• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many of each type of Pokémon?

Gyroh

Sin Comentarios
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2009
    This list shows how many Pokémons of each type currently exist:

1. Water: 93
    2. Normal: 80
    3. Flying: 64
    4. Grass: 55
    5. Psychic: 53
    6. Fire: 34
    7. Electric: 28
    8. Poison: 50
    9. Ground: 48
    10. Bug: 45
    11. Rock: 37
    12. Steel: 26
    13. Fighting: 25
    14. Ice: 23
    15. Dark: 23
    16. Dragon: 19
    17. Ghost: 18

Its kinda surprising, there are too many water types. Nintendo should start focusing on making more Pokémons from types 11-17 and less water types. I don't really have a problem if they make more Bugs, Normals and Poisons because many of them suck.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2016
    psychic is in 5th place huh? yeah that makes sense cause I have tons of psychic pokemon and not on purpose it just turned out like that

.:Kanto:.

I'm back, yet again!
    Years
    I love water Pokémon, but I agree that 93 is alot. They should focus more on grass. Nobody uses grass anymore these days. IMO, Fire is VERY overrated.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    If you think about it, it makes sense to have a lot of water types. Look at animals on Earth--there are a LOT of water-dwelling creatures since life has been in water a hell of a lot longer than on land. But that doesn't entirely make sense since, if I remember correctly, insects are the most abundant type of living creature on earth and yet they don't even make it into the top half of numerous Pokémon types... XD;

At any rate, I wouldn't mind if they'd concentrate on types other than water specifically. :/ But I do think ghost, dragon, etc. should be rare--they don't seem like a common type at all so it's fitting that they have fewer Pokémon attributed to them.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    70% of the Earth is covered with water. (And since a very good explaination of why most pokemon are of the water-type are already added, I will not delve further into that subject, but: )
    Seeing as Steel and Fighting are one of the types with rather little variety, I think that more of them should be added. Steel is quite common in our daily society, and there are loads and loads of martial arts in the world. Dragon should remain as a rare type, it wouldn't be as sacred and elusive as it currently are if they decided to add a load of dragon types like the "eversoannoying" Rattata.
    Depending on the region, they should add types of the appropriate climate.
    As for now, I would like to see a "tempered" region with loads of grass and ground types. Possibly more steel and fighting types too.

Gyroh

Sin Comentarios
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2009
    Well, even though we don't have that many dragons, we don't really need that much dragons anyway. Since dragons are a rare type there has to be a few, but they few there are, are very useful. Such as Salamence, Garchomp, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Rayquaza, Lati@s and Kingdra. Actually, the only Dragon types which aren't used as much or not used at all are Dragonite, Flygon, and Altaria since they are outclassed by the other dragons of the same type. Dragonite and Altaria are outclassed by Salamence while Flygon is outclassed by Garchomp. Flygon has a base stat total of 520, Altaria has a base stat total of 490. The rest have a base stat total of 600 and above.

Same with the Ghost types: Gengar, Mismagius, Dusknoir, Spiritomb, Giratina and I think Rotom and Froslass are useful. And they are used quite often, so more of them are not really that necessary.

Those are the two types with the least Pokémons in it, yet most of the Pokémons there are useful.

Opposite Day

too old for name changes
    Years
    Flygon is inferior compared to Garchomp, but does have a few things that that land-lubber shark is missing.
    Namely Roost with no side-effects, U-turn, and immunity to Ground. (plus that simple fact that Chomp is uber now, so Flygon should maybe get more attention)
    What Flygon actually can do that Chomp doesn't, is to stall with Toxic and Roost, while still being a 'potent' threat, that is, as threatening that STABed Earthquakes from a unboostable 100 attack stat can be.
    But I do agree, dragons are rare, and should be rare.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2011
    They need to put more emphasis on the Dark type. I was really excited about it back in G/S/C when Umbreon, Murkrow, and Houndoom existed, but after that they just turned it into a gimmicky, non-offensive element with hardly any new pokemon that embodied the type as well as their GII ancestors did.

Gyroh

Sin Comentarios
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2009
    Maybe yes, maybe there needs to be more Darks, but there are still some useful Dark types in the game already such as:

1. Umbreon, the trap-passer
    2. Houndoom, which has a nice Special Sweeping movepool. It can go for Sunny Day, Solar Beam, Flamethrower, and Dark Pulse or it can go for the Nasty Plot set.
    3. Tyranitar, a commonly used Pokémon.
    4. Absol, the critical-hit sweeper. Imagine this thing with Super Luck ability, Scope Lens and the critical-hit moveset (Night Slash, Psycho Cut, Stone Edge, Swords Dance/Slash). Its pretty original and fun.
    5. Honchkrow
    6. Drapion
    7. Spiritomb, a tank with no weaknesses.
    8. Weavile, a very good lead to the team.
    9. Darkrai, a Pokémon designed to make opponets sleep.
    10. Sharpedo, not used often but that doesn't take the fact that it is strong and fast and has a good physical movepool and 2 good STABed physical attacks.

Skuntank and Explosion is funny. Does Aftermath hurt the opponent even if Skuntank killed itself with Explosion?

Anyways, there are 16 Dark types (only counting the highest forms). 11 of them are useful IMO, the 5 that I think are useless are:

1. Mightyena
    2. Shiftry
    3. Sableye
    4. Cacturne
    5. Crawdaunt (Maybe not if it had Swift Swim).

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 4, 2009
    Is this list on fully evolved Pokemon or all of them?

For example do Squirtle, Wartortle and Blastoise count as 3 or 1?

Milke

Chill it an' spill it.
    Years
    If you think about it, it makes sense to have a lot of water types. Look at animals on Earth--there are a LOT of water-dwelling creatures since life has been in water a hell of a lot longer than on land. But that doesn't entirely make sense since, if I remember correctly, insects are the most abundant type of living creature on earth and yet they don't even make it into the top half of numerous Pokémon types... XD;

Actually, I think the technical definition of a "bug" is synonymous with invertebrate. There are more bugs than any creature on earth, yes, but LOTS of those "bugs" are in water, so it makes sense.

Also as stated before water covers lots of the earth.

An Ice-Dragon type would have ONE(I think) weakness, which it supereffects, so there will probably not be one of those.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Wow and too think I though normal types were the most!!

Gyroh

Sin Comentarios
    Years
    • Seen Feb 21, 2009
    Is this list on fully evolved Pokemon or all of them?

For example do Squirtle, Wartortle and Blastoise count as 3 or 1?

All of them, of course. Including non-evolved.

An Ice/Dragon would be very cool. Seeing that in fantasy RPGs they have mountain Dragons, regular Dragons, Dragon Lords, Winter Dragons, etc. I do see an Ice/Dragon Pokémon in this game. I think its only weakness would be fighting.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Wow, I never knew that there were so many water types in all the pokemon games, because I always saw was grass and normal types a lot. lol

Lynnx

half listening.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2009
    I never knew there were less Ghost-types than Dragon-types. >_O I think Dragon should stay the rarest type, but I do like the balance between the types right now. There are a lot of Water-types, though.

Back