• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much of a Community is Pokecommunity?

Years
  • Compared to some of the other Pokemon forums (and other forums in general) Pokecommunity in my opinion fosters a great sense of community.

Its a great way to meet new people from all over the world with similar interests, plus the extensive use of fun usernames, colourful profiles and the large use of Visitor messages to communicate, remind me much of the myspace of old.

With plenty of different forums, not just ones related to pokemon (and a great deal of members who very rarely post on the pokemon side of things anyway). There are plenty of discussion topics on offer as well as events to participate in.

Whats your opinion on the subject?

Does Pokecommuity foster a great community spirit?

Is it different to any other pokemon forums?

Do you have lots of PC friends (and/or foes)?

Are some members treated as royalty whist others are overlooked or ignored?

Do you feel a valued part of the community?, If yes or no Why?

Is there anything you would change?

Answer away...

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I think we were struggling for awhile to be a community, but some great effort from everyone is changing that. I enjoy feeling like I can go anywhere on PC any be welcome and that's rapidly coming back (for me at least). I feel comfortable posting in so many places now and I think the memberbase is to thank for that, so bravo. I am sure we still have work to do, but there's been progress and it's superb. :)

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I think that PC has one of the best senses of community when it comes to Pokémon forums, or even just forums in general. A lot of forums tend to get pretty cliquey, but I don't really see that here. I get the feeling that everyone is welcome everywhere here, which is nice to me since I tend to post all over the place lol.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • What's your opinion on the subject?
    It's one of PC's biggest legs up over the rest of the internet, even. If that's lost the site can and will go to hell.

Does PokeCommunity foster a great community spirit?
    I have no doubt.

Is it different to any other Pokemon forums?
    Absolutely! The lack of a supermassive web area like what Serebii and Bulbagarden have means there is no massive outpouring of noobs who never read rules and post in the wrong sections and frankly don't pay attention to anything, which drives their staff up a wall out of frustration also changing the dynamic entirely. The community is more weathered when you have more noobs, but it's also extremely prone to cliques and other elitist bullshit

I've made a few, but I think that's just me, not PC. Apparently I'm hard to relate with 8D

I think the deference towards staff should stop. The staff themselves have stated it's unnecessary, I imagine it makes them uncomfortable, not to mention it's just bad forme altogether acting that way towards particular people. It's cliquey, and cliquey is for middle schoolers, or those with the maturity thereof. You're not better for I don't even ???, what? You have friends? You know these people and I don't? It's like Tom & Jerry laughing at the blank book and not letting anyone else read it. It's kid shit.

Do you feel a valued part of the community?, If yes or no Why?
    Most definitely. I'm more active than anyone in GC and have zero activity everywhere else - it's safe to say I feel included with how much time I spend here. :P

If I had the opportunity to be PC's puppet master I'd go and give everyone a few extra layers of skin. All around, no exceptions. I feel bad enough not reporting anything anymore because I'm either like, "meh, they'll notice it" or with conflict "have some balls, grow up, be a man about a disagreement, etc." It's really less laziness and more a lack of reason in my eyes, to be honest. Things are taken care of most everywhere, and yeah I know it's the helpful thing to do... but then I feel like I'm going out of my way for something that's not really that big of a deal anyway. inb4 scoresheet for mod

Whenever I fuck up I'm routinely informed multiple people report my posts, and I'm like "wow, I wouldn't have reported it even in their shoes! Worst case scenario I'd PM a staff if it was really uncalled for, and avoid it.. but people reported it, wooow 8)"

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • PC feels a lot more like a community than your average forum, I'll say that much. I honestly would've preferred Bulbagarden in every possible way due the awesome name change system, the mascot being Bulbasaur, and the well-informed Yu-Gi-Oh fans there, but there's one thing Bulbagarden lacks that PC has: a heart. Over at Bulbagarden, it feels so cold and gloomy, while at PC I almost always feel at home no matter what. Even after my three year disappearance, my old friends here were still around, and it turns out that they've been waiting for me this entire time (I could tell by the periodic VM spamming, haha). Not gonna lie, but that felt very heartwarming. At first, I honestly had no intention of permanently staying with PC after my return, but my friends here quickly changed that for me. So yeah, PC definitely has a great sense of community, no doubt. =D

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I would say there is a sense of community if you wish to be a part of it. Otherwise it's easy to just post and go and keep to yourself if you wish for that also. There are many different community events and such that give members the opportunity to be a part of it and to meet others.

As for individual members it's like anything else in life. Some people stand out for either good or bad reasons and other people take notice of them. I have a small group of people I'm friends with and I'm happy with that. I really can't speak for how the community views me.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • agreeing with others in saying there's a pretty good sense of community here. people are welcoming for the most part, and it's pretty easy to make friends, generally speaking (or at least it was for me, I'm not sure about others, really, but from what I've observed it is). I think the clique-y-ness of the place is somehow both understated and overstated; there's definitely some amount of staff worship going on but it's mostly contained to a select few members/some newer or younger people. when people are like "Aww man..... everyone loves staff..... us normal people don't mean shit TBQFH" I find it a bit melodramatic because every forum of this caliber is like that to some extent.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    At least compared to other forums, I find PC is definitely one that focuses more on community. It also has a sense of realness I would say. There's arguments and little snides thrown at one another, but at the end of the day, we all make an effort to get along and help others out.

Do I feel valued here? No. But I don't really blame anyone else. I feel misunderstood and ostracized in a way when I'm on here. I feel disconnected. I feel like I'm made out to be someone I'm not, or assumed to be because of some of the things I say. But I remember what it was like to not feel that way, which is why I feel that there is a sense of community here.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • People focusing on a minority group of "famous" individuals is just life. There are entire magazines, companies, and businesses run around following celebrities and getting their attention. I'm not claiming any staff member to be FAMOUS, but on a small-scale community like this, it's no different than real world "fame" (though putting your self-worth on your "fame" on a forum is not the healthiest thing to do). I think if people quit saying PC is "staff-centric" (a term I dislike), there would be less notice on the minority of members that do put stock in a colored name on the forums.

In my personal experience, I've never felt like I was treated differently. My threads are routinely ignored (though that might be my own issue), I get along with members and feel like I'm treated equally, etc. Maybe it's different for other staffers, so they're welcome to chime in on that.

I do agree with Nick (PY) that on top of any drama and silly arguments, the majority of people here are helpful, kind, and supportive. I love that about PC.

Last edited:

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    My opinion? Let's start off with a general summary.

This place feels more like a community than another Pokemon forum I've been to, but less so than an MLP forum I went to. So based on my experiences, it's really sort of middle ground. I do see a small version of cliques occurring, and a lot of the more "famous" members alongside moderators seem really friendly with one another. But I don't notice much community besides that. Except maybe a tiny bit in the Forum Games, because the same people post there a lot. Otherwise, most people appear to keep to themselves much like I do. I've been approached and spoken to by a scant few people, but not really all that many. I do admire the activities and events that appear to be a thing though, but I'm not really interested in participating in them myself.

I believe the forums that give off the best sense of community are the smaller ones due to how intimate they tend to feel. (For instance: I'm a part of another forum that is really old, but only has around 10 or so active members, and I feel the most welcome there I've ever felt anywhere.) This one is a bit too big and impersonal to really give me that feeling. At least the moderators post frequently though? That's something I haven't really seen on bigger forums (they usually just do their jobs and don't partake in the community), so bonus points for that.

Honestly, I think this sort of question is extremely subjective in general. It depends a LOT on your personality and who you interact specifically with in addition to the people themselves. And your level of investment in the forum. My perception is flavored by the fact that I tend to avoid people in general, and am extremely self-conscious and kind of... different from a lot of others on the internet, so I don't tend to get into the community spirit in many places. I've only gotten into it in two forums. Here, I'm not really invested. Honestly, I could just disappear off the face of the earth and nobody here would really care. I wouldn't really care myself either.

Now, to answer the specific questions I haven't already addressed in this:

Is it different to any other Pokemon forums?

Every Pokemon forum I've been on has been different. Different people give a different sense of a place. So I suppose it is. But it isn't the most unique one I've been to.

That honor belongs to one I was active on for five years, but the people there were rather hostile towards me at the time, so I can't say that place was better than here. This place is friendlier than that, whilst having a similar level of intelligence. So bonus points on that. The only reason I haven't left Pokecommunity is because the people here at least can have semi-intelligent discussions. Honestly, most places (not exclusively in the realm of Pokemon forums), people post nonsense that is short and thoughtless, and belongs in chat rooms. I haven't found many places of increased intelligent, so we can say it is unique in that sense.

No, not really. Nobody seems to really pay me much mind, nor do I them. Of course, because I'm paranoid, I'm under the belief that there are people who dislike me for certain things I've said. But I'm not aware of who they are at this present time, and I'd rather never become aware.

From my observations, I would say definitely yes. That part about what I said of the whole "famous members and staff" interactions applies here. I often see the same few people being mentioned again and again, whilst everyone else is kind of... left in the dust.

Do you feel a valued part of the community?, If yes or no, why?

You basically already know my answer to this based on what I've said earlier in this post. But I'll elaborate. No, I do not. I'm just some nobody who comes here on occasion to post, and it does bother me. I wish I could be noticed more, but I know part of the blame goes to me for the way I behave. (Being extremely avoidant and posting at random intervals)

It's kind of a vicious cycle. I get into a super posting mood and post a lot. Then I wait. There's no response. Nothing. Not a like, nor a quote. So I lose motivation to come here and don't post for several days. Or weeks, if it's really intense. I just feel like whatever I say is completely irrelevant to anyone due to the lack of feedback or occasional negative feedback. "What's the point?" my mind tells me. I've grown used to getting a lot of feedback on other forums.

On a particular forum, people were much more liberal about using the Like button. And that was nice, because it made them seem more friendly. Also, I posted some art on a much smaller forum with much less activity and people, and got a response almost immediately, whereas here? I got no response. Here, that doesn't seem to be the case. I realize that it's because of all the other art threads taking attention away from me, but with so many people in this forum, you'd think there would be a response sometime, you know?

So why do I keep coming here? Because I get lonely/bored, because there's really no other place better. This is the best I could find besides that small place that is still a bit too dead for me to feel super immersed. Also, the topics are interesting. And I always have a craving to interact with other humans, even if I'm so ridiculously bad at it. So I return again and the cycle continues. If I didn't get so discouraged, I realize people would pay more attention to me. Nowadays, I just don't have as much motivation to push through the whole "being an insignificant newcomer" phase that everyone has to go through on a forum.

I still have this feeling though that they still wouldn't pay all that much attention to me. Due to the other part is the aforementioned problem of the "famous members and staff." This forum just feels kind of too established and large for someone like myself to really have a significant part in it, to be honest.

Also, my personality just... doesn't really fit so well with this forum's atmosphere. But that isn't the forum's fault. Again, that's me. Whenever I say something, I get this unsettling feeling that someone was offended by it. And it's worse than my usual feeling that I have.

I don't really know. I suppose I'd change this place so I could fit in better, but then everyone else wouldn't appreciate that. If you can be happy here, then good for you! I don't want to ruin that for anyone else. So in spite of the issues, I wouldn't really change anything. For what this forum wishes to accomplish in its overall vibe and vision, it's pretty much spot-on. It just... isn't really for me, I guess. Hrm. Writing up this post is actually making me seriously contemplate leaving. I guess I'll have to think about this more extensively.

But yeah, there you go, a long detailed post about my particular feelings. These feelings are extremely subjective and I realize a lot of it is moreso myself as the problem than this community. So if you feel differently, that's fine.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I've been to other pokemon forums and other kinds of forums in the past, but PC is the one place I've kept coming back to. The one place on the internet I always keep coming back to, even now when my life isn't revolving around my internet activity as much as it has been in the past. It was always the atmosphere that drew me in. The people who were still here to remember me when I returned from months of absence, the roleplays that you could be welcomed into even if you didn't know many people there yet, the events and the frankly beautiful style of PC, what with all the skins to choose from and the funny culture of ours to wear avatars and signatures like clothes to show who we are...

I can't compare it to other places on the web at this point, I just know it's my home on the web. I'm totally biased :)

Sirfetch’d

I'm biased as well. I've tried joining other communities and while they were welcoming and fun, nothing beats the atmosphere of PC. I feel so accepted here almost like I'm a member of a family. I'm always so drawn to coming back here for that reason. PC is definitely the most community like place I've ever been a part of online. That makes us special!!

Her

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    hmm
    i think that many here have found the community they were lacking in their lives or on the internet. if pc is a community to them, then i suppose i have no right to deny them that. in regards to me, i've spent most of my pc experience being viewed with a mixture of apprehension and glorification, so i can't say this has really been a community for me. but i'm not bothered by that - i tend to stay removed from the wider community anyway, partly because i don't play well with others and partly because i simply don't care about pokemon anymore.

that being said, i very much enjoy the forums that i do post in. i wouldn't be here if i didn't have some interest in the forum.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Of course we're a community. We fight and argue and we all behave like brats.
    And at the end of the day, we all still know each other and we share plenty of laughs and stick around anyways.

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • PC is the only board where I actually post. I'm on Marriland, but that's to rarely update my shop and ask for something if I'm not finding it here fast enough lol

I think we all get along. There's a good knit of people that have been here for quite a while and others that keep coming back. There are of course our newbies, too. Not many trolls, so that's nice :pink_nod:

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    This place rocks. I've only been here two months but I've felt pretty damn welcomed. The conversations are for the most part more interesting and I appreciate how people here seem to be older than other forums I've been on. You keep doing what you're doing people. Also, the mods don't yell at me. Yet.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • We still have a long way to go till we reach communism. Those gosh darn democracizers always ruining the fun.

Years
  • I've not got a lot of experience with other forums. I was active on a different forum a few years ago and made a couple of friends there, but honestly it was a pretty hostile environment for the most part.

PC is pretty much the antithesis of places like that. The vast majority of the people here, staff or otherwise, are very friendly, interesting and helpful and I love that I can come here and immerse myself in such a pleasant atmosphere when I'm having a bad day or if I'm under a lot of stress.

I'm honestly really glad I found PC and for the people I've met here.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I've not got a lot of experience with other forums. I was active on a different forum a few years ago and made a couple of friends there, but honestly it was a pretty hostile environment for the most part.

PC is pretty much the antithesis of places like that. The vast majority of the people here, staff or otherwise, are very friendly, interesting and helpful and I love that I can come here and immerse myself in such a pleasant atmosphere when I'm having a bad day or if I'm under a lot of stress.

I've not got a lot of experience with other forums. I was active on a different forum a few years ago and made a couple of friends there, but honestly it was a pretty hostile environment for the most part.

and the roleplaying

THE ROLEPLAYING

8)

Back