• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much do you think they'll focus on new Pokemon?

How many new Pokemon do you think there'll be?

• Not many (More focus on new features while the Pokedex consists of mostly old Pokemon)

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • More than X/Y, but not too many (With some old Pokemon in the Pokedex too)

Votes: 23 82.1%
  • Much more (The Pokedex will only consist of new Pokemon)

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2016
    I can see them doing something similar to Diamond and Pearl with 100+ Pokemon, between a mixture of new Pokemon and continued lines like Pichu was to Pikachu with GRBY to GSC. Or they could go the XY route and add around 70 Pokemon not including megas.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    I think they will pull pokemons from the past due to the meowth in the background of the video ......and in the original announcement they were showing that they changed up the art style (pikachu image) so I think they would want to show that off of old pokemons.

Still ....New look to the art style also gives more creative freedoms for new pokemons. I hope to see over 100.

Years
    Just noting that they didn't need to model 700+ Pokémon for X/Y because they had these models in place since Pokédex 3D was released. They almost certainly had time to develop more Pokémon — they modelled and planned a whole variety of Mega Evolutions. And that's just about all the sixth generation seemed to be around.

I look forward to moving on. 100, 150... I'd be happy if the games focussed almost exclusively on new Pokémon and added maybe 10-20 Mega Evolutions or formes.

Let's see that Pokédex count hit 1000. ??????

Legitimately can't tell if you're kidding or not. If you aren't, I would actually like to see that happen. Despite all the jokes about them running out of ideas and throwing out the 'Spoon Pokemon' or any other inanimate object bs, I think they still have a lot of potential to make very creative and intriguing characters. Many type combinations still available. Don't see why they couldn't do it. Sure we've gotten some garbage concepts (literal keys, literal ice cream, literal GARBAGE haha), but some of them have turned out to be OK because of other aspects like their quirks, typing, among other stuff. I say some and not all because Vanilluxe is truly pointless, I won't waste any time trying to back this awful mon.

I really hope they limit it to 3/4 new megas, but that's not gonna happen.

Years
    I don't see Meowth being in the background as an indicator of old pokémon being in the region. The meowth appears to belong to the protagonist and his family, and they just moved there. If I look at the Japanese trailer where the family moves in from Japan and pair that with the appearance of Meowth, I'm actually fairly certain they moved there from Kanto... would be a nice little throwback as well for the 20th anniversary.
    So yeah; just because they brought their beloved pet pokémon, doesn't mean they also imported a bunch of wild pokemon. I think there'll be an emphasis on new pokémon; again, it's the 20th anniversary, I feel that deserves a nice amount of new mons!

Years
    I don't see Meowth being in the background as an indicator of old pokémon being in the region. The meowth appears to belong to the protagonist and his family, and they just moved there. If I look at the Japanese trailer where the family moves in from Japan and pair that with the appearance of Meowth, I'm actually fairly certain they moved there from Kanto... would be a nice little throwback as well for the 20th anniversary.
    So yeah; just because they brought their beloved pet pokémon, doesn't mean they also imported a bunch of wild pokemon. I think there'll be an emphasis on new pokémon; again, it's the 20th anniversary, I feel that deserves a nice amount of new mons!

I think the entirely new Pokemon-based Pokedex that B/W had was more of an experiment and Game Freak's attempt to make B/W into a Kanto-like reboot. I really can't see a game getting released in the 20th anniversary to be focusing only on the new Pokemon and have little-to-no presence of older Pokemon (it was a reason why B/W's Dex had a mixed reaction, because some liked using their older faves and for this game they couldn't) because the older Pokemon have just as many memories with us as the new memories that the 7th Gen Pokemon would make with us.

Years
    We have several bird Pokémon already. There's nothing wrong with inter-generation expys, because then, you're not cut off from giving them unique traits — like making a physical attacker where a similarly-based Pokémon was a special attacker. Or vice versa.

Wait, huh? Sounds like you're trying to convince me that once a species has been done, it shouldn't be touched. Not saying that at all, simply saying that Pokemon has no reason not to release more than 72 brand-new additions to the Pokedex with Sun and Moon. I completely agree with you, that's what makes Pokemon so great as a game, competitively and for fun.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Well at first i didn't like how less pokemon were introduced in X/Y but for some reason, at least those 72 newer mons were able to leave some impressions on me. I mean, sure it wasn't something like Gen 5/Unova where basically an entire Pokedex was introduced because of how they treated Gen 5 in the first place, but I'm hoping that if there won't be as many newer mons to S/M be introduced, at least make them memorable enough to compensate.

and yeah, whoever mentioned Gen 4's introduction of new evolutionary stages definitely gets my approval. That was one of my favored things about Gen 4 and if they push through with that in S/M (gen 7) then I'd be a happy camper.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
    When I first picked up Pokémon Black I was really confused and out of my depth. I hadn't been keeping up with the game through its development at all, was falling out of love with Pokémon and struggling to figure out all the types of the new Pokémon.

Things have really changed for me since then though. I'd be incredibly happy with a host of new Pokémon. I'm currently playing through my copy of Pokémon Y and trying to capture every new Pokémon I come across to try complete the Pokédex, or get as close as possible anyway! I think the more new Pokémon introduced the better as I feel like Unova's set of Pokémon really spiced things up and peaked my interest in the game. ESPECIALLY in a competitive battling sense. The metagame is pretty stale (to me) right now and has been for quite a while. I'm hoping some new additions freshens things up for the better!

All this being said I think they'll keep some oldschool 'mons in there to keep some of a more nostalgic audience interested as well - a decision I'm totally in support of!

Years
    I would love a repeat of Black and White, with the region full of new Pokemon, but I'm expecting it to just be mostly new ones. If we do get a mix, I look forward to more Eeveelutions.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    This is actually an interesting point to bring up re: new eeveelutions. Usually new eeveelutions are brought about every other generation, are they? We got a new one last gen, so I'm pretty doubtful that there's going to be another one this generation unless GF decides to break that trend for whatever reason.

Just a note that they have broken a ton of trends in the last 2 generations. I remember them saying that there was no trend or pattern, but I think they realized there was and are starting to break them all.

There needs to be at least 110 new pokemon. Kalos was a testing ground it would seem, so I hope they don't do it again, although I loved Kalos.

What I would like to see is a flop from last generation. As in, more new pokemon than old pokemon, but still have 500. They could balance it out with 250 each, but I think 250 is a bit much for a single generation. 110 to 150 new pokemon and 50 to 100 New Megas in the generation, so it doesn't have to be all the same game. Although, I don't see them making many games in 7th generation. Especially once NX comes out. I don't think they would break the generation into 2 platforms though, so we could get 3 to 4 games, depending on if they remake 4th generation in this gen.

Would also love them to make a Manaphy and Phione event similar to how they handled Deoxys in ORAS.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
    Hopefully the majority of Pokemon will be brand spanking new.

Personally, I'm just hoping that there is a decent justification for the national dex. ORAS was okay with the climate change, but I want more explanation than simply beating the Elite 4 and all of a sudden, there are different Pokemon on the same routes I couldn't catch before. I know it's not the most logical game, but still.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    What if they really make it to where they follow the story of Pokemon coming from outer space and that justifies old Pokemon being able to be caught on similar routes.... They were dropped off or came through a portal or black hole

Back