• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How useful did your starter choices end up to be?

Years
  • primarina was like the only thing on my squad bulky enough to take a hit (not including skarm whose only strength was taking hits) and could deal really strong hits in return, so yeah it was really useful and a huge reason i beat every important story battle the first time through

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
    Years
  • Rowlet ended up being better than I expected. He wasn't my MVP, but he pulled his weight very nicely! Litten was okay, but became a lot better when it evolved into Torracat. I'm not too crazy about Popplio, but it is useful as a Primarina.

Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2018
    Rowlet turned out to be a pretty good choice for me. I was pretty much solo running it with just a Rowlet for a majority of the game actually haha. I ended up really liking how its final evolution looked. Spirit Shackle is a pretty cool move.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2017
    Rowlets line myself. Basically him and Greninja was steam rolling everything throughout the game and was enough to get through everything until the very end. I still use them now.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I'd chose Litten and it went beyond my expectations! I was not planning to have Incineroar on my team, but it stuck around and was a great asset on my team :)

I'm currently using Popplio on my Moon copy and it's doing very well! I think all of the starters are very helpful & balanced. GF did a great job on balancing out the starters of this generation imo, allowing players to chose their favorite and not struggle that and to still have it on their team.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • I chose Litten and was really surprised when he turned out to actually be a good team member. I guess I'm so used to the fire starter being the weak link that I didn't have high expectations to start with.

rawcomrade91

Check out my reviews at SwitchJoy.net
    Years
  • Incineroar ended up pretty much meeting my expectations, although I was hoping he could take more of a hit than he really does.

I'm also kinda disappointed—not with the power, but of what Incineroar's Z-Move does. I guess it explains his fire belt, but...not sure how Darkest Lariat turns into a wrestling move. :P

Not to mention the move Darkest Lariat isn't even a lariat. :P

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
  • I had my wrestler cat in my team for the entire main story but I only used him a handful of times since the other pokemon I had just felt more reliable. Every time I sent wrestler cat out, it just felt like I was doing so for the sake of it.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Popplio pulled its weight for a good portion of the game, despite Moonblast coming horribly late. While it was forced to keep Water Gun well after being received, gaining Water Pledge, and later Scald, helped in the long run.

Venitardus

Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2018
    Rowlet was a big part of my team. He was cent out almost every other battle, if not every couple of battles. Glad to have him on my team.

Years
  • Decidueye was one of my strongest Pokemon. Actually at this moment I'm trying to breed a Rowlet with Baton Pass so I can build a defensive set for him. It has great potencial thanks to Spirit Shackle.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • With a great signature move in Spirit Shackle, and some great offense overall, Decidueye was a great member to my team. No regrets, except he's not competitive.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    Primarina is my go-to Pokemon in this generation, the majority of my success in the game is thanks to her. I always loved Popplio since its reveal, I'm delighted that Primarina has become a sort of Charizard figure for me in Sun/Moon.

Years
  • My Decidueye has definitely been one to help me power through battles at times, even if I wasn't using him as much near the end (just weren't places I needed either of his types). Not a pokemon I felt I could replace easily on my team as I went through. I'd say he met expectations for certain.

Years
  • Primarina is my go-to Pokemon in this generation, the majority of my success in the game is thanks to her. I always loved Popplio since its reveal, I'm delighted that Primarina has become a sort of Charizard figure for me in Sun/Moon.

For some reason I feel Decidueye will be the Alola starter that gets the Charizard/Greninja-like popularity, but Primarina feels like it will definitely earn a spot in many "fave majestic Pokemon" lists for sure.

Owlet

Look for hope, it's searching for you.
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 12, 2017
    I did enjoy using Rowlet, it was a fairly dependable one to go to in most battles. Still, I found that by the time it was Decidueye, Lurantis and Mimikyu were working better for me in terms of Grass and Ghost. I ended up boxing Decidueye in favour of those two.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Primarina was a beast and I never considered any other Water types, honestly. I did end up with another Fairy (Ribombee) but it wasn't planned by any means. They're capable of different things anyway, so it wasn't like they were too similar where I needed to choose between one or the other thankfully.

I was really afraid of Popplio being like Oshawott where I really liked the design, but the final evolution didn't go anywhere and was overall boring. Here, that didn't happen, and I'm so very grateful.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Decidueyes has False Swipe so yeah it is pretty usefull for the Dex completion and sos battles!

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • Decidueye was my starter and is still a part of my team (I haven't finished yet, on the third island).

I've received the other two starters via Wonder Trade so I'm planning on adding them in and using them as well, Litten has replaced my Salazzle and Primarina has taken over from Slowbro.
    So far Decidueye has held his own amazingly, and Primarina is going pretty well. Litten is level 1 so can't really say :P

Back