• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen How will 2 more ATKs will affect your gameplay?

Years
  • Watching a beta gameplay of X & Y, I saw the player start a pokemon battle and choose to fight.
    Then I noticed how big the lower screen, the one you choose which action to take, and remembered all the old pokemon games I played, especially those I played with my Gamboy Color and it made me think.
    The idea of X & Y is to provide us a new and improve gameplay experience, a step closer to the series that got us to play this game from the start. The new gaming console 3DS/XL (not so new, but still...) has two fairly big screens that allow us to cover more of the game and still have enough place for more... Now, although I'm sure we are still confined to 4 attacks, adding a few more to the selection window, I believe, won't harm anything of the game. My question for you is how do you think it will affect anything from the gameplay you're used to, to your idea in general of how it will be having pokemon battles in real life?

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
    Years
  • I really dont understand what your getting at..

Are you saying how would it effect the game have 6 attacks instead of 4?

if so, its not going to happen atleast in this generation so im not even going to bother thinking about it. lol.

Name

Moémon Master
    Years
  • Boy my special sweeper with 6 weakness exploiting attacks....
    That'd be delicious.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • I think it could be expanded to 5 moves but that fifth move has to be a status move of some sort. That way over powered pokes dont become impossible to beat

pokerex

I'm awesome
    Years
  • I think it could be expanded to 5 moves but that fifth move has to be a status move of some sort.

That would have no effect at all. you'd just use that slot for a status move that you where arleady going to use. and just put an extra attacking move in one of the other four.

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    First of all it's already confirmed there will only be 4 moves per Pokemon like always, and I hope it stays this way forever.

Adding more is unnecessary and would ruin the balance of the game, especially competitively. Sorry but it's just a really stupid idea.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Four moves is already enough... In a few of my Pokémon the 4th move is already some sort of filler which I almost never use.

Imagine Salamence with six moves, though... Nothing can switch into it. Outrage, Earthquake, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Hydro Pump, and whatever else it has (Salamence is not my specialty, sorry)...

Steelix8

The Undertaker
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2014
    Any more than four attacks would completely destabilize the balance of the game. I doubt it will ever happen.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    I honestly can't imagine that working at all for the game. The most it'll affect, at least the PvE portion of it, is it'd make it a lot easier. Competitive battling though would suck.

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
  • I'm glad this got back up to the top, cause I came up with a thought last night...
    What about, like, one or two Inactive or Extra attacks. You have more than the main 4, but you can only use the first 4 in battle. Requiring you to swap a move out with the extra(s) before you can use them.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I'm glad this got back up to the top, cause I came up with a thought last night...
    What about, like, one or two Inactive or Extra attacks. You have more than the main 4, but you can only use the first 4 in battle. Requiring you to swap a move out with the extra(s) before you can use them.
    While it would be pretty cool, I don't think it'll ever happen.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I'm glad this got back up to the top, cause I came up with a thought last night...
    You know that could add more strategy into battles, deciding which moves one can use before the actual battle, and which ones they won't.

DamienHelvian

Years
  • You know that could add more strategy into battles, deciding which moves one can use before the actual battle, and which ones they won't.

It would also be more helpful HM wise, as most HMs are crap in battle unless they have type advantage. It would be more time consuming, because the move would have to be in an Active slot to be used even outside of battle... (to make it fair)

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    It would also be more helpful HM wise, as most HMs are crap in battle unless they have type advantage. It would be more time consuming, because the move would have to be in an Active slot to be used even outside of battle... (to make it fair)

^This^ +2^quintillion

It'd actually be cool to have 4 battle moves, and then 2 inactive slots to switch other moves in and out at your own convenience. It's a lot less of a hassle than using a move deleter or recaller all the time.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Having six moves instead of four should make battling more hard and unpredictable, but it would also take us a long time to get used to this change. I wouldn't actually mind it, but I'm sure many people will. Especially the competitive players, since it will require them to change their movesets, rethink their strategies, and so on. d:

DamienHelvian

Years
  • lol six moves.

As if 'mons didn't have enough coverage with four moves as it is, already. DDMence/ScarfMence @ Dragon Dance/Fire Blast/EQ/Iron Tail(for fairies, assuming they are weak to steel)/Dragon Claw/filler with moxie and you have a huge problem on your hands.

If this generation goes even further with the power creep (which seems inevitable in my opinion, but I can be wrong here!), then it would be unwise to give pokes more than four moves, as it would make some other pokemon more powerful than they are currently, to the point of being broken. ~_~

Except for the part where I said inactive moves, not swappable in battle, and with a very good rule of, not swappable once you enter the Elite 4/Champion area. So you can only use the first 4 moves, meaning, not a powerhouse. The only point of the extra two moves is because of versatility... There are a lot of people, including me, who delete HM moves, and replace them using a relearner, or a TM for a period of time, before going back to put the HM there when I don't need it anymore. I did that a few times with my Lucario. Especially since there are situations, you don't expect, needing a move you never thought was important, (Like the one-time spot where you needed Rock Smash in B2/W2, but needed it absolutely nowhere else)

DamienHelvian

Years
  • Whoops, I missed that. ^^; If it's inactive in that case, and the remaining two moves that are inactive can't be used in battle, then I wouldn't mind if something like this was introduced. It would be nice though, if you could still use HMs, even if they're in the "inactive" spot, unless that's basically what you just said. xD;

HM moves would have to be swapped into an active spot before you can use them out of battle. It's tedious, but it'd work fairly well, I'm sure. It makes you have to think, cause if you forget that you swapped in an HM, that could put you at a disadvantage in some cases~

Back