• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen How to trade from 2nd gen to 3rd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSnilloc

Theorist Extraordinaire
Years
  • Does anyone happen to know how to trade from 2nd gen pokemon games (gold, silver, crystal... as in not the remakes), to the 3rd generation games?

I keep reading online how everyone thinks "oh, it's impossible", but I remember some kids doing it when I was younger, but I can't remember exactly how they did it... I think it was something about their link cable or something...

Years
    • IL
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    but I remember some kids doing it when I was younger, but I can't remember exactly how they did it...

I don't know what black magic those kids might have been using, but it is impossible to trade between 2nd and 3rd gen.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    You might have seen it wrong and both of the consoles had 2nd/3rd Generation Games in, because that's impossible.

JustSnilloc

Theorist Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Nope, it was legit... And it is indeed completely possible, I watched them trade their Mewtwo they had to Ruby version

like I said, IIRC it was something about their link cable... I can't say for sure what versions of GameBoy they used at this point, but I promise it's possible, I just don't remember how they did it

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Your memory is deceiving you. It is impossible, not only because of hardware, but because in gen III, the IV and EV systems were revamped and natures were added. So many things were changed that even if the hardware were capable of trading between gen II and III, or even I and III, the in-game changes would have made it impossible. I don't know what you witnessed when you were younger, but I can't really believe that till I see it. Even I have memories of things that can't happen in the game, such as how I thought I saw Mewtwo roaming Pokemon Mansion in Red. It doesn't do that.

Reopened since this is more of a complex question and could amount to discussion.

Last edited:

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    But, really it does kind of suck that you can't do it.

But, at least you can get Mewtwo in Gen I... What a threat that was to EVERYBODY.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    It is impossible, but I feel it is going to be literally impossible to get him to understand the message.

(And seriously, you don't ask a question if you're not willing to accept the answer.)

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • The first thread I ever made on this forum was asking this same question, except I was just asking out of curiosity.

But yeah, it's impossible, and like Pingouin said, you may as well accept that as the answer. There's no way you saw someone trade from GSC to RSE or FRLG because it is absolutely impossible.

Polizard'12

Pokemon Trader
    Years
  • Is it even impossible to extract the Pokemon files from the cartridge to move them to a generation 3 one?

I don't think so, how can their nature's and IV's be set then? The reason why the 1st and 2nd Generations can't interact with the 3rd is because of the changes in mechanics, as said before.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    I'm pretty sure you probably saw them trade the Mewtwo from FR/LG.
    Mewtwo isn't catchable in G/S/C (unless traded). And 2nd to 3rd gen swaps were never EVER implemented as much as we all wish they were.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure you probably saw them trade the Mewtwo from FR/LG.
    Mewtwo isn't catchable in G/S/C (unless traded). And 2nd to 3rd gen swaps were never EVER implemented as much as we all wish they were.
    Totally agree with this. Imagine how awesome it would be to battle with your Pokemon from RBY that you trained when you were 6 or 7 on BW/B2W2 14/15 years later.

Pinta77

I was playing Crystal version when everyone upgraded to R/S and FR/LG, and even Emerald. I loved that game! When I finally upgraded, I was so mad that I couldn't trade my Pokemon from crystal to Sapphire.

But basically, it is very impossible to trade from 2nd to 3rd generation. :(

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't think so, how can their nature's and IV's be set then? The reason why the 1st and 2nd Generations can't interact with the 3rd is because of the changes in mechanics, as said before.

Yeah exactly. It's not like going from Ruby to White or something. In the second generation, there were 5 IVs: Attack, Defense, Speed, Special, and HP, and they ranged from 0 to 15. In Generation 3 and above there are 6 IVs that go from 0 to 31: Attack, Defense, Speed, Special Attack, Special Defense, and HP.

If one were to try to recreate a Pokemon from their R/B/Y game, they would have to split Special into attack/defense (probably just keep it the same for each), and then convert the ratio of IV/16 to a 32-point scale. However, even doing that, the Pokemon would never play the same in the new games as they did in the old ones.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Yeah exactly. It's not like going from Ruby to White or something. In the second generation, there were 5 IVs: Attack, Defense, Speed, Special, and HP, and they ranged from 0 to 15. In Generation 3 and above there are 6 IVs that go from 0 to 31: Attack, Defense, Speed, Special Attack, Special Defense, and HP.

If one were to try to recreate a Pokemon from their R/B/Y game, they would have to split Special into attack/defense (probably just keep it the same for each), and then convert the ratio of IV/16 to a 32-point scale. However, even doing that, the Pokemon would never play the same in the new games as they did in the old ones.
    Gen II had the Special Attack/Special Defense split since I remember the transition when trading from RBY to GSC in Pokemon Stadium 2. All the different natures and abilities are what make it impossible, I think.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Totally agree with this. Imagine how awesome it would be to battle with your Pokemon from RBY that you trained when you were 6 or 7 on BW/B2W2 14/15 years later.

Let's be fair. If it was possible, we'd all have high IV'd Friendly fully trusting use Lvl 100 Charizards and Venusaurs on our teams. ._.

Imagine the Wi-Fi battles...

shadexpwn

Shadexpwn
    Years
  • The only way to really "transfer" so to speak is to replicate the in game pokemon you like and find them in the next generation.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2012
    Like many others have stated this isn't possible. It is essentially the reason Fire Red and Leaf Green were made so players could obtain the older Kanto/Johto Pokemon and complete there national dex. The Pokemon apparently had different id numbers which changed because the added Pokemon in gen 3 and not to mention there is no connectivity/compatibility between GBC and GBA. Even though they had the link cable which featured both wires they had no functionality when connected with each other.

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2021
    There for a little bit, when 3rd gen first came out, They had it so you could trade them through what I can only imagine to be the biggest pain in the ass of a machine ever. They only had them out for the first year (At least at my toys R us), And they made you pay 5 dollars to do so. I've seen the machines on sale, actually, but there's very few.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back