• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many of you DON'T play competitively?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    Now, seeing communities like Smogon, Shoddy Battle (even Pokecommunities own Strategies and Movesets section) it's clear that a lot of people are into competitive battling, whether it's through Wi-Fi, Shoddy or Netbattle. Also seeing the number of people who have never heard of IVs or dislike ev training, it's apparent that a lot of people are into the franchise just to play the games with themselves. My question is, which side are you on?

As for me, i was kinda into competitive battling through Netbattle during the 3rd gen, but since i was late onto the scene with the 4th gen, coupled with the changes in the game structures (things like the physical/special split, the wide variety of new moves and effects like Trick Room and normalize) the entire thing has ben way too large for me to comprehend and remember, i've given it up entirely.

Last edited:

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • Although I do understand and follow many of the things associated with competitive battling, I don't really do it much, so I'd class myself as a casual* Pokemon player.

* - Casual meaning I play more for fun than competition, but I do take the game quite seriously.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I've dabbled in Shoddy battle, but I didn't linger. It's not why I play Pokemon, I play for the fun of travelling the region catching anything that looks cool, becoming connected to to my teammates. I don't find competitive battling as fun.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2010
    The last time I seriously played Pokemon was when the Red/Blue versions were all the hype. Coming back into the games now, the WiFi features and everything are completely new to me. I can see myself becoming a competitive battler in the near future, but for right now and since the beginning, I've been a casual player.

Tree_x

Breeder
    Years
  • I love Competitively Breeding and battling it makes the game much larger and allows me to have more play time n.n IVs/Ev's our your friends they allow you to make sexy beasts ;D plus the joy and pride you get from every win with your fresh Ev/iv trained team ooh it is just good fun horribly time consuming but fun :O

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • I pretty much only play pokemon for competative battling, in game is just too easy. I only use shoddy for the most part because nintendo's wifi is awful and i don't have time/patience to breed and train a team that may/may not be good.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I haven't played competitively since early in R/S's metagame. I quit because I was no good anyways and had a twenty battle losing streak on NetBattle. >_<

I still read up on some things here and there, but mainly to satisfy my own curiosity because I don't make any competitively viable teams anymore. XD

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Even though I don't battle competitively or online, I still EV train my Pokemons. When battling my friends, I would like to destroy them with my enhanced team of Pocket Monsters. =]

IV training/hatching takes too long.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I can never remember what IV/EV means, but I can only think it laughably tedious, along with all these things they've added like natures and... well anything that's not simply decided by the type and species of the Pokemon. There's a reason to go play Red/Blue again if I ever needed one...

If I battled on wi-fi or what have you, it'd be purely casual as all my gaming has always been; I could do the tedious part if I sat down and learnt myself about it, but I'd rather not and can't stand competitiveness.

Years
  • DON'T.

I spend too much time breeding, doing the contest thing and considering the trade thing as well. And the idea of losing is an ugly one. I also hate most shinies.

I do 'very rarely' battle. The other guy has to battle my way first.

Years
  • I haven't battled another human being since I had Blue.

Competitiveness takes the fun out of playing. It turns the game into too much work with all that IV/EV/whatever stuff.

Aureol

Kanto/Electric-Type Enthusiast
    Years
  • IV/EV, all that technical stuff is WAY out of my league. I also don't have any friends that play.

I've wanted to compete casually, but whenever I do because I'm a meganewb, my opponents just insult me the whole time. It really sucks :P

*sigh* Maybe someday I'll have the nerve to stick with it. Even if I did get into it, I would never be beyond high-end casual.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • I just enjoy going through the game, and at the moment filling up my diamond pokedex. But I may start battling competively in the future

JeTz

ジェット
    Years
  • I barely got into the IV/EV thingy with month of searching.

But I don't play competitively very much cause I would like to enjoy the game itself with my favourite Pokemon

Yoruichi

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2010
    Although I do understand and follow many of the things associated with competitive battling, I don't really do it much, so I'd class myself as a casual* Pokemon player.

* - Casual meaning I play more for fun than competition, but I do take the game quite seriously.

I am the same here. I don't like battling just to compete. It'd rather just do it for fun

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2010
    I have never heard of IVs or ev training till i came here. I always like to play to past time. Not competitively.

rhei1

Casual Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2018
    No competiveness here.

All I do is

Start a game

Catch any pokemon I don't have in my pokedex

train my starter to lv.80 before attempting to train any other pokemon (for a challenge)

All that IV stuff seems way too repetitive for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back