• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many of you guys buy the guides for the many different pokemon games?

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
Years
  • I'm just asking because I just bought the The Official Pokemon Kanto Guide & National Pokedex for HeartGold and SoulSilver. The main reason I spent my money on the book was because it came with a free giant poster. What is the reason you bought one of guides?

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • I did it for knowlage back before I discovered how great the internet was for guides and what not.I stopped buying them because of that, although I did only end up buying two....

Years
  • I don't buy these guides, I only use walkthroughs and Pokedexes on sites like Serebii and Marriland.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • I did it for knowlage back before I discovered how great the internet was for guides and what not.I stopped buying them because of that, although I did only end up buying two....

@ Outkin
    I'm the same way. I found a pokedex for Diamond and Pearl for like a dollar it such a great deal I couldn't pass up.
    And payed 20 for this last one. I but i was just so hype for the poster.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2012
    I have never bought a guide for any Pokemon game. When I first played Pokemon Red, I got all my information through my friends lol. And ever since then, I have just learned as I went. All of the puzzles and things are straightforward compared to most games lol, so I never needed any help.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I bought the Stadium 2 guide for fun, but I bought the D/P/Pt, HG/SS and B/W guides because I needed help playing those games.

Years
  • I used to, up until Diamond and Pearl. Since then I have used the internet. I still have all my old books though, they come in handy for when I want to play the old games.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • I used to buy all the guides at the end of the game, after i've beaten it... -_-
    I don't really know why I would buy them then. I think I used to like being able to look at everything like a map and seeing all the art and stuff. I thought guides were cute and fun.

Now I just go on Serebii and Marriland. It's free, but you don't get the cool maps and art like the guides. Plus, no free poster... :'( cry cry sob

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I used to buy them before I had a laptop and Serebii, PC, and Bulbapedia weren't instantly accessible. But nowadays, I don't. I only got them after I had beaten the game usually, so that I could use the maps to reach places I didn't know about, and check out the Pokedex in the back of the book to get a good idea of future teams I wanted to have and I could plan accordingly. Another reason I don't like them anymore though is because the Pokedex parts of guide books were nuked after RSE. In my DP's guide, the Dex doesn't even have level up movesets listed, and as you know, those are very useful. I just didn't see the point in the guide if it didn't have that information, since it was my favorite part about the guides. Now you have to get a separate book for a detailed Pokedex. I'll stick with online guides and dexes, thanks.

The few I do have though are a Ruby/Sapphire, FireRed/LeafGreen, and Diamond/Pearl. I have some spin off guides too, but eh.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • Well the other day I found some of my old guides

OG Gold and Silver guide
    Pearl and Diamond Pokedex
    Even have a Pokemon Training Card Value Book
    Ruby guide

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I think I may have had one or two, but now I wouldn't even imagine getting them because the information online is cheaper and easier to find and even more accurate; errors are fixed in those, while they can't be in the guides.

Apple Juice

who are you
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    Before I had a labtop, I bought them. But after Diamond, I never bought another. Whenever I go to Barnes and Nobles I like to pick them up and flip through, though. c:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I usede to up until Platinum, but that was back when I couldn't get online all the time to use online FAQs. My brother still buys all the game guides, though, and I've referenced them from time to time.

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • I have once for Diamond and Pearl, but it was a friend's strategy guide. I'll be completely honest, though; there are times I want to buy strategy guides just because of their covers and all of the detail inside. :P

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I don't think I ever bought any of them, though I do recall getting a freebie unofficial Pokedex of sorts from a gaming magazine once, if that counts. I can see how they'd be helpful, and I'm the kind of person who likes reading through game manuals for fun, so it sounds like something I'd enjoy picking up and reading through. But it's much easier, and quicker, to find information online now.

Back