• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How would Special Defense be in real life?!

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    I know it may seem ridiculous but we all know that in real life special attacks wouldn't exist.So special defense wouldn't be the ability to endure them.Attack is how hard and strong a pokemon can hit.Defense is how many physical blows a pokemon can take and not die :p ..But what would special defense be like.And special attack..How about those two?!
    And what exactly is HP? Like l mean,how can blissey have such high HP? How much HP would a human have in Pokemon World?!(the average human)..

Drimza

Open up your senses.
    Years
  • Well Special Defense could be a resistance to things we can feel but cannot acutally see, for example wind, cold, heat stuff like that. The higher Special Defense you have the less you would feel these things. Special Attack would be the heat and cold except they would sorta be like fire and ice, and since these are physical things you would need both Defense and Special Defense to protect yourself from it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    wow thats a great point.i dont have such imagination..Now...What would special attack be?!

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Special Attack seems to be influenced by a number of things, but is mainly derived by mental capabilities, such as Mewtwo and Alakazam, along with some physical characteristics like the strength of muscles used to eject water in water types, and the energy storage capacity of electric types.

HP is likely derived by body mass and stamina, which explains why Wailord and Blissey have such high hp (though it doesn't seem to explain why Blissey has higher HP then Wailord), and seeing that humans can get pretty darn huge (1000+ pounds), I'd say a reasonable guess for their base HP would be anywhere around the 80-100ish range (similar to most humanoid Pokémon), though like Pokémon, life style will determine the final number.

Special Defense, as explained by the people above me, is seen as the resistance a particular Pokémon has to chemical, liquid, and psychological based attacks.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • To me, Special Defense is the ability to take energy-based moves, like Psychic, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Flamethrower.

Years
  • I see it more as a measure of the Pokemon's willpower to resist physiology based attacks(most Physic moves), and general resistance to the elements.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Special Attack is sort of an "everything else" category to compliment Attack, which deals with physical blows. So Special Defense would be sort of diverse and situational as well. There's a mental aspect to it, mostly dealing with Dark, Ghost and Psychic attacks, and there's a material aspect to it, dealing with hot and cold and electricity and lasers and general destructive application of non-solids.

Concise version: Sp. Def would be difficult to quantify in reality because of the diverse sources of Special Attacks. It could be marked up to strength of mind, or ability to endure extreme natural conditions like floods or being naked in the tundra.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    good but l think a human wouldn't have 80-100 base hp.not like a tyranitar! He would have 75 base hp at best.
    And l also don't think that HP has to do with body mass since blissey who is just 1.5m tall and 45kg has the greatest HP while things like Palkia,Wailord,Tangrowth,Tyranitar etc have lower hp.Also, a gastrodon has an HP of 426 and its only 0.9cm tall and 30kg while hippowdon who is 300kg and 2m tall has 420.Not a big difference but still an example.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Special attack is only easily defined by "Not Attack", lol. Anything that isn't a physical blow or causes the two Pokemon to make contact is a Special Attack, so by that logic even things like guns would be Special Attack in real life. And as far as humans and HP, yeah I would say it isn't the same as humanoid Pokemon, because humanoid Pokemon basically have gone through natural selection to be much stronger than regular humans, so humans would be hovering around 50-60 HP. But imo HP also has to do with the material that the Pokemon is made of; 1 kg of steel resists much better than 1 kg of feathers. I would imagine Blissey is made of a very rubbery material, which can absorb a lot of damage.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2014
    l think u r right.Like that episode where a massive tentacruel destroyed a city.That crazy woman shot it with a bazooka and the bullet didn't even scratch tenta's skin but instead it bounced back(and tentacruel has indeed great sp.def).So,blissey having rubbery skin which cannot be easily ripped,slashed or penetrated is a great idea.So in other words she would be immortal in real life if we consider her hp,sp.def and that even guns are a type of sp.att

But now that l am rethinking it l don't think the pokemon's body texture has anything to do with its HP.I think it has to do with defense or sp.defense.Like,blissey and tentacruel seem to have a rubbery skin which can't be easily burnt,ripped etc so they have high sp.def.Instead,skarmory or hippowdon seem to have harder,tougher bodies so they have greater defense.The matter about the HP remains a mystery though :p

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    The amount of HP a human has would be much less than the average lvl Pokemon. One blow from them could probs kill any human.

As for special attacks, I would say they would be anything attacking in a nonphysical manner. Things like the weather, or guns and so on. Our defence would be more of a will power if you ask me. Think of a diease. It attacks physically, but with out the will to fight back, the person will most likely die.

Back