• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How to make your Pokemon like you more!

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    Alright, so besides from the obvious Soothe Bell and Medicine, I found some excellent ways to make your Pokemon happier. I had problems with my Larvitars, and found some great ways to make them like you.

;) HOW TO MAKE YOUR POKEMON LIKE LOVE YOU EVEN MORE! ;)

How to make your Pokemon like you more!

1. Take them for a WALK not a run, through National Park. It makes them relaxed, and it's nice. They also find many items.

2. If they have a special "Lyra/Ethan Spot" take them there and talk to them a lot. e.g. Bellsprout in Sprout Tower.

3. Walk them on Route 32 and Route 34. All Pokemon seem to love these routes, and will enjoy walking through them.

4. If it is a Fire-Type you are trying to make happy, take him into the Charcoal Kiln's house. If you have access, take them to Clair's Gym. If it is a water type take them to Route 33.

5. Give them and Elemental boosting item. e.g. Rock Type holds Hard Stone.

6. Use them in important battles with Gym Leaders, as it boosts their confidence! Contributed by shanecdavis

7. Get them groomed in the Underground. Contrary to popular belief, the younger brother gives more Happiness to the Pokemon!Contributed by shanecdavis

8. Feed your Pokemon Soda-Pop and Lemonade! They love the sweet flavor. And if you have a Pikachu give him Ketchup!jk Contributed by Yusshin

9. Catch them in a Luxury Ball. They enjoy the plush interior and it makes them friendlier and cozier. Contributed by An-san rebelleon

10. This is the biggest and most important one of all: Hatch it from an egg. Pokemon feel more bonded with a trainer if they have literally been there since the beginning.

If everything works out right, your Pokemon will be hugging you all the time!

I hope I helped!

With all regards,

-ChrisTom​

Last edited:
    Years
    Can also use:

Friend/Luxury Ball to capture Pokemon
    use vitamins, Protein for example
    those Apricorn smoothies
    use health items, potions/status heals, in battle

iRawr

Poli?
    Years
    • Uk
    • Seen Apr 5, 2010
    Thanks for this, Its really helpful :)

How to make your Pokemon like you more!
    POSTS!!!!

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I know your intent is good, but some of those are myths as they pertain to increasing the Happiness of a Pokemon. Happiness is a hidden value that is measured on a scale from 0-255. When you encounter a Pokemon, either in the wild or through breeding, it has a base Happiness value.

The following Pokemon start with a Happiness value of ZERO:
    Arceus, Buneary, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys (Attack), Deoxys (Defense), Deoxys (Speed), Dialga, Giratina (Altered), Giratina (Origin), Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Lugia, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Regigigas

The following Pokemon start with a Happiness value of 35:
    Absol, Aggron, Aron, Articuno, Bagon, Banette, Beldum, Cacnea, Cacturne, Carvanha, Chatot, Dragonair, Dragonite, Dratini, Dusclops, Dusknoir, Duskull, Entei, Gallade, Gardevoir, Glaceon, Honchkrow, Houndoom, Houndour, Kirlia, Lairon, Larvitar, Leafeon, Metagross, Metang, Misdreavus, Mismagius, Moltres, Murkrow, Pupitar, Raikou, Ralts, Regice, Regirock, Registeel, Sableye, Salamence, Sharpedo, Shelgon, Shuppet, Sneasel, Suicune, Tyranitar, Umbreon, Weavile, Zapdos

The following Pokemon start with a Happiness value of 90:
    Latias, Latios

The following Pokemon start with a Happiness value of 100:
    Ambipom, Celebi, Cresselia, Croagunk, Heatran, Jirachi, Luxio, Mew, Pachirisu, Shaymin, Shaymin (Sky)

The following Pokemon start with a Happiness value of 140:
    Azelf, Blissey, Chansey, Clefable, Clefairy, Cleffa, Happiny, Lopunny, Mesprit, Uxie

All other Pokemon will start with a Happiness value of 70. Also note that any time you trade your Pokemon, even if you have maxed its Happiness, it will change back to its Base value. So, if you have spent time and effort to max out the Happiness value of your Arceus and trade it from your DPP to HGSS, it will revert back to ZERO.

Here is a list of things that affect the Happiness value of a Pokemon in a positive fashion:
    - Walk 256 steps with the Pokemon in your active Party. (+1 for all happiness values)
    - Give the Pokemon Vitamins [HP Up, Carbos, Iron, Protein, Calcium, Zinc, PP Up] (+5 0-99, +3 100-199, +2 200-254)
    - Usage in Important Battle [Gym Leaders, Elites, Champion] (+3 0-99, +2 100-199, +1 200-254)
    - Level Up the Pokemon (+5 0-99, +3 100-199, +2 200-254 per level)

Having it hold a Soothe Bell will increase all the above increases by 1. The Luxury in Gen III used to also give a +1 increase, but in Gen IV it seems that it has its own increase determination. In HGSS, you can also groom your Pokemon to increase its Happiness, speak to it while it is walking with you, and also take it for a stroll in the Pokewalker, which is my preferred method, although I haven't found out what the values are for them.

Here is a list of things that affect the Happiness value of a Pokemon in a negative fashion:
    - The Pokemon faints in battle. (-1 for all happiness values)
    - Use of Energypowder (-5 for values 0-199, -10 for values 200-249)
    - Use of Heal Powder (-5 for values 0-199, -10 for values 200-249)
    - Use of Energy Root (-10 for values 0-199, -15 for values 200-249)
    - Use of Revival Herb (-15 for values 0-199, -20 for values 200-249)
    - As mentioned before, trading your Pokemon will reset its happiness to its base value, so be warned.

All other methods (i.e. placing your Pokemon in your PC or winning wild battles) have no proven affect on a Pokemon's Happiness value.

There are also some Pokemon that will evolve when their Happiness value reaches 220:
    Azurill, Budew, Buneary, Chansey, Chingling, Cleffa, Eevee, Golbat, Igglybuff, Munchlax, Pichu, Riolu, and Togepi

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    The Pokewalker does raise Happiness, but as I said before, I haven't been able to find out yet the value of it. Personally, this is my preferred method at increasing Happiness as it is the fastest that I have found.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2014
    Posted by: Shanecdavis
    "- Walk 256 steps with the Pokemon in your active Party. (+1 for all happiness values)
    - Give the Pokemon Vitamins [HP Up, Carbos, Iron, Protein, Calcium, Zinc, PP Up] (+5 0-99, +3 100-199, +2 200-254)
    - Usage in Important Battle [Gym Leaders, Elites, Champion] (+3 0-99, +2 100-199, +1 200-254)
    - Level Up the Pokemon (+5 0-99, +3 100-199, +2 200-254 per level)"

You should add those, those helped me alot
    also, thanks for this thread :) i finally evolved my togepi xD

FFX383

Pokemon Master
    Years
    The pokewalker does do wonders with raising your pokemons happiness. I have only had my larvitar for like 5 levels and 4 of those i got through the pokewalker and when i talk to him he always wants to come closer and has a heart over his head.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    use health items, potions/status heals, in battle

That's a bit misleading; the only health-recovering items that affect happiness positively are Fresh Water, Soda Pop, and Lemonade; perhaps Berries as well, but as far as I've read, no (unless it's the obvious EV berries which decrease stats in exchange for happiness).

A normal Potion / Super Potion / Hyper Potion / Max Potion doesn't affect happiness.

Negative happiness results come from using Bitter products to heal Pokemon.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    I'm glad so many people like this thread. I did forget about the Luxury Ball (sorry!) but yes Pokewalker increases Happiness as well. I'm telling you again, hatching them from an egg does complete WONDERS on Happiness. Pokeathlon is "ok" but it really only affects them if you win.

Thank you all for showing interest and I would like to say congratulations to iRawr for 100 posts! May there be 900 more where that came from!

dastandy

Eevee Trainer
    Years
    There is a lady in a side house in goldenrod city that tells you, your pokemon's happiness do anyone know what specficly she says coresponds to a certain number range of happiness?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010

That's a bit misleading; the only health-recovering items that affect happiness positively are Fresh Water, Soda Pop, and Lemonade; perhaps Berries as well, but as far as I've read, no (unless it's the obvious EV berries which decrease stats in exchange for happiness).

A normal Potion / Super Potion / Hyper Potion / Max Potion doesn't affect happiness.

Negative happiness results come from using Bitter products to heal Pokemon.
    It is misleading because it is incorrect. There are no health recovery items that affect a Pokemon's Happiness value.

I'm glad so many people like this thread. I did forget about the Luxury Ball (sorry!) but yes Pokewalker increases Happiness as well. I'm telling you again, hatching them from an egg does complete WONDERS on Happiness. Pokeathlon is "ok" but it really only affects them if you win.
    Again hatching a Pokemon from an egg or finding it in the wild or receiving it from a trade will give the Pokemon its base Happiness value (typically 70, other than the exceptions I mentioned above), and has no continual effect on the process. Winning in the Pokeathlon has no affect on Happiness.

Designing the pokeball they are in suppossly ups thier happiness i heard too.
    There is currently nothing to verify that this is indeed fact. Probably just one of too many internet rumors, like many mentioned here already.

There is a lady in a side house in goldenrod city that tells you, your pokemon's happiness do anyone know what specficly she says coresponds to a certain number range of happiness?
    I am currently trying to find out this information. I will post it just as soon as I know.

Back