• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How many attempts did it take to beat the Elite 4?

Richard Nixon

Banned
    Years
    The E4 might take alot of time to defeat and you might have to keep starting again. So the question is:How many attempts did it take to beat the Elite 4? I had to go back 7 times.:'(

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
    Years
    I took abt 1 attempt. I think. Probably because all my pokemon were grinding too much, but maybe also because I ALWAYS soft reset when I lose. Just what I do. So, i kept soft resetting for lance, for i dunno how many times. took me a long time tho.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2016
    One...Just one with the first time...I just did a lot of training before...

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    3 attempts, I think. That's only because my team were around Level 50-ish.

TheUnown

Super Lurker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2015
    Just once. Trained a lot so by the time I faced the E4, my Pokemon were already level 55-60.

1Roxas

Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2012
    It only took me one time to beat it and my pokemon were in the high 40's to 50, but Lance gave me the most trouble because I didn't have anything that did too well against dragons at the time

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    One attempt.
    It's suprising, since my Mamoswine only knew one ice type move at the time (Ice Shard).
    And the fact that Karen's Umbreon gave me a lot of trouble.

Hooh

Only if for a night.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    I did about 15 XD

Note to self: bring Ethers.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Always once thus far, even with my monotype team challenges. I tend to grind a bit in the latter instances beforehand though and make sure I'm stocked up on healing items. =p

And yes, Ethers are often helpful I find.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    It took me only 1 attempt to go against the Elite 4 in both HG/SS, primarily because my team was overleveled.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
    Only took me one attempt. My team was levels 45/46 when I got to Lance.

Ampharos OHKO's Lance's Gyarados with Thunderbolt
    I send in my red Gyarados and Lance sends in Dragonite. Gyarados Intimidates Dragonite.
    I Dragon Dance twice. Dragonite Outrages twice leaving Gyarados barely alive.
    Ice Fang + Waterfall sweeps the rest of his team.

All I can say is thank god for Intimidate, or Dragonite would've 2HKO'ed Gyarados and Lance would've been a lot tougher.

PikachuGuy

THOSE CHU'Z
    Years
    It took me two tries. First time my team was underleveled like crazy (like in the mid 30's). I grinded my team up to Levels 50 to 57 and destroyed them. Thankfully, my Piloswine came out for me with Icy Wind and Avalanche for Lance, it was Level 50.

Years
    Only one try for me, I trained a lot before hand and had a lot of revives and full restores :)

SuperSaiyanII

Cool Story Bro!!
    Years
    Back in Gold and Silver I would lose to at least one of them constantly(usually Karen or Lance) but in HG/SS it seems as though it has become easier and I still haven't lost against any of them even in the rematches.

♠Dawn Rayne♠

Best in the world at what I do
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    I got them the second time around, once I got to Lance, I was practically destroyed but I remembered I had a Pokemon on the Pokewalker (Which is now destroyed due to water damage :( But I had found revives on there so I transferred them over and used them before the battle and they saved me! I beat him with my Level 60 Haunter and Level 55 Kangaskhan at the time.

Years
    Once. The only battle I have ever lost against game AI was the very first one when the rival got a critical hit at a bad time. I tend to have all mine around level 60 by the E4. I level grind a lot.

and lance didn't give me any trouble at all. Level 60 lugia with an Ice attack can nuke him, espiecally if you have ice beam. The team loaded with dragonites is terribly weak against one pokemon with a decent ice attack. and a decent electric attack can one hit Gyrados. You can pretty much one hit his entire team with electric and ice attacks

Honestly I was disappointed that the E4's levels were in the 40s and 50s. I mean, they are the final trainers. IMO they should at least be in the high 50s, mid 60s the first time through. and mid 70's to 80 on the rematch.

Last edited:

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    Only one try... The E4 pre-National Dex was pretty easy in my opinion, but post-National Dex was more of a challenge (though I still succeeded in one try).

Back