• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old were you when you started playing Pokémon?

Arukas

ラドクリフ
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2010
    Pokemon started getting popular here when i was in 5th grade i'm 16 now so i was about 9-10ish?

Shem

Bored...
    Years
    Oh boy, I couldn't tell you...
    Well, I remember I couldn't read yet. And I know I had my blue version at least a year before i could read... So my guess would be when i was 5, possibly 6.

I remember that because i couldn't read, i couldn't save, so I never got anywhere after I got to cerulean city until about halfway through first grade.

Brownies

bye PC :D
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2010
    I started to play that when I was just 7, my first game I ever played there is red.

Kayin

Local Champion
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    I was 11 when I started the card game. I was 12 when I actually got my copy of the red verision.

I was 11 when I started the card game, I don't play that anymore though. I was 12 when I got my copy of pokemon red.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I started collecting cards and playing the TCG when I was about 9. Then I didn't even test the games before I was 11 or so xD The cards are still the pokémon franchise closest to my heart, even though I'm not at all into it anymore. It's just wonderfully nostalgic~
    So it's been about 10 years with pokémon now.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
    I must have been seven or eight and in second grade, way back in 1999.

Mankey

The Delightful Nutcase
    Years
    I started when I was six, on Pokémon Yellow (my sixth birthday, along with a yellow GameBoy).

I then got Pokémon Blue and Red, then Crystal.

I don't have any past that.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2009
    haha i was just turning 7 and i got my game boy color and pokemon blue.. haha oh man the times i had with that. would go through batteries every other day. we use to have tournaments all night long.

Caelus

Gone
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2013
    I was 9 when I first played my Sapphire, but that was because I didn't have the money to buy a GBA until 2003.
    If it counts, I played Snap in early 2000, but it was not my copy of the game.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I was like 7/8 in the 3rd grade when my mom finally got me a Game Boy and I got Yellow with it. Then I got Red.

Cid

Years
    I was three when I saw my older siblings play Pokémon Blue and Yellow.

But my first official Pokémon game (which I was mainly the one who played) was Pokémon Gold, and I played when I was 6, in 2001.

Back