• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen How to replace the internal battery.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any damage to you, your gameboy, your game or anything else.

Please note: If you have a saved file. It will be deleted.

This is only proven to work for Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

Images came from Google and instructions found on instructables.com

All credit for this goes to the creator, josh92176 on instructables.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What you need:
    A game
    A small straight head screwdriver
    A CR2025 battery
    And tape (preferably sticky tape of electrical tape)

Step 1:
    Turn the screw on the back anticlockwise.
    How to replace the internal battery.

Step 2:
    Now this is the complected part.

Take the precision screwdriver and push it from where the tab is stuck onto the battery near the outside in towards the inside therefore removing the tabfrom the battery but keeping it attached to the pcb. Repeat on the tab stuck to the bottom of the battery.

Stick on the new battery with the tape making sure to get good contact between the battery with the tabs. If that comes loose then your save gets deleted.

Note that the battery goes in upside down (see the polarity markings on the pcb)

Example:
    How to replace the internal battery.

Step 3:

Now screw in the screw, by turning it clockwise.

Now test in turn it on and then start a new game. Then save the game, turn it off, wait about 30 seconds, and turn it on and if you have continue as an option you did it right. If it doesn't show continue, then try again.

PokeFan187

Pikachu Fanatic ~ ⋆
    Years
    Wow, this looks good. :o
    I'm going to have to try this with my Gold Version!
    I just need to get a battery first. xP
    Thanks for putting this up!

JaggedMan

The Cheese Pokemon!
    Years
    I am just saying what I think it deserves. I can't tell you if it's going to be a sticky or not. It's just my opinion on what I would like happen. (I have too do this with myself).

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    I am just saying what I think it deserves. I can't tell you if it's going to be a sticky or not. It's just my opinion on what I would like happen. (I have too do this with myself).

It works. But when you open it up just remove the battery nothing else.

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
    Definitely a very useful thread, however, only problem I see here is that I am extremely resentful of losing my Pokemon Silver game data. It's my best Pokemon game with my best team, I'd be absolutely devastated if I lost it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2009
    Definitely a very useful thread, however, only problem I see here is that I am extremely resentful of losing my Pokemon Silver game data. It's my best Pokemon game with my best team, I'd be absolutely devastated if I lost it.

Then don't do it. I did it because my battery had already died and it lost it's data.

Satoshi Yamazaki

Freelancer
    Years

If you have Gold or Crystal, you could trade your team over to one of them so that you don't lose their data when you are replacing the internal battery for your Silver game. There still is the fact that you'll lose your gameplay data, but at least you could keep your best team. Just trade them back to your Silver version once you've replaced the battery.

Nice thread, btw. Very helpful.

Back