• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to insert HIGH QUALITY cries using Sappy (no Pokecry here)

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Question about insertion because I'm curious: does there need to be some freespace between each cry? Does the sound run together if you don't do that?

Looking back there was a couple times when I inserted samples starting with the byte right next to where the last one ends.

In every cry's header is the length, so it won't affect.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
The XX is the directsound type.. :D

I actually figured everything out a month ago thanks to your post in that other thread I made. Thanks for the help man, both here and in that other thread. Doing so allowed me to insert really good sounding cries to all my expanded Pokemon, including one that isn't exactly a "normal Pokemon cry" per se. xD

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
Years
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
I have another question, this time about the repointing method used in the tutorial and an expanded Pokedex.

I set up GBAPGE to see what this looks like in the editor, and I see along with the cry offset there is a conversion number for these right next to it for my new Pokemon. Now the strange thing is that some of the Hoenn Pokemons share the same conversion number. Whenever I repoint a cry and save on a new Pokemon, the cry pointer changes on the others sharing the same number as well.

Can I just change the conversion to anything or leave it blank? Or is there something more to this?

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
Years
Sorry that it's been just over a month since this was posted in, but since it's not that far off I have a question directly relating to this tutorial.

What would it take to follow this method and replace the other misc. sounds in-game? Like menu selection sounds, jumping over ledges, etc etc?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Sorry that it's been just over a month since this was posted in, but since it's not that far off I have a question directly relating to this tutorial.

What would it take to follow this method and replace the other misc. sounds in-game? Like menu selection sounds, jumping over ledges, etc etc?

Yes. They can be changed also using Sappy. You just need to use "<<" and ">>" these buttons to navigate outside the playlist too and also go to music number "0" to start searching those sounds.

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
Years

pokefreak890

The One that will make everything great
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 18, 2023
question when i import my sample and then i go into gbapge to start doing step 6 i get this

This is not a pokemon game what do i do plz help

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Apr 25, 2019
Forgive me if this sounds stupid (im completely new to rom hacking) , but is there not just a wav file you could load into a DAW like fl or cubase and make your own custom cries? (im rather good at audio production been at it 15 years self taught) I'd love some actual roars...etc for for the cries but using lower audio quality to keep the files compressed.

pokefreak890

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 18, 2023
Can someone please help me out with the cries I get to this part of the tutorial

8. The search for the pointer should now take you to exactly where the offset is in the first cry table. Now go four bytes before that offset, and you should see the bytes "20 3C 00 00"

I can't find the 20 3C 00 00 and sometimes I can't even find the pointer if anyone can help me that would be great

pokefreak890

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 18, 2023
Hello I'm sorry to revive this thread but I need help okay so after I add the pointer to my cry using DARKRAI LV 1000's way I go into PGE to insert the pointer but after I do and I click repoint it says

"Input String is not in a correct format"

What does this mean and how can I get it to work

Years
Can someone please help me out with the cries I get to this part of the tutorial

8. The search for the pointer should now take you to exactly where the offset is in the first cry table. Now go four bytes before that offset, and you should see the bytes "20 3C 00 00"

I can't find the 20 3C 00 00

I'm having this issue myself. I inserted Lucario's cry at B79074, yet when I looked at the pointer version of it, I couldn't find the 20 3C 00 00 at all. Did I do something wrong? I imported the cry via Sappy using the exact steps used by the tutorial. Help please.

pokefreak890

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen May 18, 2023
well i figured it out by finding a cry table in a hack that already works and pasted it over mines then i find the pointer that PGE gives me in the cry pointer box and it should take u directly where u need to change it to wherever you put lucario's cry

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 15, 2016
Hi, I'm really sorry to keep on bringing this up, But can anyone explain how to edit the cries of the Gen 3 pokemon? I might not be quite well versed with this stuff, but i've more or less tried everything i could from tutorial.

I did change the cries of gen 1 and 2 pokemon comfortably, but I'm really not able to do the same with gen 3 pokemon. can anyone help ?

I also read the post about adding the conversion table by GoGoJJTech saying "You need to add the cryconversiontable offset to your ini".
I couldn't really understand it. I'm really sorry if it might seem stupid but, i really want help! :(

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 5, 2021
Sorry for posting in such an old topic.
Is there a way to compress cries so that they would occupy less memory (even at the cost of lowering quality)?
Unfortunately >10000 bytes just for one cry is a really huge amount of memory...
I ask becase I saw that old GBA cries are compressed.

Back