• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How will you do your first Sun/Moon playthrough?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm going to play the same way that I always play a new Pokemon game: take my time. I'm going to use whatever Pokemon I want to try, no matter how "good" they are. I'll check out every corner that I can, and see what I can discover.

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2017
    I talk to everyone and check everywhere, so I don't miss anything.

After about 5 runs through the game, I tend to just talk to the NPCs who give items and check spots I know have hidden items, because by then I know where everything is. ^^

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah I'm normally in a rush too... because I can't wait to find out everything. Buuuttt... because I regret it soon after I think I might try and take it slowly this generation. I will attempt to catch every new Pokémon though so that'll slow me down a bit.

Years
  • I'm going in as blind as I possibly can. The feeling of finding random new Pokemon that I didn't know about in XY, like Pumpkaboo or Klefki, was amazing and I want to recreate that feeling as much as possible. I'm also going to make a rule of only using Alola Pokemon on my first playthrough. Hopefully I can even keep myself from finding out about Popplio's evolutions and have its secondary type or lack of one be a surprise to me, since I'm definitely going to be Team Popplio

Years
  • I always play the games as either two characters. Myself, if I were in the Pokemon world, or my OC, Ameji.

When I play as myself, I'm super excited and try to be a true Pokemon master by catching everything and filling out the Pokedex. When I play as Ameji, I'm more focused on battling/training and fighting gyms.

One of them will win out for my first playthough, I won't know who until I have the game in my hands.

ZangooseClaw

Pokemon Philosopher
    Years
  • I have always been of fan of perusing the strategy guide before & while playing the game to make sure I get into every nook & cranny. Since I'll be getting both versions and should have more time to enjoy both so the first playthrough might be completely *gulp* blind!

Starting with Sun & Popplio, focusing on creating new generation team and appreciating the storyline. Then it'll be Moon, which sounds more mysterious, and Litten to help brighten the night while studying the eventual strategy guide book extensively to really round out knowledge of the area.

I decided against the popular Rowlet because each new generation has an easy double-evolution flying-type, like Pidgey or Starly that I enjoy training as a sidekick to the starter. Plus water-types always seem to be the safest bet and my overall favorites.

We'll see how this all pans out in the coming months though!

Bay

Years
  • Like some others here, I tend to take my time with the games and I assume it'll be the same here. I like to talk to almost all the NPCs and get as many items as I can, though. With Pokemon teamsg there are some I'll already plan to use while others I might just pick up on the way.

Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2017
    I always play through the first time pretty casual. So maybe this time I'll go a hit more hardcore. I know one thing for certain: I will choose Litten, and it will be amazing!

Years
  • I've been going into the last few games semi-blind, and I think I'm going to do the same with these.

By semi-blind, I mean I'll start avoiding spoilers about a month or two prior to release, though I might break that if there's a certain Pokemon I know of that I'd like to have in my party (did this with Litleo in Y- looked up where you could find it, but then avoided everything else). From there, I like to do a lot of exploring and play the game casually. It'll probably take me a few months to finish the game, since I like stretching it out, rather than rushing through the game just to say that I did.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • I just play it as is, I go by the flow in the way I want to do in the moment. But usually, I play casually and just hit all the obvious spots then go back and explore every nook and cranny in post-game (to make post-game more instructing lol). I do all my breeding/competitive/trading stuff in post-game when I'd transferred my Pokémon from my old game.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I just play casually.
    I usually end the main storyline within like 72-80 hours. Dunno if that's typical or not cause I see people finishing within like 32 hours

That's pretty normal for me since I really enjoy the games before the whole post-game content and I'm sure that there's a hundred billion people who'd do the same. Like i mentioned before, it took me a while to get to that Delta Episode in AS since i genuinely just wanted to explore and explore.

Continuing on what i mentioned previously, I'd do my first playthrough to the fullest that i can, which means that I'll play Sun or Moon as i would normally do, such as form a team of mons that I like, I'd consider the natures and EVs so that I would have a Battle Maison/Tower/PWT viable team for farming Battle points, do loads of explorations, and try memorizing the map and layouts as I can so that when I do the monotype challenges on my other copy, I know exactly what to do such as what monsters I can catch depending on my chosen monotype.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
  • I'm definitely going to do things differently than what I normally have since Gen 4. First off, I'm going to complete my Pokedex the best I can, minus obtaining the opposite version-exclusives. I'm also going to use the elemental/animal types instead for my core team. For teaching certain moves, I'm going to exclude Dark and Ghost-type moves to make it more of a challenge when I face off against Psychic and Ghost-type opponents.

tl;dr I'm going back to my Emerald and Colosseum days in terms of strategy. :3

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
    Years
  • Probably just how I played through Y.

Talk to everyone, do all sidequests and only add mons to my team from this generation.

I'd like to say "not rushing it", but every time when a new pokemon game comes out I complete the story within a day or three D;

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • I play pretty slowly compared to others so I let myself rush in the new games cause they still wont be beat in only a few days if Im rushing. :'D Talk to every npc, search every nook and cranny, ignore/avoid the spoilers but if I happen to see a cute Alola Pokemon well maybe I can add it to the roster.... XD Im gunna try to only use Alola/Gen 7 Pokemon but I do hope there's a new Eeveelution, and I do know I use a lot of older Pokemon too(my Y team had 3 Kanto and 3 Kalos Pokemon) but hopefully this time my team will be awesome too. Idk if I wanna catch a shiny to use in those games since last time I did that it took a few months so maybe not unless I wanted to use my Skitty Kokoro.

Back