• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to stop being a "Genwunner"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Hello. I am Digidark822, and I am in no way special. I do however, see that many are irritated by Genwunners all the time. So today, I shall begin research on how it is that we can cure the nuisance of Genwunning. Please understand that I myself am a slight Genwunner, but I would like to stop being one and share the methods of removing the inner Genwunner to the world.

(Please note that all Genwunners that would like to change their ways like myself will be openly accepted and all hating will be ignored.)

Any findings regarding how Genwunners can change their ways will be of instrumental value, so feel free to PM me :D

I cannot stress enough that I do not wish anyone to be offended. All I want is a way for people to learn to stop being so biased. If this type of thread is disallowed, then Moderators, feel free to let me know, because I want to make sure I don't make anyone feel offended. One problem I have figured out throughout the years is that no matter what you do there will inevitably be backlash.

I ask that opinions are respected here, be it that of a Genwunner or not. So please, by all means, share your status as to whether you are in fact a Genwunner, want to change your ways out of Genwunning, or if you aren't a Genwunner and have something to share with the community! Thank you.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
  • There are actually Genwunners out there? I thought it was all meme related. Some people are just weirdos that never tried the new games.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • So, I just have to ask (sorry if I sound like a newb), but what exactly is a genwunner? Is it someone who's been playing since Gen I, or is it the elitists who thinks Gen I is the only legitimate iteration of Pokemon? Because the latter irritates me too -_-

Years
  • So, I just have to ask (sorry if I sound like a newb), but what exactly is a genwunner? Is it someone who's been playing since Gen I, or is it the elitists who thinks Gen I is the only legitimate iteration of Pokemon? Because the latter irritates me too -_-

The second of those, basically. A genwunner is a "fan" who basically only acknowledges the first generation of Pokémon and the things in it as real Pokémon. And sometimes Generation II. They especially hate Generation V and tend to trash on the Pokémon and game mechanics in it.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I think a lot of people would suggest this to Genwunners: just play the games. I have so many fond memories from every generation. Some Genwunners stop after a certain generation, whether it be I, or maybe going so far as V and not playing VI. But I suggest trying all the generations. At the end of it all, tell me you didn't enjoy any of them and I'll stop pestering you about it. It's the people that gripe about these new generations, but don't give it a chance that are getting to me. It's Pokemon. The game you grew to love in Gen I is still the same, in fact many people complain they're bored of the same mechanics and plot lines. So they introduced new Pokemon. You're going to tell me out of the 721 Pokemon, 152-721 are all terrible? They introduced Triple Battles? Well they're not a main part of the stories, you don't have to do them.

But I digress. As you can see this is something that I'm particularly adamant about. I don't mean to be rude, but the reasons people claim to be Genwunners just seems illogical.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • A lot of gamers in their late teens and early twenties that played the original Pokémon games feel like they've "outgrown" the series and will look at the newer generations with condescension...as if even giving them a chance will make you less of a gamer. honestly, if that's your attitude towards one of gaming's biggest franchises, you don't really have the right to call yourself a true gamer.

If you've given the games a chance and still don't enjoy it, that's a different story, but giving the game a chance is what matters the most. XD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Oh, nice thread!

I used to be a genwunner, but that was back when gen II came out and I refused to believe such a silly thing as a Steelix. As if Onix needs an evolution! Especially one with an evil grin.

But that was long time ago. Nowadays there are so many great pokémon in later generations so I can't really say that I like gen I more or that it is the "real" generation of pokémon. However, I can look back at the times (the anime, the cards, the everything) when there only was 151 pokémon in existence and it was special. I liked those times, not even in a nostalgic way here, but in that you could know every pokémon by heart somehow.

These days, the world is bigger and there is a pokémon for everything, and several pokémon on the same theme etc. A lot of birds, as seen in the Mega Mewtwo Y movie for example, a hundred fish or so, several apes and monkeys and pigs and electrical rodents. But the animal kingdom in our own world has even more subtle differences, so it's okay.

I think, to make a genwunner see what we see, you need to make them understand how the franchise got better with the addition of more generations. The games got a lot better, both graphics wise, gameplay wise and story wise. The last point might be the most subjective, but still. I don't think there's one generation that hasn't added more good than bad stuff to the pokémon franchise :)

A lot of gamers in their late teens and early twenties that played the original Pokémon games feel like they've "outgrown" the series and will look at the newer generations with condescension...as if even giving them a chance will make you less of a gamer. honestly, if that's your attitude towards one of gaming's biggest franchises, you don't really have the right to call yourself a true gamer.
    Haha, agree with you. You can't be stuck in the past forever. My reason is that I don't want to get a modern gaming system, but at least I accept the new games.

Years
  • I don't understand why people get so worked up over this.

I have some good friends who could be called Genwunners.. they stopped playing the game ages ago and look back at where things have gone and just can't be bothered to keep up with it anymore. And I respect that. I can't keep up with half the things this game asks of me, but its still fun.. I love the strategy behind it.. I love thinking up new ideas to catch people off guard. In a lot of ways, this game is right up my alley. It doesn't take away anything from my enjoyment of the game how other people think of it. I could careless.

If there's any Genwunners going around saying crap about how everything is inferior to the "master race" or something.. those people aren't Genwunners. They are trolls. Ignorant trolls who aren't worth the time of day even talking to or attempting to reason with.. because if they're like that about Pokemon, just imagine what else they're jaded about. That doesn't mean that everyone who doesn't like anything beyond Gen 1 is an ignorant d-bag.. I think its totally acceptable saying "I don't like X generation because reason Y" .. I don't like most of 2nd Gen because they all look like retarded cartoony doodles that don't fit in with the other gens very well at all. Does that make me a horrible person? I don't think it does.

Furthermore.. there really isn't anything to "cure".. you don't have a disease bro. A lot has changed since red and blue.. but MOST of it is for the better. Thats the way I see it. Try picking up X/Y and play it? It is very nostalgic about it's roots.. but if it's not your thing, it's not your thing man. No one is forcing you to cram all this dumb stuff down your throat. And any Poke-fan that tells you otherwise is speaking on the opposite side of the spectrum.. who could almost be just as bad as some "Genwunners"..

Actually, just go read a book.. take a walk outside and go to a park or something.. enjoy life. Being worried if your a Genwunner is about as dumb as me posting about why it's dumb.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Stop forcing people to change their opinion. If someone doesn't like the newer pokémon games, that doesn't make them a inferior being to you. Just because I thought that Gen 5 was a pile of ♥♥♥♥ doesn't make me superior to you.

Genwunners are basically like the PC MASTER RACE; a stereotype hated so much that anybody who is even remotely close to is called up as one.

Years
  • Again, I did not say I was forcing people to change their opinions, they simply were allowed to state that they'd like to or not. I was never intending a forced change of opinion. I also never said they were inferior, just that some people dislike them.

I should also bring up the point that I, too, dislike the fact that there are mons like Garbodor and I even question why they exist every so often. Then again, this reminds me that there were Pokemon like that before in Gen 1. Seriously, a pokeball that flips upside down when it evolves? A pile of sludge that turns into a bigger pile of sludge? And in my opinion, some of the more lazy designs were Magneton and Dugtrio. I still like them like I like most, but really? Three Magnemites/Digletts stuck together and called a new species?

I don't hate genwunners per se, but am rather just irritated by those that are ignorant and refuse to accept that there is so much more out there. I started with Gen 4 several years ago as my first games (I started reaaaally late) and then saw the new ones, wanting to beat a game in every region. Soulsilver? Check. Pearl? Check. Ruby? Stuck on the league >.< But this does not change the fact that there should be Gen 3 remakes there are people that are stuck holding on to a small amount of nostalgia when they could not only remember the good times, but heck, make more new memories in the newer games. I mean, if you really want to play it again, Emulators and ROMS (which I am not allowed to link to) can help a TON with a nostalgia trip if you so wanted one. I mean, after years of not even remembering that I had them, I popped Pearl/SoulSilver back into the slot and the nostalgia exploded back.

So above all, I really just made this thread that I'm sure there are people out there tired of being disliked because of being a Genwunner.

Thank you once again for reading through this thread. I never expected to get this much notice in a short time.

Also #inb4flamewar >.<

Last edited:

Glameow

Purrrfect~
    Years
  • I love Gen 1. Who doesn't? It's how most of us got started, but to live in the past when XY or DP-PLT had a good story and Pokemon is a bit ridiculous. The original 150 will always be a mile marker for Pokemon. It's weird to think people flat out hate the new games without even bothering to play them to compare, especially XY when a ton of the original pokemon are available

Aiden Blue

Cincinnati's Trainer
    Years
  • This is thread is literally a waste of time. The fact that GameFreak is known to make some REALLY stupid Pokemon is a known fact, whether you want to blindly accept them all as perfect, than you are really not getting the point.

Generation One isn't to blame if the young ones don't see how lame a "Trubish" is. Theres ALWAYS a Pokemon that is really... Dumb. In Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, what was the point of a Exeggcute? its literally broken eggs, and one of them is DEAD. Wouldn't it be a Grass/Ghost? Just... Blah. And Porygon? There's no rhyme or reason for it.

Regardless of the sad, poor, and broken designs of a few Pokemon, I do love them all. No one should have to change they're point of view, just because you don't like it... Seems kinda disrespectful.

=/

isthatyoudan

doesn't work well with others...
    Years
  • I don't see anything wrong with being a genwunner. It's like being only into classics anywhere else. Like the Pokémon you want! I'm a big Gen 3 buff for some reason! There's nothing wrong with not getting into other regions.

Steelix8

The Undertaker
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2014
    A person must have all the following characteristics to be considered a textbook "genwunner":

1) A genwunner only accepts the original 151 Pokemon as legitimate creatures from the franchise.

2) A genwunner will not acknowledge any value in any Pokemon 152 onward and refuses to believe that any Pokemon game other than those in Gen 1 was in any way good. Rarely, they will selectively choose specific Pokemon from other generations that they deem "alright". These usually include Lugia, Rayquaza, and Salamence.

3) A genwunner will question the legitimacy of Pokemon fans who aren't genwunners. In other words, they view people who like the other generations as lesser than themselves, and believe that "true" Pokemon fans only enjoy Gen 1 (with the few exceptions mentioned above).

4) A genwunner feels that they are entitled to place value on Pokemon media that's not from Gen 1. In other words, rather than saying they don't like something, they will say that that something is "bad", "lame", or "stupid". It's important because not liking or having interest in something is much different than placing a value on something; the former only affects you, the latter impacts others.

Overall, a genwunner isn't just someone who only likes Gen 1. There are plenty of people like that who are not genwunners. The key to a genwunner is that, not only do they only like Gen 1, but they insult the other generations and the people that like them.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2016
    I find it dumb that they dislike the other pokemon games and only like red and blue.
    Gamefreak did all they could to have even the ignorant genwunners to enjoy pokemon. They however ignored every attempt gamefreak made. Gen 2 allowed you to go back to kanto in silver and gold. In gen 3 they made a whole remake which was better in every way possible. In gen 4 they allowed you to go back to kanto AGAIN in Heart gold and Soul Silver. If anything it should be the gen 3 fans who should be complaining, on handheld Hoenn never saw a ds remake/release but every other region did. If gamefreak makes a new remake it should be done in Hoenn.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • I never play Gen I games anymore. They're too hard on my eyes, and the mechanics in them are awful. Not to mention how overrated a lot of the characters are... and yet they somehow win voting contests all the time just because they're Gen I.

It irritates me that they think the first was the best and they don't have any arguments for it. In fact, if you look at all 22 of my battling Pokemon in X... only one - ONE - is Gen 1. Two if you count the Ditto.

Gen I may have the most nostalgia, but it's the weakest generation overall. The movepools suck (no Shadow Ball), there isn't much diversity of Pokemon, the game is extremely glitchy and that can make it hard to play at times... it's all very dated.

The "cure" to the Genwunners? Grow up and admit it. I do.

Tek

Years
  • I used to be a Gewunner... Then I tried gen III games and I loved them! Same with gen V.

A lot of gamers in their late teens and early twenties that played the original Pokémon games feel like they've "outgrown" the series and will look at the newer generations with condescension...as if even giving them a chance will make you less of a gamer.

Good observation! It makes sense that if a person defines and identifies themselves as an 'old school' or 'purist' that even a glance at the other side of the fence is unacceptable.

This is thread is literally a waste of time. The fact that GameFreak is known to make some REALLY stupid Pokemon is a known fact, whether you want to blindly accept them all as perfect, than you are really not getting the point.

Generation One isn't to blame if the young ones don't see how lame a "Trubish" is.

Wow that's really spiteful... And the OP specifically said no hating, dude. Besides that, it's your OPINION whether a pokemon is stupid or not. It's not a fact. I think goth girls are hot, does that make their hotness a fact of life? Of course not.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2021
    I will admit that I'm a "genwunner". But that is only because I never played the later games or watched the Anime past the season 2.

I'm not sure why I stopped watching it or playing it, I've started watching it again and I'm loving it (just got to orange islands in the Anime).

My cousin has been telling me I need to watch the later seasons and play the games for a very long time.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019
    What are people who only like Gen III and earlier called? There are plenty of kids at school who refuse to play anything beyond the GBA games. Genthree-ers? lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back