• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How much RAM do you have?

Gerri Shin

  
Years
  • The only reason upgraded from 2Gb to 4GB is because it's a real strain when you're running Photoshop and a Virtual machine at the same time. (hehe, hey Erica, My first computer had a total of 16MB of RAM and a 500Mb hard drive. wow!)

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I was considering 2GB and I need a bit of input...what do you run that makes it struggle?
    I love to multitask. So Firefox with 10+ tabs, iTunes, Photoshop, MSN, and other things really slows it down at times. :/
    The only reason upgraded from 2Gb to 4GB is because it's a real strain when you're running Photoshop and a Virtual machine at the same time. (hehe, hey Erica, My first computer had a total of 16MB of RAM and a 500Mb hard drive. wow!)
    A bit more than our first computer! XD;

Mr. Curling Iron

u kujw bux :d
    Years
  • Hmm.. I have 4 GB [Which is lowered to 3 GB since I cbf fixing it up by tweaking my computer] and I've got CS4... Which lags on it... >:

I need a 64-bit computer... and Fast... But my Processor wont allow it... ;_;

So many things need to be fixed before I can do anything ;_;

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Hmm.. I have 4 GB [Which is lowered to 3 GB since I cbf fixing it up by tweaking my computer] and I've got CS4... Which lags on it... >:

I need a 64-bit computer... and Fast... But my Processor wont allow it... ;_;

So many things need to be fixed before I can do anything ;_;
    What CPU do you have? Because no amount of 'tweaking' is going to get you the full 4GB in anything but aesthetics, on a 32bit OS.

Years
  • I have 4 GB with an Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.2 GHz in my school provided laptop (which has since become my primary computer).

As Rena Lanford pointed out though, I'm only seeing 3 GB of that RAM due to limitations in a 32-bit OS. I'm still waiting for more compatibility before I move over to 64-bit though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    For my PC, I have 1.85 GB (Internal Graphics Chip takes the other .15 :P) with an Intel Celeron D 3.33GHz Single Core Processor.

My Laptop is 1.96GB RAM with an Intel Celeron M 1.3 GHz Single Core.

And of course, my fastest of them all is my HP Windows 98 computer, 252MB RAM and an AMD 256MHz :D :D

~Mooshykris

bgt

R A W R
    Years
    • Age 15
    • Seen Jun 21, 2011
    1.5 GB. Nothing Special.

I generally only upgrade if its absolutely needed.

Years
  • Um, all this talk about 32bit OSs not supporting over 3GB of Ram?
    Here are the limits:
    WinXP 32bit - 3.1 GB
    Vista 32bit - 4.0 GB

WinXP 64bit - 128 GB
    Vista 64bit - 128 GB (wait for it...)
    Windows Server 2008 Datacenter - 2048 GB

That's lots of RAM. Oh and many of those are reduced by the Page-File, which can be disabled.

For the record, my Laptop is:
    HP Pavillion dv1000
    Intel Centrino - 1.86 GHz
    1.49GB (1.5GB) DDR2 RAM

As long as Windows is managed properly, doesn't have stupid resource hogs (Norton, lol) and is kept defragged, it can run fine with ~512MB. Keep in mind that the RAM limit is almost inevitably going to be met by the motherboard limitations before the OS's.

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
  • How do people live with less than 1GB? D:

The difference between 1gb and 512mb is not actually that great under XP. I didn't really notice the difference very much when I upgraded my desktop. The only thing that was actually faster was getting other stuff running affter quiting games, owing to the fact that there was now actually some free space to carry on working whilst the game was being loaded out.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    My desktop runs on 1gb of RAM(upgrading soon) while my friend's father has a computer that runs on
    8gb of RAM (who needs a computer that fast?)

Back