• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much do your family know about Pokémon?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Sibling: Played most of the main games and several spinoffs.
    Father: Played Pokemon Pinball, but nothing else.
    Mother: Might be able to recognize Pikachu.

Years
    • Seen today
    Sister: Familiar with quite a few pokemon. I don't think she's a super fan, but I know that she'll buy the new games sometimes on release.

Oldest Brother: Avid gamer. Not a fan of pokemon.

Older Brother #2: Played most main games, plays some rom hacks, played spin offs. He's a fan.

Mother: Knows Pikachu.

Angel-of-Light-Kelly

Longtime fan
    Years
  • Sisters: Played the games as a kid, may try out the new games, but not really get that invested. Though getting Pokemon plushies and such for their kids? Absolutely

Brother: Has his favourites, and is playing White. Just, not really an RPG fan.

Nephew (oldest): Goes through phases of really liking it and forgetting about it. Last phase was him wanting to try a nuzlocke, but giving up once his Onix in Shining Pearl fainted because of a crit.
    My younger nephew is only 5, so he hasn't really played the games or anything, but he definitely has a Pokeball, Squirtle, Bulbasaur and Charmander plushie.

Father: Knows about the series, and that I like it, but has nothing to do with it. He doesn't play "anime" games (though apparently Final Fantasy isn't anime at all, right...)

Mother: She isn't a fan, but she has always been willing to check out Pokemon with me, watch the show sometimes, learn about some of the designs and such, and sometimes will just randomly ask for a cute Pokemon picture. Her favourite is Snorlax.

Years
  • Tragically, no one in my family was interested! I had hoped I'd find someone later in life who was, but all of my in laws had Pokemon banned because it contained the word "evolution".

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • With my parents - not much. Wayyyy back in Gen I or II, I overheard them talking about how much they hated Pokemon and I felt self-conscience about liking it forever... In fact, I still do now.

Otherwise, the only family member I know of who got into Pokemon is my nephew. I don't know how much he is now. His interests shift really quickly. I think he's more into Sonic now. lol

Years
  • The old folks: every Pokemon is Pikachu to them.
    My brother: used to play Pokemon and collect the TCG alongside me back in the RBY days. Is familiar with gen 1, but he lost interest and never picked it back up.
    My sister: never played it. She was more into stuff like DKC and Mario. Probably knows Pikachu.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • My brother once came across a listing online for Charjabug and Pyukumuku plushies and sent them to me unprompted, and it's because of him that I have them in the first place, so I think my brother knows a decent enough amount about Pokémon to know what my favorites are, but not enough to discuss much beyond the Pokémon's designs. My parents are also privy to my merchandise-collecting habits, but not to the extent that my brother is, and I'd say their knowledge of Pokémon is much less extensive.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Granddad: Growing up, when he was alive, he actually wasn't a big fan of Pokémon. In fact, he was very religious and believed that Pokémon was "demonic."

Grandma: She had the same views as my granddad when she was alive too. However, she didn't really form much of her own opinions. She mostly just went along with whatever my granddad believed.

Great uncles
    : A good amount of them are deceased, but I doubt they knew anything about Pokémon. I never talked to them about it, including the ones that are still alive. In fact, I doubt they would even recognize Pikachu, but they might be able to.

Great aunts: Same boat with my great uncles. I don't think the older generation really knows too much about Pokémon.

Mom: When she was alive, she had limited knowledge of Pokémon based on what she's seen with me. Of course, she never played any of the games or anything, but she has taken me to see Pokémon movies or either watched some with me when I was younger. While I definitely wouldn't call her a Pokémon fan, she always seemed to enjoy what she saw. I sure do miss her dearly.

Dad: He doesn't really know anything about Pokémon. He typically gets me Pokémon games as gifts because he knows that I love it so much, but he doesn't know that games released in the same generation are technically the same games with just very minor differences. I never corrected him though because it's a great way to get both versions. Lol

Sister: Ah, my big sis. I consider her my personal role model. My big sis actually used to play Pokémon and watch the show a lot in the past, but she stopped after the games went 3D. Thus, I am quite sure she knows everything about Pokémon from Generation I-V, regarding the games and anime. I don't think she has any interest in getting back in the series since she is older now and busier. However, when we talk to each other about Pokémon, she is always willing to reminiscence on those good old days.

Nephew: My sister has one young son with a Nintendo Switch and he plays Pokémon Violet. He doesn't really have a good understanding of the game mechanics, but he enjoys it. When he gets a little older, I am going to teach him how to play competitively.

Niece: My sister also has one young daughter, but she doesn't play Pokémon. She either prefers to spend time on TikTok or go outside and play with her friends.

Uncles: I have a good amount of uncles that played a lot of old school games and systems. Two in particular (brothers) had a Nintendo 64, Gameboy Advance, Nintendo GameCube, and so on with a ton of Pokémon games. I take it, based on a combination of them outgrowing them and being busy, they gave me all their old systems and games when I was younger. That's how I was able to get into the older Pokémon games after playing Pokémon Black.

Aunts: I don't think many of my aunts play Pokémon or watch the show. Of course, they can point out Pikachu, but anybody that doesn't live under a rock knows who Pikachu is. One aunt in particular was a big Pokémon fan in the past like my uncles that gave me their games, (who is their sister), but like them, I guess she got busier and outgrew it.

Cousins: I have quite a few cousins that play Pokémon just as often as I do. A lot of them play the latest games. When I catch them online when I have time, we go on adventures together through the Union Circle and battle sometimes. I can't list every cousin though because I have a ton of them. Lol

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    They know as much as nearly every person I've met in real life: that there is a Pokémon called Pikáchu (yeah, they can't even spell it correctly)

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2023
    I think my mother can recognized the brand because I used to watch the anime when I was a child. Almost all my siblings and cousins have played at least one game, or even a few hack roms I made when I was young. Maybe the rest of my family could recognize pikachu, but not so much more.

Days
    • Seen Sep 11, 2023
    My brother knows that every Pokemon is unique and that's enough for him.

Years
  • Mom: She's the next tier up from the "only knows about Pikachu" crowd. She knows it's a turn based RPG centered around the player going on a journey to catch them all, but not much more.
    Dad: I'm young enough to where my dad played the originals when he was a kid so he knows a decent amount about Gen 1 and 2. I wouldn't really consider him a fan though, I get the impression it's something he liked when he was like 13 and grew out of. tbh I relate to that since I've certainly taken a few breaks from the series myself and we're both really busy now
    Step-Dad: Only knows about Pikachu
    Sister: Is a fan but a bit more casual then me. She's played Gens 6, 7, 8 and 9 and watched some of the show but she doesn't like the older DS and GBA games because of their difficulty

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • My mother knows some of the names of the games. My father doesn't know, or care, beyond probably Pikachu, I guess. And my siblings have played Pokemon Go.

Back