• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How is your attention span?

Years
  • Do you have a good attention span and are able to focus well on things? Or do you usually find yourself distracted and doing something else, like browsing your phone, during tasks? Do you feel your attention span has improved or worsened over time? Let us know!

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    When I'm in the right moods, I'm hyperfocused on what I'm doing. It'll get to the point where I can block out things around me to get done what I need done.

And then other times I'm in a completely different mood and am so easily distracted that I get nothing done.

There is no in between.

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • What attention span?
    fr though, I've been having a hard time in the past few months with trying to focus on school work. Every time I think I'm getting better and taking steps in the right direction, I end up taking a step back to where I started. I can't just sit down and grind on school work for hours... which is a problem when I keep putting off all my work until last minute. The only time I can work for hours on end is when I'm hyper-fixated on drawing- which distracts me from school stuff. I fell behind on a lot and I want to finish it all before Thanksgiving break next week, but realistically I don't think that will be happening.

I will say, one thing that helps me is pomodoro- which is 50 minutes of working and a 10 minute break. There are compilations on Youtube that play lo-fi and calm music in the background. Usually I can work efficiently for 2 sessions before my focus starts to wander. I also try to organize my desk so there's less clutter, and putting my phone out of sight so I don't try to mess around.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Fairly good. Focuses well when needed. Locks in after a few minutes or so. Dims the surrounding (and internal) noise.

Remained pretty steady over the years. Allowed some distractions while doing homework. Happened the most during math, probably. Arguably helped (at the cost of taking far more time). Watched television between problems. Disrupted the rhythmic nature of it. Demanded more memory to recall the steps. Drilled it in deeper...maybe.

Affected humanity subjects less. Presented fewer natural breakpoints.

Years
  • If I'm doing something I like, nothing can distract me.
    However, anything else, and I just look around all the time.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I've never had a good attention span which has been challenging when it comes to school but I make the best of what I have. I cannot for the life of me focus when I'm being taught via audio (lectures or classes where the teacher explains verbally) but I am able to focus a bit more and retain a lot more when reading. I get distracted a lot when I'm working but I'm persistent at trying to stick to a schedule or to do list so I end up getting tasks done even if it takes a lot longer than it should.

I do well when studying with other people though for some reason, people used to compliment how well I could focus and not chat despite other people around me not studying. So I'm not sure what my attention span is at this point :D

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    What was the question

But idk I'd say if I'm engaged by something or enjoy something my attention span is ok. Otherwise it's… not great? I'm very easily distracted, but I can also really easily hyper-fixate on things. I think it all just depends on how engaged I am with something, I'm not good at forcing myself to pay attention to something that isn't grabbing me

Years
    • Online now
    My attention span isn't great. I need to pause things and move around periodically.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Depends on whether I'm doing something I like or not.
    If I am I can easily spend all day focused on it, if not... well, once I manage to get started on whatever it is I can do the same, but the problem is usually getting to that point in that case xD

Years
  • Very fragile if I'm not hyper-fixated to it. If I am, I can go on for months straight just focusing on that one thing.

Explains how I was able to spam 15k posts in under 6 months last time

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    If it's something I'm interested in, my attention span can go very long. I can play video games for hours on end, or watch a good movie with no issue whatsoever. At work, I've noticed I can manage about an hour of uninterrupted concentration, which I think is solid. Especially since I'm looking at a screen, it's good that I get up and take a breather every hour or so. It works for me.

If you're asking me to concentrate on something that bores me, my attention span shortens reeeeeal quick. Can't imagine I'm alone on that front.

Back