• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How many times did you lose to Steven

How many times did you lose to steven

• 0 beat him 1st try

Votes: 135 87.7%
  • 1 he caught me off guard the 1st time

Votes: 16 10.4%
  • 2 He deserves to be champ

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 3 Ok WHY WON'T YOUR POKEMON FAINT

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 4 He has me looking like a fool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5+ possibly the hardest(no pun intended) champion yet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2016
    I didn't lose to Steven in the first battle or the rematch, though I actually came closer to losing in the first battle than I did in the rematch.

The first time I battled him, all of my Pokemon were Level 48-54 or something like that, and the biggest problem I faced was actually his Cradily. His Metagross was taken down easily thanks to my Mega Manectric paralyzing it and therefore removing the one thing that made it so threatening - the fact that it could heavy damage before most of my Pokemon could even attack it - but his Cradily got absurdly lucky with Ancient Power and got the boost to all stats twice.

After the Delta Episode, I went into the Elite 4 with extremely underleveled Pokemon (and quite a few Hyper Potions and Revives, of course) just to see how far I would get. My team was the same as in the first battle, but about 5-7 Levels higher and with Primal Groudon instead of a HM Slave. I managed to get to Steven (and I learned that the AI is terrible at battling against Primal Groudon in the process of doing so), and obviously had a large level disadvantage, but managed to beat him thanks to a combination of Primal Groudon being amazing, Mega Manectric being extremely useful by paralyzing things, some of Steven's Pokemon being pretty bad (Skarmory spends most of its time trying to set up with Spikes, Carbink is terrible, Aerodactyl has good type coverage but weak moves, etc...), and luck. Honestly, this really does show that the Exp Share isn't necessarily the only thing making the more recent games seem easier - in this game I think the main factors that remove most of the difficulty are Mega Evolution/Primal Reversion, and DexNav, though the former is much less time consuming than the latter.

Last edited:

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
    Years
  • I didn't lose to him. I had my team planned out for the guy since the beginning of the game. xD I like making sure that I have a team that can beat the Champion so I don't lose :3

Lycanroc

under the sun
    Years
  • I beat Steven, first try. It was easy. I actually haven't lost a single battle yet, and here I am, having beaten the Delta Episode.

Years
  • Steven was one of the most difficult NPC battles I've had in recent memory. My Aggron barely took out his Metagross with 6 HP remaining and the rest of my team fainted. It was a nail biter. Kudos to Nintendo for making it so challenging.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2017
    Not one problem at all. I solo'd most of the Elite 4 with just my Swampert. Steven was sadly a piece of cake. He was no challenge at all. It was close to being a 6-0 battle, but he finally took out my Swampert. I kind of expected more of a fight, especially how most spoilers said it was much harder than Cynthia will ever be. I got pretty excited, finally a decent Pokemon battle? Nope. I wasn't even godly Over Leveled. I was around the same level as the E4 and Steven. The second round is a joke too. Carbink? Seriously? Every time I battle Steven for now on, he always switches out his Carbink for a different Pokemon. Also..Giga Impact..seriously? xD

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2015
    I lost once, his Metagross wrecked me. I was underleveled too. Got him the second time though.

Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    on GBA version, 20 tries on saphire. i was also realy bad at the game, i tried to avoid almost every trainer, and i only used my blaziken the entire game.
    on AS though i OHKOd everything except claydol (because i was stupid and i didnt switch out). ended up KOing Mega metagross with primal kyogre. was epic 10/10 would smash again.

Years
  • I beat him my first go around. I let him beat me all the other times I battled him because I'm not about to go through the long credit scene again, especially when I only repeat fight him for Exp quickly

Lol, you're gunna kick yourself.

One of the most beautiful things about ORAS that was introduced is that after the first time you watch credits, you can skip them by hitting the A button from then on. xD

Anyways, I also beat him my first try rather quickly. His Metagross took my team from 5 to 1 though, ended up coming down to a final turn of 2 red health Pokemon. We pulled it off, though. :)

pvnk-as-fvck

depressed little mess
    Years
  • It took me one time to defeat Steven, but my Pokémon were at extremely high levels. My weakest Pokémon was level 69 I think? I thought this was weird because my Pokémon were growing very fast & whatever gym leader I was going against I was at least ten levels up. I don't like how easy Nintendo has made Pokémon. I remember in the first gens it was extremely hard to beat a gym leader (for example in Pokémon Blue & Red going against your rival was hard). Does anyone else feel this way?

Years
  • It took me one time to defeat Steven, but my Pokémon were at extremely high levels. My weakest Pokémon was level 69 I think? I thought this was weird because my Pokémon were growing very fast & whatever gym leader I was going against I was at least ten levels up. I don't like how easy Nintendo has made Pokémon. I remember in the first gens it was extremely hard to beat a gym leader (for example in Pokémon Blue & Red going against your rival was hard). Does anyone else feel this way?

Food for thought; Things in memory are always more exaggerated than one may think. As we grow old, things back then seemed different than what they would now. For instance, many people wouldn't touch RBY due to the lack of color and/or animation. Even if they played it once upon a time. Despite having great memories of how fun it was and all that, they still couldn't go back because of what they've grown accustomed to in today's time.

The difficulty back then may have been because of the fact that RBY was the first installment in the franchise. You knew a lot less about the game and may have gone about it a different way out of ignorance. Go back and play RBY today, as I have. Other than having to get used to type matchups/Special instead of SP Att and Def/and a lack of a physical/special split, I guarantee you'd have just an easy time with it, if not easier than current games.

I have, and this is what I've found, despite remembering it being far more difficult as a child. Just a thought.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I've beaten him on the first try, with Cosplay Pikachu being my only casualty. My team was at an equal level with his team.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Steven wasn't difficult for me. I swept the Elite Four and beat him on my first try, with my Pokémon all being between levels 48-50.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    Defeated him on my first try, but only with one Pokémon left. My Delphox barely won. That Mega Metagross sure was a pain with that damn Giga Impact.

Years
  • I ended up beating him on my first try really easily. Like, no healing items were involved whatsoever. In fact, I don't think I've had a game over in AS since I began... which isn't good, especially considering RSE were (and still are, to be honest), in my opinion, the hardest Pokémon games. I don't like that they've been made easier...

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2015
    None. Beat him twice as of today, just did the e4 rematch.

Swampert did most of the work with Surf and Earthquake. Really glad I made it a Mixpert since he only got off one of the screens with Claydol before I killed it.

Years
  • Beat him on my first try; I was caught off-guard by the team changes, nothing too bad though. My team was on par with Steven's in terms of level.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I just managed to beat him today, on my first try, like most of the people that responded before me. He did manage to put up a fight, though... unlike most everyone else...

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    During the first match, it was a close battle with 1 against 1 left. I beat him in 1 try though.
    As for all the other rematches, clean sweeps.

HoennTM

Will my hack be done soon? Probably not.
    Years
  • All my Pokes were about Level 56-57, The first time I fought him I almost lost and when I noticed I was about to lose I turned off the power because I saved. So that kinda counts.

The second attempt his Cradily was bloody annoying but I killed it. Metagross was the easiest to kill because I could just wall it with +2 Curse Torkoal.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I didn't lose to him, but it wasn't a cakewalk either. I almost lost a couple of my Pokemon at one point; I think I just got lucky :P I turned off the EXP share towards the end of the game, but I was still probably around the same level as his Pokemon or higher, so that may have been a factor. Also, I had a lot of Full Restores.

Back