• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Large do you like your Pokedex?

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
Years
  • I find it bothers me if a Pokedex is just too large to be fun to fill (I'm looking at you, Gen 3 National Dex in Emerald 386). I prefer to play hacks where the number of Pokemon in the Dex is more reasonable, say 200 +- 20. That's how I want to do it in my own hack.

What's your opinion on this? Do you think the more, the merrier? That it's a waste of a hack to not include a full catchable Pokedex? Should there always be later-gen Pokemon hacked into 3rd-Gen ROMs? Do you love the added freedom of having tons of Pokemon to choose from?
    Or do you prefer a tailored, specifically chosen and limited Pokedex?
    What number of Pokemon do you plan to have in your hack?

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • I like having alot to catch, adds another challenge. In a hack, I don't care, as long as you can complete the dex. (Thats my favourite thing to do in a pokemon game, after all, the slogan is "Gotta catch em all!")

With mine, keeping most of the genaration 1/2/3 pokemon, knocking out those I don't think would make sense to include (Mostly legendaries) and filling in the empty spots with a couple fakemon. (Only going to have 14)

Years
  • About 200~250, but after the Elite Four, more areas become accessable and available pokemon amount may go up to full national dex of Gen III.
    That's what I always planned to have in my first major hack.

Cloyster93

who's gun is this rifle?
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 24, 2015
    Generation II size was my favourite.

Gen III was pushing it.

Gen IV and onwards are REALLY taking it too far in my opinion.

newmexico

College Student
    Years
  • I don't tend to put a whole lot of energy into completing the dex, because I'm not going to train more than half of what I catch anyway. I'm a more-the-merrier kind of girl--why not have access to the whole National Dex? But I think the main regional dex should be specifically chosen and somewhat limited. I don't care what cool Pokemon you've inserted, if it doesn't make sense for them to populate the world you've created, I don't want it there.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't really care all too much. In hacks I just play them to complete them and do the extra things they have for the player, but completing the Pokedex has never been my goal. Same with the Vanilla games, I don't really care much about catching every pokemon or even finding every pokemon, I usually find other ways to amuse myself, but I catch pokemon for fun and mainly only catch the ones I like instead of every one I see.

But, if I had to pick an amount, around 150 is good for a Pre-National Dex.

Mr. Magius

  
    Years
  • I think a smaller Pokédex is okay for me. I don't mind having tons of Pokémon, but the fact is that you have to stick them in a little region. A big chunk of these Pokémon are found in only one small area.

I prefer to stick with a minimal amount, yet the small numbers can be found in quirkier places. It really magnifies the Pokédex if you have interesting locations to place their inhabitants! :-)

Years
  • 250-270 pokemon would probably be about reasonable for a Gen III hack. Certain legendaries aren't meant to be catched so I wouldn't include them in my hack if I was to make one although I might have them mentioned by name but nothing more.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I like to stick to the original around 150 pokemon, mainly because it's enough for there to be a lot of Pokemon and not too overfilled. One of them main things I dislike about hacks with 200+ fakemon is that when you have to put them all in one region it gets a bit crowded and you have to stuff 5-10 different Pokemon in each route. ;; And of course after the E4/Champion you can always have the national dex.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • I really don't care about the size. I use whatever pokemon I have available. I filled the dex in my emerald legitmately (except for mew...), and I didn't think it wasn't fun. I guess that for competative battling it would be better the more pokemon you have, but as for ingame, so long as you don't remove all but 20 pokemon, I think you should be fine.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Focus. The more you take the hack's focus away from the collective obsession that the Pokedex offers, and towards storyline or length, the less the Pokemon you should include.

Besides, the only time I'd really be amazed by a big pokedex, would be if the wild pokemon caught in each route had a variety just as wide-especially in the beginning, where 2/3 of the hacks have the usual bird or rodent lying around.

GoombaGeek

what does this box do
    Years
  • I'd be happy with about 100 if they were all fairly unique. 150 would be optimum, because anything past 200 seems like too much. But you should go for good type coverage in that case - making fifty generic normal-types in a 150-strong dex is inexcusable.

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2015
    Well in my opinion, i think having a large pokedex is a bigger challenge, but depends up to where and how long the hack is.

FrozenInfernoZX

What is out there?
    Years
  • If I am able to find a way to edit the pokemon numbers and order for my region, since it's kind of huge. I would probably like around a 200-250 region dex.

Back