• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to pronounce the names?

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    Does everyone knows how to pronounce the names of the generation 4 pokemon? i had a hard time! it might be good if someone could list them out...

carter756978

Bass Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2013
    i too make up my own pronuciations, but then when the anime comes out i'm like "wtf! thats not how it's pronounced"

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    I usually make up my own pronunciations, then find out later that they're wrong. XD

Any specific ones you'd like to know?

well, almost all the names i do not know :P

i actually pronounce palkia as pie-kia...

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Consider watching the anime for pronunciation help. Im sure its floating around the net somewhere.

fade101

I rawr youu!!
    Years
  • LOL! Who needs pronounciation and all those crap. Just give em nicknames or make your own name...
    JOKING!
    Hmm... you should try open this site, it will definitely help ya with ya pronouncraps... Obviously, go to the D/P/P pokedex section XD

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    i couldnt say pachirisu at 1st but now i xan can its ma fav other then Minum

I had no idea how to say Pachirisu when I first saw it, I suppose it's because it's Japanese. Looking back, I find it pretty funny that I didn't know how to pronounce it.

I used to pronounce Dialga "die-al-ga" before the anime said "dee-al-ga". I should've known because that's Japanese as well. I still prefer "die-al-ga" though

Gacs

Custom User Title
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2008
    I call Palkia Pal-kee-uh too.

It doesn't really bother me if I have incorrect pronunciations...but I can understand how it could be embarrassing >>

Katnip

Harajuku Lover
    Years
  • I don't know if Giratina is pronounced Gir-AH-tina or Gir-a-TEEN-a. I have no clue how to pronounce Weavile, so I say it WEE-vill. I used to pronounce Staravia as Starvaria (with all those A's, I get confused)

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Weavile is Weasel and Vile, so you take up the two words and take their pronounciations from them. For example, Weasel is pronounced WEE-zuhl so you take the first part and put it into Weavile's name. So we now know that The first syllable of Weavile's name is WEE. So we look at the second syllable of Weavile now. Vile is pronounced vahyl. Now we know that the second syllable of Weavile's name. We take the first syllable and the second syllable and put them together. In conclusion, Weavile's name is pronounced WEE-vahyl. That's how you figure out the pronounciation of most of the Pokemon names. Some names do not follow this rule, such as Dialga. In the world Diamond, the first syllable is not pronounced as dee, but it is rather pronounced as DYE. In Dialga's name, it is pronounced dee-A which shows how some words and Pokemon names can differ. Sometimes, I wouldn't recommend looking and watching the anime because the pronounciations sometimes differ slightly from episode to episode. Suicune was pronounced SWEE-koon but was later pronounced swee-KOON. The accents sometimes change. But chances are the anime is more accurate, so keep your eye on the anime for a while.

RSL

RaikouSpecialLover
    Years
  • There is no correct pronounciation for Pokemon. Period. (I also can assume that the average American can't read Japanese: Pachirisu, at the very least, is pronounced PAHtch-E-REES. You don't pronounce the U at the end.)

But still, there is no "correct" pronounciation. Even the word "Pokemon" isn't safe. (A poll that used to be here said the vast majority of us here say poh-KA-mon, not poh-KAY-mon or poh-KEY-mon.)

So when it comes to pronounciations, be like Jesus and accept them all.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    I think the "u" in pachirisu is unpronounced because when they get to "ris" there is a slight "u" sonud.

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2010
    In the next gens pokedex there should be a phonetic name next to their writen name. Just to stop this mispronunciation happening any more.

Halcyon

peace and serenity
    Years
  • Illumise. I pronouced it as ee-loo-mise
    Then I see TV they pronouce it as ee-loo-me-say... LOL

Anyways, at first I thought Illumise is a fire-type Pokemon
    because the pokedex says it is a firebug Pokemon...

carter756978

Bass Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2013
    some things i can think of at the moment that i get wrong is, ray-quar-za which according to the anime is Ray-quay-za, i don't have a clue with bonsly, as the anime cant even decide. And before i couldnt pronounce pachirisu and i used to call dialga die-ag-la.

Back