• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How long have you been playing?

Years
  • Some users here have been playing Pokemon all their lives and have grown up with the series, whilst others are new to the games and are looking for a way to get into them. So how long have you been playing for? Bonus Question, when did you enjoy playing Pokemon the most? :)

Years
  • Let's see, I bought a used Pokemon Blue around fall 2009, so that was my start. I later got my own game (What I call my official start) on Christmas 2009. (Pokemon Platinum ^_^)

2009-2012: During this time I played Pokemon the most, I got merch, had friends who still played it, and watched the anime. This period has my fondest memories of playing Pokemon.

2013-2016: I slowed down playing due to my dislike of XY and having my interest shifted to mobile games. I played occasionally during this time.

2016-Right Now: My love for Pokemon has been brought back with the release of Sun/Moon, I even went back to pick up ORAS. (Which was way better than XY in my opinion). I also stopped playing cheap mobile games.

Last edited:

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • I first got the Gold game when it came out. I was well into Poke-mania then.
    I really enjoyed getting back to it with Sapphire as well.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    If my calculation is correct I started playing Pok?mon in 2004, at six years of age. So it's basically been in my life the majority of it. I always enjoy playing, but my favourite time was Gen III/IV when everyone around the block played it. My very favourite activity was trading Pok?mon and receiving some rare Pok?mon from people I wouldn't interact with if it weren't for Pok?mon. But even just sitting together and playing your own game, not even talking to each other but just minding your business, was something I enjoyed a lot. Though I still got those friends, with WiFi there's no necessity to physically meet up for trades and battles, and we also got older which means less time (and maybe less desire) to get outside and play Pok?mon together. When we have such meet-up and play sessions once in a while, I have the time of my life. It feels nice to be surrounded by people who share your interest/passion.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Started playing in 1998 so that means I'll have been playing for 19 years now! My favourite time was probably 2006-2010 during gens IV & V, though I still really enjoy the games today.

Coffee

Banned
    Years
  • I started playing around 2012 when I got some pokemon cards from someone. I already knew a bit about Pokemon.
    I started with emulators on pc because I was a broke fellah. Now I have a 2ds with 4 pokeyman games huehue.
    Tbh tho it feels like I've been playing since 2005

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
    Years
  • 2001 - 2003: First games: Blue, Yellow, Gold.
    2003 - 2005: Got GBA SP, Sapphire.
    2005 - 2007: Gave my brother Sapphire when received Emerald. PMD R/B
    2007 - 2010: Got NDS w/ Diamond, Platinum, PMD D&S.
    2010 - 2014: Interest in Pok?mon went away. Occassionally replayed a few things.
    2015 - 2016: Revival. Re-played games through randomizing and fan games. Started watching anime from EP1 to catch up with X&Y. Made few arrangements for covers with GP5.
    2016 - 2017: Bought 3DS for Gen 6 - 7 games. Joined forum :)

Years
  • Personally, I started playing in about 2005 when I got FireRed but I played the most when I was completely obsessed with Emerald, having a save with almost 700 hours and the having to reset it due to a glitch, so god knows how long I played after that.

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
  • I was 8 when Pok?mon Red and Blue were released so I've been playing the games since the very start. I still have to stop and remember sometimes that there are new generations of players; I find it strange when people say their first game was Diamond and Pearl or something. Makes me feel old haha!

My favourite time playing Pok?mon was definitely Gen 2. I was still a carefree child who would sit in the garden with my GBC in the summer holidays playing Gold. My nostalgia for that era is far greater than it is for Gen 1.

Years
  • I got my first game for a birthday popresent in and around the 17 year mark of my life with pokemon yellow as a birthday present. I have many fond memorys of that old game and my favourite era was gold and silver. Next to Alola Jhoto is my all time fav region. And now as a father I am passing my love of Pokemon onto my daughter

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I remember some of the Johto series of the anime and I played TCG around the time RS came out, but my first game was Emerald. Got very into all things pok?mon during Gen IV as wi-fi combined with this site meant I could finally trade, and I also got into the anime and the manga. Kinda drifted away from it a bit between Black / White and their sequels - although I've bought Black 2 I can't afford a new console so that's probably where it'll end. Definitely my favourite time for playing was when HeartGold / SoulSilver came out.

pkmin3033

I've been playing Pokemon since Red/Blue were released over here, which was...June 1999, according to Wikipedia. I'll assume that's correct, because I can't remember that far back.

I guess I enjoyed Pokemon the most during Gen IV...I took to Diamond immediately, and the online features meant I could play with people I knew online, and I was very sociable back then. Platinum was great, and HG/SS were fantastically nostalgic. Alongside the Mystery Dungeon titles, it pretty much revitalised my interest in the franchise, after it had started to wane a bit after Gen III, even if Emerald was pretty good in hindsight.

CutePandaPlayz

PizzaCai
    Years
  • Some users here have been playing Pokemon all their lives and have grown up with the series, whilst others are new to the games and are looking for a way to get into them. So how long have you been playing for? Bonus Question, when did you enjoy playing Pokemon the most? :)

I've been playing since the start of ORAS. atm I have Y, X, Omega Ruby, And Sun.

I mostly enjoyed playing Pokemon sun since it was so much of a change.

Years
  • I've been playing since the start of ORAS. atm I have Y, X, Omega Ruby, And Sun.

I mostly enjoyed playing Pokemon sun since it was so much of a change.

Yeah Sun and Moon was a massive change from the regular formula of Pokemon, from someday that started playing during the 3DS era of Pokemon, have you considered going back and playing some of the other titles?

Guest123_x1

I've been playing the main Pok?mon games since getting Yellow for Christmas 1999, but I've had several off-periods where I didn't play as much or at all. I'll break the timeline down as follows:

1999-c. 2003: Played Yellow, then Blue, and the three Generation II entries on nearly a daily basis.

2003-late 2005: My playing of the Pok?mon games dropped off considerably during this time, and I never got a Game Boy Advance to play Generation III, which I was kind of turned off from due to the fact that you couldn't import Pok?mon from the early two generations into the Advance Generation games.

2006-2012: I traded in all my Pok?mon games that I had at the time in early 2006, as I tried to get out of the franchise entirely.

c. mid-2012-2015: As I was starting to go through some rough times in my life, I started playing the Generation I and II games that I grew up with via emulators, and towards the end of this period (around mid-2014), I began having thoughts of looking for used copies of the Game Boy main series games that I once owned, and a job coach that I worked with around that time told me about the Generation VI games, particularly the Hoenn remakes.

January 2015-present: After being talked into it by the aforementioned job coach, I bought myself a used 2DS and a used copy of Alpha Sapphire, as I wanted to get back in by doing the then-current generation. Although I played Alpha Sapphire quite a bit in the first few months, like previous periods, my activity dropped off since, and I don't play the games very much now. However, I've since added Y, the three Generation I Virtual Console re-releases, and Moon. Thought I hardly play Y or Moon at all (and am less than impressed with most of the changes brought about in Sun/Moon), I do play the VC Red, Blue, and Yellow every once in awhile.

CutePandaPlayz

PizzaCai
    Years
  • Yeah Sun and Moon was a massive change from the regular formula of Pokemon, from someday that started playing during the 3DS era of Pokemon, have you considered going back and playing some of the other titles?
    Yeah. I have a DS so I might go back to play pokemon Diamond or Pearl later this year.

Back