• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to pronounce the names?

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    I pronounce it as "Ar-cee-yous". As for Dialga I pronounced it as "Dee-ialga.

I pronounce Arceus as AR-SEE-US.

I used to call Dunsparce DUN-SPARE-ENSE. I have no idea where the "n" came from.

I also used to call Gardevoir GAR-DEV-EE-OR until I found out that it's GAR-DUH-VWAHR.

And a rather common one, CHAR-ZARD. It's CHAR-AH-ZARD.

sandcrawler

slacking off in my spare time.
    Years
    I liked how for say, the first ten episodes of the original series, the main characters pronounced Pokemon "PoH-KUH-mon." I hate how they say 'PoH-KAY-mon.'

Arceus, huh? It's always either 'AR-say-uhS' and occasionally 'AR-Cay-uhz.' Zapdos used to have an a between 'zap' and 'dos.'

Giratina = Jer-a-tihna. I dread the day.

RSL

RaikouSpecialLover
    Years
    The official pronounciation for Pokemon is POE-keh-mon.

And in reference to my previous post, Bonsly is pronounced BOHN-sly since it is made up of the words Bonsai and Sly. Milotic is made up of the words Venus de Milo (famous sculpture in the french Louvre Museum) and exotic. Using those pronounciations, Milotic is pronounced my-LOE-tik.

And King Cosmic, you do realize that "Venasaur" is spelled as "Venusaur, making the pronounciations different. The origin of Venusaur comes from the Venus Fly Trap (a plant) and Dinosaur. Combining the pronounciations of the two words would add up to Venusaur being pronounced VEE-nuh-sore.

There are no right or wrong pronounciations.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    There are no right or wrong pronounciations.
    Yes, there are. Honestly, if you pronounce Bulbasaur as Blub-luh-slour then it's obviously wrong. There are right pronounciations, and possibly more than one. I just posted the most scientific way to approach the pronounciation of a certain Pokemon's name.

RSL

RaikouSpecialLover
    Years
    Yes, there are. Honestly, if you pronounce Bulbasaur as Blub-luh-slour then it's obviously wrong. There are right pronounciations, and possibly more than one. I just posted the most scientific way to approach the pronounciation of a certain Pokemon's name.

What I meant was it was only 1 syllable away from the norm.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    I say Wee-vill but it is pronounced Wee viele

EDIT: I don't care too much about pronounciation because it is not an essential part of pokemon and I prefer to read them how they are spelt, easier that way. It is interesting though how some pokemon names are said completly different to how you think. =D

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2019
    what about missingno? some of my friends say it as missing-gu-no... i just say missing-no...

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    what about missingno? some of my friends say it as missing-gu-no... i just say missing-no...

Well, missingno means "missing number" I suppose, so that's why I pronounce it missing-no as well

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    Well, missingno means "missing number" I suppose, so that's why I pronounce it missing-no as well

YES OMG THANKS YOU YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON I'VE EVER MET WHO GOT IT RIGHT!!!

No. stands for number.

And whoever said it's mis-sig-no. No. Just wrong. I'm sorry, but I remember people saying that and I never understood why they left out the n for no reason. It makes no sense, that's not a silent n. It just stemmed from 10-year olds reading it quickly and saying it wrong and then it stuck.

Back