing both Physics and Functions at the beginning of their respective semesters (but ended up passing both, swishhh!). Math's just never been my forte, I suppose. :(

Before I began learning Calculus, math came a bit easily to me, and at times I enjoyed completing math problems. But now Calculus has sucked the fun out of math with its unnecessary tediousness. I contemplated taking Pre-Calculus, but I learned that AP Calculus was being offered as well, and it was my last chance to net some AP math credit (I ended up not even getting said AP Credit because my AP exam score for Calculus did not satisfy the requirement. DARN CALCULUS IN ALL ITS FORMS!!!). :(

I'm the exact opposite, I'd rather sit and memorize something than have to logically figure it out. That being said, math is my worst subject. I can do it, it just gets really boring and I lose interest fast, which makes it so much more difficult to get through when I start slacking.

I adore my social sciences like: history, sociology, economics, politcal science, etc.

I'd rather memorize content as well than have to apply some learned process. I mean, which is easier, just having to memorize a quadratic equation's solution itself, or having to recall all the steps of a process to get said solution, where it's quite easy to make a simple tiny mistake that could throw ALL your calculations off?

I used to be good at math until about halfway through college. Nowadays there's too many formulas to memorize. I have a hard time with memorizing stuff, especially for tests.

And I never saw the purpose of solely reading literature in English class. I'd like to know how some old book written in the 1800s is going to help me in my life.

THIS!

It suprises me how so many people despise math and history.

Beautiful, math is simply beautiful. I mean, carry out an equation. Try to figure it out for yourself, really try. It's hard, you feel like giving up, but then there's that single ray of hope. What's this? Why haven't I tried applying this theory? And then bam, you've got the answer. Don't tell me that you're not satisfied. Don't tell me that the long equation you just wrote out on that piece of paper doesn't look like the best of poetry. Because I feel that way. It's the feeling of power. Don't let it go to waste.

As for history: cause and effect is what's important. Learning dates... useless. History's similar to math in that some things just seem to fit while others just elude your grasp. Add in that human factor and you've got a sociological science right there, trying to fiure out what possible motive figure so and so had for doing what zhe did. If not figuring things out, just learning of the rise and fall of great people and nations is enough. Adapt their methods. Don't fall prey to their mistakes. Niccolo Machiavelli ftw.

Nuff said.

You know, I honestly liked that feeling of solving a long math problem, but these days the reward (maybe 5 points per problem) is not worth all the time invested into said problem, not factoring in the time you spend backtracking, correcting, and fixing errors in case mistakes happen to be made. Catching a Pokemon is SO much more satisfying than any math problem, IMO. :cer_nod: At least your accomplishments in Pokemon can have slightly farther-reaching effects, as opposed to some random long division problem you did years back that neither you, your classmates, or your teacher care about now.

And honestly, longer problems should be worth more points! "1+2" should not be worth the same amount of points as finding the derivative and integral of "(x^2.5+(46/x)*e)^(1/5)"!

I like history because date memorization is an easier task. However, I only think learning about positively influential people of the past is needed, rather than having students trying to figure out the motives behind idiots such as Hitler, Stalin, and Saddam Hussein who only wish for power and the death of others. I sympathize and offer condolences to the millions of people who were unjustly oppressed and affected by those regimes, but I really don't give a crap about those individual dictators who "fell prey" to corruption and stuff. Yes, "those who don't learn their history may be bound to repeat it" (it's not a "definite/destined" occurrence like the original quote implies; there is such a thing as common sense these days), but I would assume that most people wouldn't bother doing/repeating the borderline insane things those dictators did - persuading masses that the massacring of others benefits you in the long run..? If someone want to figure out the "motives" behind such rulers and stuff, they can knock yourself, but such a learning requirement shouldn't be imposed on EVERYONE. And as long as there's a modern "incentive" to be corrupt, unfortunately, government corruption will likely occur for quite some time to come, so learning about history really won't do anything to fix the problem much if it perpetuates even today...

And learning how some obscure person wrote some random politically-fueled book in the past will not help me care for the people living today right now!

I can tell you a thousand ways knowing basic math will help you in real life. One of the most important applications is in doing taxes.

True...but government forces that on us anyway. And Pokemon people don't have to pay taxes, and they're still successful... -.-

Additional comment about English classes: Analyzing how Hamlet is "supposedly clever" (yeah right :P) or how the red statue represents wars gone by will not help me in the medical field either! Analyzing literature is OK and stuff, but there are things that should be prioritized above that! Learning how some random lady constantly annoyingly flirts with two other male suitors in an epistolary novel in the 1700s will not help me to make advances in the medical field, nor will it help me properly catch Pokeymanz or beat Dragon Tamer Nicholas!

Gah...I hate English's "interpretative" nature as well. Since essentially nothing is "absolute", your grades can be profoundly affected simply by the person grading your paper or other literary assignments!

I love learning science, particularly biology and physics which have not proven to be excessively difficult for me (chemistry is interesting, but the math and tedious processes bogs down my enjoyability of it). Biology will actually benefit me in the medical field, and physics also plays a role in medicinal studies, not to help that it can actually help out in shonen fights and stuff in anime. ;) Frequently, I want to yell at the science of nursing, because several stuff in there connects to things (i.e., two things in entirely different body systems) that you wouldn't even think are related to each other in the first place! :cer_pissed:

-----------------

Tl;dr: Calculus is the bane of my academic career and my mortal nemesis with its difficulties; muscles make me cry; dictators suck A LOT and I shouldn't have to learn about them when I could be helping people or playing Pokemon; students shouldn't be forced to "being open to other cultures" for diversity's sake; history is unnecessary for the most part unless it's about good pplz; I interpret English to typically be a bore; science has the potential to be awesome but chemistry and nursing make it suckish;
    Pokemon is awesome.

Gabri

m8
    Years
    My Portuguese classes are hell (come on, how the hell will knowing every.single.detail. about poems and books written 500 years ago help me in life?!). Any subject that is not science-related has always been a pain in the ass to me (except P.E.)
    Math is something I'm actually good at, along with Physics. About Biology... it's not that it's that hard to understand but I just don't like it.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Math. I purposely fail that subject if I can. I just hate Math. Yes, I am good at it but it still is hard. Algebra, Calculus, Trigonometry..it just makes me think too much. When I think too much, my head hurts and sometimes, I even faint. @.@

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    I use Math everyday.

I use Chemistry even more. We learned a type of problem in Chemistry (box problems) that can basically be applied to anything.

YAY MATH!

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    Until like 9th grade I was good at Mathematics, and then I hit a wall (boom!) :( Geometry massacred me, and now I'm stuck with a B- in Math Analysis CP (ugh).
    Chemistry AP, however, is the most hellish class imaginable. i would only recommend it as a torture for the worst of criminals.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    I purposely fail that subject if I can.
    Error detected. Failing a subject is as simple as handing in a blank answer sheet. Considering that you have to hand in your answer sheet anyway, it's literally effortless to fail.

I dislike learning humanities, much like Feynman. Biology hurts too. The lack of numbers makes me disinterested.

I love Maths, Physics and Chemistry (Maths most among them).

I'll leave you with this quotation from Carl Sagan, in his book "Billions and Billions":
    "If you know a thing only qualitatively, you know it no more than vaguely. If you know it quantitatively - grasping some numerical measure that distinguishes it from an infinite number of other possibilities - you are beginning to know it deeply."

Back