• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] How much experience do you have with Game Development?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
  • How experienced of a developer are you? Which programs do you use? Do you know any real languages? Have you made any non-pokemon games? Do you plan to ever make games professionally?

(Questions are just to give you a general idea of what to talk about. No need to list-answer them all. lol)

Years
  • How experienced of a developer are you? Which programs do you use? Do you know any real languages? Have you made any non-pokemon games? Do you plan to ever make games professionally?

(Questions are just to give you a general idea of what to talk about. No need to list-answer them all. lol)

How experienced? Hmm, that's a hard one to gauge.
    I have 5 years of experience with the RPG Maker series now, and 4 of those i've known RGSS, RGSS2 and now RGSS3.

I mainly use RPG Maker VX Ace now, well actually, I only use VX Ace. It combines good things from both XP and VX to make something much better.

Not sure what you mean by 'Real Languages', programming languages? In that case, yes.

RGSS, RGSS2, RGSS3, PHP, Html, Css, MySQL and a tiny amount of C+

Yup! I have made non-Pokemon games! In fact, I don't make Pokemon games anymore! My current project is a Medieval RPG Project, Reigning Darkness.

I do plan to make commercial games, yes. In fact, Reigning Darkness is one such project!
    Hopefully, one day i'll have my own game studio, we'll see :3

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • around 6+ years experience with rm2k3. some experience with game maker and whatnot.
    RPGmaker 2003 is my bread and butter. never bothered with the newer ones, as i'd rather just move on to developing with better engines/languages at that point. Im already hugely comfortable with rm2k3, so im sticking to it for my current game.

I did do some nonpokemon projects on rpgmaker, made a short demoes on gamemaker, the ones i really enjoyed being side scrolling shooter about killer teddybears and a sidescrolling hack and slash game which i made for one of my university classes (A+ yo!)

I know java, C#, basic, haskell, plus html, javascript, sql & php for web design. actually made a simple android app.

I don't think i'll do games design professionally. Too stressful and too volitile. I'd rather develop games as a side hobby.
    Im going into software/web development as a career.

Last edited:

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • I've been making games since I was 11, so roughly 10 years. My uncle introduced me and my cousin (who's the same age as me) to an engine called RPG Toolkit when we were both 11, and we used it to make small RPGs until we were well into our teen years.

I can't even begin to try and count the number of RPGs me and him made, but I made a lot of J-RPG type RPGs, while he made a lot more western RPGs. He also made a Metroid RPG, which was really cool. :P
    Our influences being mostly Final Fantasy games when making these games.
    I wish we still had some of our games to show.

Other engines I have experience with: Game Maker, Byond (Despite being a sad excuse for an engine!~), Torque 2D, Torque 3D, Unity3d, and the Unreal Engine.

As for real languages, not really. I'm more of an art/music guy than I am a programmer. I do know how to script for the engines I use, but the majority of them use their own language that's based on real languages i.e. TorqueScript (C++ Based) or UnityScript (Javascript, C#, Boo).

At the moment i'm attending college in Computer Animation/3D Art more geared to Game Art/Design which i'm about to graduate from. It actually took me awhile to realize I wanted to work on video games for a living, but one day the thought to be a game designer hit me while I was working in toolkit and thinking of what I wanted to do with my life.
    I have portfolios full of concepts/documents on ideas I think could really do well in the game industry. One i'm really i'm hoping to do is an MMO idea that could really push the limits of online gaming. :>

Years
  • I've been using the RPG Maker series on and off since late 2002, so I've been working on projects since then, really. I've completed a few short games before, but they've been lost at various points in time (although I can remember part of how one went, even all the way down to the event code).

In that time, I've mainly used the RPG Maker series (even Network RPG Maker 2000 and RPG Maker 95). I've also toyed with Game Maker, ClickTeam, and Ika before, but haven't become proficient at using any of them at all. Right now, I'm making graphics on-and-off for Calis for Zenforms. I'm also in the planning stages for a small isometric RPG (still prototyping concepts and such).

Most of my projects are non-Pokémon, and they have been for a while. I have started a few Pokémon projects before, but making a game that isn't really mine kind of bores me right after I start it.

For real languages, I know a little bit of a few. I've started learning Python, C, C++, PHP, and Basic in various degrees (still learning C and C++, though). I can't really do much in any of said languages, however.

As for making games professionally, I would love to and am actively trying to build a portfolio that would allow me to do so (And ideally, I would work either in Europe or Japan), and I'm currently pursuing my degree in Computer Science. However, I do have a congruent plan that I can use if it doesn't work out, and can relegate game development to a hobby or as an income supplement with smartphone development (although the bubble may burst before I have time to do that).

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2012
    Not really that much tbh xD
    2 months maybe ;)
    I'm more of a leader of a group of developers instead

Back