• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How well do you speak Japanese?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hikari318

Eevee Breeder
    Years
    I don't.

Well I'd like to a lot. I had a chance to buy a little english-to-japanese booklet thing, but my mom said, "You won't actually read it, it'll sit on your shelf just like that French book I got you." French is also cool. Parle vou Fransay? (I can't type the little ` above the letters. XD)
    It's "Parlez-vous français?", lol

Nekoron > if you were somehow stuck in Japan, you'll be able to survive, even if you don't speak a word. Why? Because you would have no alternative but to learn it, and it will come fast. It did for me. I was "stucked" there for 11 months, and now I can speak of anything with anyone (well, I'm of course never alone : my forever faithful electronic dictionnary doesn't leave my bag). And understand manga and anime without it.

Tamaki

☆ Puh puh puh poker face ☆
    Years
    im pretty good...
    person 1: konnichi wa! hajimema****e to genki desu ka?
    person 2: hai, arigato gozaimasu. anata ka?
    person 1: hai, arigato.
    person 2: a yo! ichi desu yo! sayonara.
    person 1: sayonara

...eh? it bleeps part out though cuz it looks like a swear word

Shiun Enshidia

The Demon Nicknamer
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2020
    Very badly
    The only real Japanese I know is anime opening/ending songs and I don't sing those very well ^^. Admittably I can remember most of them and sing them resembling the words but I very rarely get them right.

Tamaki

Years
    Don't say "anata", it's not polite ^^

uh? what are you trying to say there?

heh my bro taught me a little conversation stuff a loooooong time ago so i dont remember it too well >< i was trying to say oh! its one. see you later. because... a=oh and you add yo to something to show emotion. and then i wasnt sure how to say its one so i winged it... ichi= one, desu= is, and then yo. and anata isnt polite? i never knew that... so i should say... kimi?

~Dai-kun~

The black wind howls again...
    Years
    Yeah I'm trying to learn Japanese but I barely know it.
    I can say the numbers but not alot anything special.

Tamaki

Years
    heh all the words for you kinda confuse me... but it does make sense that there are polite and impolite words

Hikari318

Eevee Breeder
    Years
    The word in itself is not unpolite, it's reffering to the person you're talking to at the 2nd person that is. You don't say "you", you say the person's name instead, because saying "you" to someone is considered kind of aggressive. Well, unless you're older than/the boss of/the wife of/etc the person you're talking to.
    So it would look like :
    person 1: Konnichi wa! (Hajimema****e, watashi no namae wa [your name] desu.) O-genki desu ka?
    person 2: Hai, arigatou gozaimasu. [name of the person]-san wa o-genki desu ka?
    person 1: Hai, genki desu.
    person 2: A! Mou ichi ji desu yo! Sayonara.
    person 1: Sayonara.
    (they could say "Soredewa mata", "see you later" instead of "sayonara")

Years
    To answer your question, I had like 3 or 4 Japanese lessons in school and learnt some of the basic stuff like writing 'My name is Jamie', how to say hello, goodbye etc.

Just the basics really.

Tamaki

Years
    The word in itself is not unpolite, it's reffering to the person you're talking to at the 2nd person that is. You don't say "you", you say the person's name instead, because saying "you" to someone is considered kind of aggressive. Well, unless you're older than/the boss of/the wife of/etc the person you're talking to.
    So it would look like :
    person 1: Konnichi wa! (Hajimema****e, watashi no namae wa [your name] desu.) O-genki desu ka?
    person 2: Hai, arigatou gozaimasu. [name of the person]-san wa o-genki desu ka?
    person 1: Hai, genki desu.
    person 2: A! Mou ichi ji desu yo! Sayonara.
    person 1: Sayonara.
    (they could say "Soredewa mata", "see you later" instead of "sayonara")

mine was sort of a older to younger thing... friends sorta who are casual. i havent read my books in forever but i remember a few things

Hikari318

Eevee Breeder
    Years
    If it's friendly casual, then don't use the polite forms (like desu, gozaimasu etc) ^^
    Yes, I know, that's really irritating. I keep mixing polite and casual form too when I speak, but I try not to... that's hard...

Hikari318

Eevee Breeder
    Years
    Well, actually, the kanji for 空 sora (sky) is said "kuu" when combined with other kanji to make a word... ex : 空港 kuukou (airport), so I guess he's not entirely wrong ^^

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back