• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to get a Link cable working

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2022
    Hi y'all I'm a long time fan of Pokemon and I have been spending the last couple of months getting my hands on the old GBC and GBA cartridges of Pokemon. I recently got a GBA so that I can connect it with my SP however, I have been having issues with connecting them with the link cable and connecting them to my gamecube which has a gameboy player installed. I ended up buying two cables and neither one is working properly. One Console will be recognized to have a link cable but the other console won't be recognized, I will switch the cable around and the new device will be recognized but the old one won't. So like GBA will say it's connected but SP won't be connected but if swap it, then the SP says it's connected but the GBA won't be connected. This is happening with both cables and I just bought my 2nd cable which is a Tomee cable and it has a block that allows for another cable to be connected, and I tried a daisy chain but that method won't work (I've tried). So, I want advice on what to do. Neither cable is allowing me to trade between my GBA, SP or my GameCube. Do I need a specific cable, or do I need to get 2 GBC's so that I can make the trades?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen yesterday
    Generally reserves this subforum for issues and feedback related to PokeCommunity as a forum, not the games. Deals with things like avatar issues, notification errors, and CSS problems in this subforum.

Designed the Link Cables for Game Boy Advance games (and for hooking up to the Gamecube). Are you trying to trade with the normal Game Boy games? Directs you to this help page, if so:
    [url=https://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/gameboyadvance/hook_universallink.jsp]Nintendo[/url] said:
    If you are playing a multiplayer game on your Game Boy Advance or Game Boy Advance SP that was designed for the Original Game Boy or Game Boy Color, you must use the Universal Game Link Cable. Otherwise, you should always use the Game Boy Advance Link Cable.

Important Note: This cable should only be connected when you are playing two player games or when you are using the Game Boy Printer with your Game Boy Advance or Game Boy Advance SP. Also, because of the differences between the Game Boy Advance systems, and other Game Boy systems, a few multiplayer games may not work properly.

Hookup steps:

Make sure the power is OFF on all systems.
    Plug the Game Link cable into the External Extension Connector (EXT) on the top of the Game Boy Advance, or into the EXT1 port on the back of the Game Boy Advance SP.
    Plug the other end of the cable into the connector on another Gamer Boy system or printer and turn the power switches ON.
    See the Game Pak instructions for additional information.

Below is a picture of how to connect Game Boy systems using the Universal Link Cable.
    Please Note: Any combination of Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP can be used.

How to get a Link cable working

Does that help?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2022
    From the looks of it, it does help. I looked up online and I think I found the right cable but I'm not sure. Would it be better if I just get a GBC for the GB/C games and trade that way? Also, I'm sorry that I messed up on where to post this. I'm new here and idk where everything is or goes ^^'

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen yesterday
    Depends on the price of the proper cable and Game Boy Color (+ different cable). Presumes the cable to be a fairly low risk purchase, in terms of cost.

No worries about posting in the wrong place. Happens fairly often. Learned for any future threads.

Back