• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] How to insert a script into a ROM

Santalune Forest

Oh dear, he's here
Years
  • I've got my script written and everything, but I can't figure out how to actually save the script into the game file. All the tutorials I have watched are using an outdated version of Pokescript. I'm assuming I have to start by using "Search for Free Space" but there is no option to insert the script into the space it's found. >.<

Also, this might be the place to post this, and if it is please tell me and I will move it.

Years
  • Generally speaking, script was an off-shoot of the hex coding of the game. As such, it had to firstly be placed into the game, in free or unused space or in place of another script, and then either used or pointed to elsewhere, for instance by a character event. In that sense, you're correct to find 'free space' first of all, and then write to it.

This might be program-specific issue, however, or you might not have searched for enough space to place your script. You would usually be able to navigate to the free space found, and write or paste to it, however. As such, others who use the program might be able to specify. It might also depend in part on what the script is, or what type of script it is rather, but that needn't be the central issue at that point.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2018
    I've got my script written and everything, but I can't figure out how to actually save the script into the game file. All the tutorials I have watched are using an outdated version of Pokescript. I'm assuming I have to start by using "Search for Free Space" but there is no option to insert the script into the space it's found. >.<

Also, this might be the place to post this, and if it is please tell me and I will move it.

You said an outdated version of Pokescript? I highly recommend XSE it is a great scripting program then after that download Freespace finder and put it in the same folder as XSE. And XSE has a TON of tutorials so it will help in the long run.

Santalune Forest

Oh dear, he's here
    Years
  • You said an outdated version of Pokescript? I highly recommend XSE it is a great scripting program then after that download Freespace finder and put it in the same folder as XSE. And XSE has a TON of tutorials so it will help in the long run.

Thank you for recommending XSE, I downloaded it and watched some tutorials and now it's working perfectly!

Back