• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many soft resets? :3

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
Years
  • (Sorry if this is in the wrong topic xD)

Heyy babez,

Well yesterday in my SoulSilver I started soft resetting for a shiny suicune. I've gotten to about 320 soft resets so far, and i'm starting to lose patience; which brings me on the the question: What pokemon have you soft re setted for, and how long has it taken you? :3

For those who don't know, soft resetting is pressing L+R+START+SELECT all at the same time, and it takes you back to the main screen and then you last saved (in front of the suicune) and try again for a shiny.

So fire away! ^_^

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, I've never actually known the buttons (Thanks for telling me that!) so I normally give up after 10 attempts.....I did once try switching it on and off again for a shiny starter in Hg/Ss....then realised shiny Totodile was hideous so I didn't want it. Shame really, it only took 2 tries.

Deathshot

Unregistered User
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2019
    Did it for Mewtwo. Limit was 500 and when I got there I never got it so I gave up and Masterballed his face.

Years
  • Shinies don't matter to me, quite a few of them look hideous in my opinion so I don't soft reset for anything unless I accidentally KO'd a legendary or unique Pokemon

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    These (P)RNG things take so long I never bother. As much as it is the fault of the developers not to make shinies even reasonably rare, It's a bit of an exploit too — if all I do is reload constantly, finally getting the desired result just isn't special.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I'd have to slightly disagree with you, Cassino, but it's because when I achieved my shiny after soft-resetting, I thought it was special. Then again, it could have been just the moment I got it (I was upset over forgetting a project, and I got it while upsettingly soft-resetting for it).

The Pokemon I was soft-resetting for was Bulbasaur on HGSS. It took about 741 tries. Not too bad, considering the other stories I've heard about people soft-resetting 1000 times or more for a shiny.

MiniM00se

Toad in a stroller
    Years
  • I've only SRed once, for a shiny Torchic in Emerald. After like 50, the game started being a bit bywtadjfbvsibds, so I just stopped. ^^"

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    Shinies don't matter to me, quite a few of them look hideous in my opinion so I don't soft reset for anything unless I accidentally KO'd a legendary or unique Pokemon
    yeah, me too. I dont care for shinies much. But i am exited when i frind one

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Technically it's the chance of getting a shiny (1/8192) amount of soft resets (so 8,192) that's the average amount it should take you. The reason most success stories have smaller amounts is because they're lucky. And the unlucky ones (the ones that take more than 8,192 times, to make up for the ones less than) just give up.

So yeah, I don't have the patience to soft reset 8,192 times.

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
  • 1st time was in Gold: took me 402 soft reset to get a Shiny Hoothoot
    2nd time was in Emerald: soft reseted 789 times to get a Shiny Treecko

In Emerald I actually got a very lucky encounter, in a new game the 2nd wild Pokémon I encountered was a Shiny Poochyena.

I don't soft reset anymore as I have all the shinies I wanted initially.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • One time in HG, I was soft-resetting for a Timid Mewtwo with good IVs; when I got to my third reset, it came out shiny. I caught it, and it turned out to be Timid, but meh IVs. I kept it anyway, until I lost the game that held it.

Kelp

<3
    Years
  • 1st time was in Gold: took me 402 soft reset to get a Shiny Hoothoot
    2nd time was in Emerald: soft reseted 789 times to get a Shiny Treecko

In Emerald I actually got a very lucky encounter, in a new game the 2nd wild Pokémon I encountered was a Shiny Poochyena.

I don't soft reset anymore as I have all the shinies I wanted initially.

How do you soft reset for a Hoothoot? xD

I tried about +600 times for a Torchic and gave up. That or my SP ran out of battery.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • Soft resetting is only possible in the Pokémon video games, therefore this thread belongs in General Pokémon Gaming.

Moved

As for your question, I don't soft-reset too much in most Pokémon video games. Before battling a legendary Pokémon, I always come prepared with the right Poké-balls and Pokémon with status-inducing moves. Although I do still save the game, just in case things go wrong, most of the time I catch the Pokémon without having to soft-reset at all. As for shiny Pokémon, I don't really soft-reset for them as part of the fun of catching one - in my opinion - is to have a random encounter with one.

Years
  • I don't normally soft-reset because it takes forever and I have very little patience! I tried with Lugia the other day, but after about 20 soft-resets, I gave up, and just caught it as it was. I have before got a shiny Regigigias in a trade though which makes me think how long it must have took to get it.

Elkoid

Cinnabar Child
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2011
    I tried soft-resetting for a shiny moltres once. But then I realized that it wasn't worth the immensely painful effort.

From now on, I'm going to try SRing on my side game of each generation as opposed to my main save file. Perhaps then, I won't get discouraged so quickly.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Soft resetting for shiny's isn't my hobby, since I have never done it for that solemn reason. I soft reset when catching a legendary no matter if it is shiny or not. Or even if it is just a good pokemon that you can only catch once in the games liek Snorlax in HG/SS.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2010
    I would have to agree that soft-resetting should not be a hobby. If there is an option to hard reset, soft resetting is for wimps.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    I would have to agree that soft-resetting should not be a hobby. If there is an option to hard reset, soft resetting is for wimps.

HARD RESETS FOR WIMPS

HARDCORE RESET

Back