• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] How viable to use decomp + CFRU side by side? With decomp source easy to build and CFRU having a huge feature set

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Newcomer to romhacking here.
    I have experience with GBA homebrew programming.

I was wondering:
    How viable to use decomp + CFRU side by side? With decomp source easy to build and CFRU having a huge feature set, it seems like we could get the best of both worlds by combining them.

So I have a build setup where I'm using the decomp source tree to build the FireRed 1.0 base ROM, and then applying DPE + CFRU patches to the ROM.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with using this hybrid method:
    - edit the decomp source tree, make various modifications there, then go to patch in CFRU and get all those sweet extra features

Is this even viable for larger projects? How dependent is CFRU on specific offsets within the base ROM? When modifying the decomp tree inserting code etc, that would change some of the offsets. Should I expect this to end up breaking CFRU + DPE? Or is this actually doable?

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    You should never, ever patch anything onto a decomp rom unless it is completely unaltered. The data would be shifted otherwise and a patch would therefore corrupt everything.

The only way to make these two projects work together is to manually port the C code from CFRU over to pokefirered. It's not exactly a drag-n-drop situation though. Some users such as Lunos have ported features from CFRU already. Other than this, the two projects are completely incompatible as CFRU is a binary resource and binary resources 100% don't work in decomp projects.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2023
    It wouldnt be easier to port decomp stuff in binary?
    I mean, in case of FireRed for instance, we can use the file BPRE.ld for all the addresses and keep working in C. Its viable?

Years
  • If anything, you'd be better off contributing to the currently ever-expanding expansions to the decomps. Given the ease of working with them from the beginning, and that more experienced hackers are moving on into programming in them, you'd get a bit of a better start working straight from it. People are already looking between the CFRU and decomps and porting ideas between them.

If it's your first time hacking and you have even a limited amount of code skill, you have literally no reason not to start off pokeemerald/pokefirered.

Mahian23

Behold my Supreme Power!
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Yes you can easily do it.And there is only one successful result.
    The Rom Corrupted Successfully!

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Well if you want to do it, you'll have to port the cfru code to decompilation

Back