• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How useful did your starter choices end up to be?

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    For some reason I feel Decidueye will be the Alola starter that gets the Charizard/Greninja-like popularity, but Primarina feels like it will definitely earn a spot in many "fave majestic Pokemon" lists for sure.

Yer I get what you mean, Team Rowlett seems to still be going strong. What I was referring to was that Charizard was pretty much my entire team as a kid playing Red, and Primarina (albeit to a lesser extent) fulfilled a similar role when playing Moon. :D

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2020
    I adore Rowlet because of Decidueye being the game's first Ghost type starter Pokemon. I've always wanted a Ghost type starter Pokemon for many years now so I was super excited for the opportunity to have one. 5/6 of my pokemon during the story end up being Ghost types and then after I beat the Pokemon League I end up getting rid of my starter pokemon for it not being a Ghost type so the thought of me actually being able to keep my starter Pokemon for once makes me overjoyed. (Thanks GameFreak!!)

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • My decidueye stats weren't that great very easy to take out yet it won a lot of important battles so I'll feel bad putting it in a box

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Primarina with its Spirit Bomb Z-Move is busted. I used Decidueye too, for my first playthrough, but it was lacklustre. Primarina's been doing a lot, and I mean a LOT better, than Decidueye. Also helps that when I got it, it was female :)

Yoni Arousement

PKHeX User
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I started with Litten, and didn't like the fact that it loses base speed when it fully evolves, but it seemed kinda bulky for a fully evolved fire-type starter. Primarina's probably my favorite of their fully evolved forms. I didn't find Decidueye all that useful later in the game. It's hard to tell which starter has the best type coverage in-game.

Speaking of Darkest Lariat, when I think of a lariat, I think of a spinning attack that goes through projectiles.

CurtisS2013

"Nothing is worth doing, unless you give your best
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    Absolutely loved my lil Rowlet...Who was a little beast once fully evolved... However, once I could get/got Dhlemise; there was no looking back for me.
    Lil Rowlet got replaced with Dhlemise. His ability to STAB with not two but three types was far to good for me to pass up. Made wrecking Fairy types a piece of cake.

FloofyIncineroar

The fluffiest giant kitty.
    Years
  • My Incineroar was actually the MVP of my team. Yeah, my other Pokemon were all good. Pikkers the Toucannon came in whenever there was a problem Pokemon like a Fighting-type, Bug-type, or Rock-type, and she was always brought in on Sand Attackers, Pollute the Alola Muk helped stall out the Totem Wishiwashi with Poison status and Disable when she was a Grimer and was an epic tank, Tele the Alakazam also dealt with trouble Pokemon even if he was a bit fragile, Isabelle the Wishiwashi was another tank especially with her high defenses and attacks, and Nebby the Lunala was my saving grace against Olivia in the E4. But Cena the Incineroar swept almost everything, especially once he evolved and learned Darkest Lariat. He started struggling slightly once I caught Nebby, but that was because by then I had stopped grinding, and the E4 had some pretty advanced AI anyways. Along with everyone else (except when I switch out Nebby for my Smeargle for Shiny Hunting), he earned a permanent spot in my offline team even in the post-game.

TheGhostlyOwl

Sinister Arrow Raid
    Years
  • I really love Rowlet! I have always taken the Grass starter but it leaned towards Litten at first but I choose Rowlet! Decidueye has a awesome design and what I have noticed compared to the other two (when talking to my friends who picked the other two). I didn't like Dartrix design but hey, it's the awkward teen phase of evolutions! Also I love Sinister Arrow Raid, It's very powerful and cool!

Years
  • My Popplio started off weak and cute But eventually evolved into a
    Primarina which helped me out In a number of battles
    Though his defense wasn't something to write home about and could easily lose a great amount of health or get knocked out if hit by a strong physical attack

Even though he was a great edition to my team i used other Pokemon in my team more
    Since they could handle a bit more physical damage than my Primarina

Althrough there was some moments that he Shone like a bright light For example when i was fightning
    Spoiler:

I had all of my pokemon knocked out We both had one pokemon left with both little health left And Primarina hit the Oppnent pokemon with a final strike and i won.

Years
  • Litten lasted till about level 31 then I got rid of it. lol. I ended up finding a Growlith and then trained it up to an Arcanine to replace it, because dogs.​

Back