• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen How Well Do You Know The English Names?

iTeruri

iAm
Years
  • I didn't know much about the game before playing. I hadn't seen the Pokémon, the cities, the characters, etc. So the only way to 'learn' the new Pokémon was by playing the game. I know most names of the Pokémon I've encounterd so far. Most names aren't very hard to remember.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I think I know the majority of them at this point, I had all the Japanese names down and still occasionally think of them by those instead of the English ones. The monkeys and Darmanitan are particularly common offenders in that respect, the name Hihidaruma is just so cool... not to say I dislike the translations.

I should point out this only really refers to the Pokemon and not necessarily the human characters or the cities. I just cannot remember the cities for the life of me, I just remember them by leader and where they are on the map.

MiniM00se

Toad in a stroller
    Years
  • The only English ones I know are Oshawott, Snivy and Tepig. But the only Japanese ones I know are Mijumaru and Kurumiri. And I'm not sure if I even got those right. xD

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I never bothered to memorize all of the Japanese names for this generation, and the English ones sound more natural to me than the Japanese ones I did learn, so I'm not having a problem learning the English names.

I never really make a conscious effort to learn the English names. It just sort of happens. I'd say I could identify the majority of the names by now with their respective Pokemon, and if I actually try to learn the rest (rather than the just picking them up as I stumble across them on forums in the last few days before the games are released), I figure I I'll be able to identify the names with the Pokemon, their types, their evolutionary chains, their general locations (maybe not precisely, but approximately when in the game I can first get them), and their strong/weak stats and moves within a good half-hour of studying or so. I'll probably just pick them up more gradually, though, as I don't have an urge to sit down and "study" the Pokemon list, especially when I should be learning things for my classes instead.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Not very well actually. I'm more accustomed to the Japanese names than I am with the English names at the moment. I can probably list a few of the English names that I'm familiar with, like the starters for example, but for more than half of them I honestly wouldn't know (at least not yet anyway).

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I know very very few. Pretty much the first-stage starters and Oshawott's entire line. Then there are a few, like Cubchoo, that I know from looking them up on Bulbapedia. Other than that, it's either Japanese names or my own nicknames for the Pokemon. (Like Woobat [Koromori] is known as "Batfloof" to me. Always.)

I'll learn the English names once I become exposed to them as much as the Japanese ones. B/W were the first Pokemon games I followed since the beginning, so in order to discuss anything, I had to know the Japanese names. So after the several months, the Japanese names are more ingrained in my mind than the English ones that were just released. The reasons why I'll switch to the English names after I learn them is because I'll remember them better and to make it easier when talking to other people who know the English names after a while.

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2011
    I only know a few of the english names so far. I will be practicing to remember them once i get the game.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2022
    I know very few of them right now...but that doesn't bother me. I will learn them with time.

Back