• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much of a completionist are you?

Years
  • When playing Pokémon games, do you tend to be a completionist who needs to battle every trainer, get every item/TM, etc? Or do you continue to play until you feel you're 'finished'? Maybe somewhere in-between?

Years
  • I'd say I'm either one or the other. I can either be your angle or yuor devil a 100% pokedex completed, battle tower conquered, every NPC beaten into the ground, kinda player. Or I'll constantly be running into bug catchers in the first forest area because I skipped over them and never came back.

Years
  • not a completionist at all. i consider a game done when i've beaten the champion. it's like weight being lifted off my shoulder completing the main storyline, and anything post game is just easy breezy vibes. i've not once bothered to complete the Pokedex, the TMs, the hidden items scattered all around the region, etc. i just ain't that type of guy.

Years
    • Seen today
    Not at all. I don't like spending excessive time on these games, so when I've taken that 15-20 hours to beat the game it feels like I've had my fix. Sometimes if I've been focused on a really long JRPG, I'll play Pokemon after because it's non serious and a bit mind-numbing. I usually put down the game after I beat the champion -unless I really enjoyed using my team. In that instance I will play the post game just to spend more time with a party I enjoyed. There are two exceptions. I typically enjoy the Johto post game of traveling to another region, (even though I'm not a fan of Kanto). So I try to do that post game. I enjoy the Unova post games for the battles with Sinnoh Champion Cynthia, and the tournament with all the regional gym leaders. I'm playing Platinum right now, and I do plan on giving this post game a try.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    I like to usually beat the elite 4 to completion (beating it twice with their better pokemon) and catch the legendaries.

Years
  • I'm a bit of both. In gens 6 and earlier I feel like I was a bit more completionist, and it felt odd if I didn't get every item, complete the dex etc. But with SuMo and SwSh I've become especially lazy with dex completion and item collecting. Items especially with how abundant they are nowadays, and how much time they require to find since the wild areas are vast. Definitely have to beat each trainer though!

pkmin3033

Honestly, it depends on how good the game is. After Gen IV I stopped doing postgame because I stopped enjoying myself playing through the main story. Pokemon has become a habit more than something I genuinely enjoy over the last few generations, so it's done when I say it's done. When they make an engaging game with an engaging postgame again - that I don't have to shell out half the price again for - I will be there. But until then? If they didn't have a very firm grip on my wallet that I can't for the life of me pry loose on the off-chance that the next game will actually be enjoyable, I wouldn't even bother buying the games at all...

Years
  • nah. completing the game is about as far as i would go. maybe completing the regional pokedex as long as it wasn't too much of a pain in the ass to do. don't really go farther than that.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    When the credits roll the game is over. I played through the postgame of X and OR but when SM came around I simply didn't care anymore. Since then I've been playing Pokemon games only until the Hall of Fame. There isn't much to explore afterwards most of the time, anyway. Maybe one new area and a couple refights? That's not enough for me. Battle House and co I don't care, it's just battling. I like exploration a lot more than cheesy battle strategies.

And I'm not much a fan of postgame content in games period. They always feel like an afterthought. Pokemon just drives this up to 11 imo. Like, it's just an easy thing you could put into the main story part. Then I'd be at least interested a little bit, because the prices for going through that stuff can be useful during the regular main game.

Years
  • I can't say I'm a completionist, just because I find the official pokemon games not challenging to the point where I'd need to routinely catch pokemon that I may or may not use in the future?, and I don't see the point of keeping them in boxes. However I do go and I battle every trainer and collect all in game items and do all side quests that are available for me to do.

I do find that I'm far more of a completionist in fangames though, but I find they're over all more challenging and seem to require a more frequent change in team to progress. Which has been interesting because I've been using some pokemon I've never really bothered to use before lol

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    never been much of a completionist and probably never will. I normally play until I become the champion and usually continue going until you do like the post-game rival battle or whoever is the strongest trainer like red. usually. some games i barely even managed to get through normally (looking at you gen 7) that the moment I became the champion i dropped the game and didn't look back.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • If I enjoy a game, I'll go for 100%. That isn't just for Pokemon, it's a blanket statement for everything I've played. For most Pokemon games, I'll go through the post-game and finish up when it feels like I've done everything, and I've made a few full pokedexes and have a living dex. For Platinum specifically, I went back and got all the Battle Frontier prints, maxed out my trainer card, bought every item in the villa, all this bonus stuff that was definitely not necessary, and it's just because I've enjoyed the game so much I've wanted to feel proud of having a save file that's totally maxed out.
    In terms of TMs, ever since they started becoming collectable items and being multiple uses, so ever since Gen V, I've started collecting them and wouldn't stop playing until I was done. This includes having 1 copy of every TR in Gen VIII.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2021
    Not at all for the main series games, especially since I tend to play Monotypes where the whole point is that I use limited Pokémon. I'll usually go to the end of whatever postgame content there is, but it depends on how much I actually enjoy the game, and a lot of the time I don't even get all of the Mons of that one type

Spin-offs I'm more likely to be a completionist - on Conquest I got the Perfect Links of all the important Warlords and in my save file of Explorers of Sky I've completed all of the 99 floor dungeons. That being said, I'm not great at being a completionist there either, I couldn't be bothered to get to Guildmaster 3 star rank and therefore haven't recruited all of the legendaries. I have played a lot of Sky though, to the point where as a Chinese language learner I could play a Chinese ROM of it and still know exactly what was happening all the way to the end of the postgame story!

Years
  • and in my save file of Explorers of Sky I've completed all of the 99 floor dungeons.

This is pretty crazy/awesome to me, I'm not sure I'd be able to do that for any MD games since 99 floors is just....a lot. But it still feels more achievable than doing absolutely everything in a main series game, which can be near endless at this point.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    it's kinda funny, I'm usually a huge completionist when it comes to other games, going so far as to complete all 480 side quests in xenoblade, complete the sphere grid in ffx, and a bunch of other absurdly hard accomplishments, but I've never really done so for pokemon. Partially because I know I'll never fully complete the pokedex for most of the games I play, because I simply don't have all the games and don't have a second 3ds to trade with, and the wifi servers for anything past gen 6 are long gone. That's kinda been changing lately with my playthrough of Y, where I'm capturing every pokemon possible but I'm not gonna worry too much about getting pokemon that you need from other games yet.

I always do fight every trainer though, lol.

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2021
    This is pretty crazy/awesome to me, I'm not sure I'd be able to do that for any MD games since 99 floors is just....a lot. But it still feels more achievable than doing absolutely everything in a main series game, which can be near endless at this point.

drifloon is an absolute godsend for those, stockpile, double team and unburden ftw! also just splitting it up into chunks when you get tired. shame tho that my drifloon would be higher level upon leaving than when entering, and suddenly that's all gone upon exit!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i don't consider myself a completionist, but i do like to do a lot. i don't like to skip trainers, i like to get as much of the items as possible. i like to complete the pokedex, though i don't do that in every game. i'm not a super stickler for it, but i like to cover as much ground as feasibly possible if that makes sense aha.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Feels complete upon finishing the postgame story. (Agrees with others on it not being engaging, however.) May fill in the Pokedex if the means to do so solo are reasonable.

Back