• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How is your team balanced out?

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2006
    enyce said:
    I think HM's are the worst things ever. I freaking hate them... I wish they were never added. Accept fly and Surf. I hate the rest of them. Cut should of never been made. They could of gotten rid of the dumb trees. Flash is stupid too. Strength is a normal attack....that cant be forgotten. Whirlpool sucks, and waterfall is just surf minus 15 in base power.

I dont know nothing about 8 or 9...Never played R/S/E

they took out whirlpool and add rock smash and dive

rock smash = worst hm ever

dive = water version of fly not great but could be usable

Demonta

Jem Juggler
    Years
    Yeah, I wish HMs didn't take a space in your 4 moves, I always keep all the HMs in my team but they really make my team weaker, because of them, my team loses the space for a lot of good moves!

Wierdo, your team is quite good, what levels are they?

And guys (and girls) how do you feel about legandaries, I try to stuff as many as possible in my team to show off and for good battling unless they are indeed too low leveled e.g. the regis, a lot of people seems to dislike them.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Everyone has their own opinions about uber/legendaries. I see it as a sign of a weak trainer that needs that extra power to feel competitive. Again, just my opinion.

As others have said, I always raise a balanced team. I will always start off with Mudkip (far and away the best all around starter ever) and 5 Zigzagoon. I will catch a Taillow since it is good early on, especially in the 2nd gym, and a Nincada to get through Granite Cave. I will then either trade in or catch/raise a Fighting/Electric and Psychic/Fighting Poke (typically Medicham/Magneton or Gardevoir/Hariyama) to my party and I will use those three, along with Zigzagoon/Linoone/HM slaves until I get to the Secret Base I want to set up, mix records and start all over.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I usually start off with either choosing Mudkip or Treecko (seeing as Blaziken is obviously the worst one) and catch the five first Zigzagoons I meet. Then I train my starter to around level 16 before battling the first gym. I often catch something like a Wurmple or Wingull just to help my starter out a little, but often dump the Pokémon once I get something better. I often train a Breloom in the Petalburg woods too.
    Once I get to Dewford town, I usually train myself a Tentacool or Gyarados and either catch an Abra, Machop, Geodude or Aron from the Granite cave and train it.
    This is basicaly how I keep my team balanced, I always train them to equal levels and when I find a Pokémon that might have potential to be one of the members in my team, I catch it.
    I also EV train Pokémon I find later in the game, depending on how easy it is to EV train them, that is.
    lol all bug, maybe one good firetype could kill them all...no offence
    An EV trained Heracross or Butterfree could easily kick your ''good fire type's'' butt -_- Besides, there's something called ''wanting to make the game challenging''. Which I didn't expect you to know, seeing as you need ubers to beat the game, I mean come on, the AI sucks, you don't need any uberly powerful Pokémon to beat the league -_-

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Demonta said:
    And guys (and girls) how do you feel about legandaries, I try to stuff as many as possible in my team to show off and for good battling unless they are indeed too low leveled e.g. the regis, a lot of people seems to dislike them.

Well I won't have them in my team because they are legendaries, but because I like them. I like Lugia, so I would have that on my team, but I don't like Entei, so I wouldn't have that. My teams are basically made out of pokemon I like, because if I have pokemon I hate in my team I just don't care if they faint.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2006
    I really dont need a team of six! i can pwn yall with one... my BLAZIKEN, it knows, blaze kick, thunder punch, aerial ace, and sky uppercut. pwns ya all !!!!!
    But other wise i train multi types (Venasaur being one and Charizard the other) so yeah!!!

Demonta

Jem Juggler
    Years
    what if a good water pokemon like kyogre with hydro pump blasted you 2 or 3 times? (to blaziken)

... all so... smarties-kun... what have I actually said at all about beating the league! "Besides, there's something called ''wanting to make the game challenging''. Which I didn't expect you to know". Please don't try to insult me,"maybe" one "good" fire type could all, maybe, hear that?

So please do NOT be rude.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    the best hoenn 92 said:
    I really dont need a team of six! i can pwn yall with one... my BLAZIKEN, it knows, blaze kick, thunder punch, aerial ace, and sky uppercut. pwns ya all !!!!!
    But other wise i train multi types (Venasaur being one and Charizard the other) so yeah!!!
    Not to be rude, but you really shouldn't proclaim that your Blaziken "pwns ya all!!!!", especially since a Swampert could switch-in on you and beat the living crap out of it. Swampert is immune to Thunder Punch, resists Blaze Kick, and has good enough defense (Base 90 Def) to handle STAB Sky Uppercut and non-STAB Aerial Ace, both of which only do normal damage. Blaziken, on the other hand, has to deal with only having average defenses (Base 70 Def and 70 SDef) and a STAB Surf and Earthquake that it is 2x weak against. Absolutely no contest.

On topic - This thread has certainly shown different opinions about how balanced a team is. It all depends on the trainer. When I am not setting up Secret Bases, I will use a team of 6 Pokes and raise them equally. When I am setting up Secret Bases, I want to get through the game as quickly as possible, which Muckip is the best at. To each their own.

pikachulover306

*~~Pika Power~~*
    Years
    what i do is have diferent types like my team now:
    (i restarted my game)
    combusken/ fighting/fire
    dustox/bug/poison/
    mightyena/dark
    kirlia/psychic
    peliper/water/flying
    i have a zigzagoon but i just have it to pick up items and for HM moves my better one is in the pc. anyway i like to use pokemon with two types so i can be ready for anything

Gentleman J

Going to the Poké Ball also?
    Years
    like lolownow wayys duudue@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my Kyoegr totally pown$Z with qaudruple stab raindance SURF and it only needs one move and its faster too LOL

Gentleman J

Going to the Poké Ball also?
    Years
    Hmm, never heard of those, but I have a Huntail and Relicanth (Reli heading to 100) I bet no one here has ever heard of them either.

Back