• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] How to insert LeafGreen's intro into FireRed?

Years
    • He / Him
    • Seen May 19, 2022
    I'm trying to create a version of LeafGreen based on FireRed, since FireRed has way more resources available for it, and I've finished editing all of the Pokémon data. Now all I need to do is just insert the LeafGreen intro, but I can't figure out how to do this. The offset in LeafGreen for the animated background is 0x3BF764, while in FireRed it's 0x3BF77C, as found from this thread, but I don't know how long either of them are, and I know that I'll need to replace more as well. Any help on how I could do this would be appreciated.

Last edited:

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
    Here, I compiled a list of graphics for LG's opening for you:

Code:
    LG Title (256 Colours):
    0xEAB944 (2010)
    0xEAD508 (2011)

Venusaur:
    0xEAD788 (2012)
    0xEAE1EC (2013)

Game Freak, Press Start & Black Bars:
    0xEAE3A8 (2014)
    0xEAE668 (2015)

More Background Stuff:
    0x3BF56C (140)
    0x3BF588 (141)

Venusaur's shine effect:
    0x3BF634 (142)

Leaves:
    0x3BF784 (143)

Ovals in Background:
    0x3BF89C (144)

For the graphics with two offsets, the first offset is the tileset and the second is the tilemap. The numbers in the brackets are the numbers given to the graphics in unlz. Since you want to port them over, the FR graphics are easy to find as not only are they plastered everywhere on the forum, they're very close to LG's unlz numbers (except for the ovals as they don't exist in FR's title screen).

Last edited:
    Years
    • He / Him
    • Seen May 19, 2022
    Here, I compiled a list of graphics for LG's opening for you:

Code:
    LG Title (256 Colours):
    0xEAB944 (2010)
    0xEAD508 (2011)

Venusaur:
    0xEAD788 (2012)
    0xEAE1EC (2013)

Game Freak, Press Start & Black Bars:
    0xEAE3A8 (2014)
    0xEAE668 (2015)

More Background Stuff:
    0x3BF56C (140)
    0x3BF588 (141)

Venusaur's shine effect:
    0x3BF634 (142)

Leaves:
    0x3BF784 (143)

Ovals in Background:
    0x3BF89C (144)

For the graphics with two offsets, the first offset is the tileset and the second is the tilemap. The numbers in the brackets are the numbers given to the graphics in unlz. Since you want to port them over, the FR graphics are easy to find as not only are they plastered everywhere on the forum, they're very close to LG's unlz numbers (except for the ovals as they don't exist in FR's title screen).

Thanks! I managed to do it... kinda. This is what it looks like. As you can see, there's quite a lot wrong with it. First off, the LeafGreen logo is all messed up. Second, it's still got the orange-red hue of FireRed on Venusaur and the top & bottom bars rather than the green hue of LeafGreen. Lastly, the leaves follow the animation of the fire in FireRed rather than shooting across the screen like they do in LeafGreen, and the ovals don't appear at all. Do you have any idea how to fix any of these issues?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
    First off, the LeafGreen logo is all messed up.

It looks like you're using a blending filter which blurs colours. This has an especially pronounced effect on colours that change drastically within the space of a few pixels. Try turning that off/ changing to the simple filter and I'm sure that the title will look fine.

Second, it's still got the orange-red hue of FireRed on Venusaur and the top & bottom bars rather than the green hue of LeafGreen.

That's because you've inserted the new graphics, but haven't edited their pallets. If you open a FR and LG ROM side by side and looked at their pallet viewers you'll see where their pallets differ. Here's a list of pallets and where they are in each ROM. Just copy the pallet data (each is 32 bytes long) over from LG in a hex editor/ use APE.

Code:
    Venusaur/ Charizard:
    LG: 0xEAD768
    FR: 0xEAD5E8

Background/ Press Start (This uses two pallet slots, but only reads one pallet):
    LG: 0xEAE388
    FR: 0xEAE094

Flames/ Leaves:
    LG: 0x3BF764
    FR: 0x3BF77C

'Shine' (Probably don't have to replace this one):
    LG: 0xEAE778
    FR: 0xEAE488

Unknown (Probably isn't used, but just incase it is):
    LG: 0xEAB8C4
    FR: 0xEAB844

If in the future you want to find pallets for yourself, I'd suggest checking out this thread to learn how to do it.

Lastly, the leaves follow the animation of the fire in FireRed rather than shooting across the screen like they do in LeafGreen, and the ovals don't appear at all. Do you have any idea how to fix any of these issues?

Those would be the biggest hurdles because as far as I know, there is zero information regarding either of them. You would need to find a good ASM'er, but I doubt you'd find anybody willing to go deep diving in order to figure out how the title screen works and port it over to LG. I'd suggest trying to change it up a bit. Maybe instead of the flames, you have vines growing or something like that.

Back