• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How would you feel if...

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
  • For the next Generation both protagonists, or even the one of your gender, are black?

Personally, I'd like it but feel weird about it at the same time. It'll certainly be a big change from what normally was. I'd also be conscious that not many people will like it. And seeing as the future regions may now be based outside Japan, it's a possibility.

Discuss.

/lock if it's controversial or unneeded.

Cooker

As free as my hair
    Years
  • I supposed that would be neat- it'd be a nice change, anyway. Maybe you'd be able to pick your race, or at least skin color, like you pick your gender? That would solve a lot of controversy, since the people opposed to it wouldn't have to be black.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • I think making the protagonist choices be of one protagonist for each commonly known race, for each gender.
    It would certainly allow it to appeal more to a wider variety of players around the world.

mochilicious

the first little piggy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2016
    It's originally a Japanese game so I suppose they wouldn't change it, but I agree; if people could choose race as well, that be better.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I would love to be black you have no idea omg. You've got me excited now. I hope this happens. lmao

Gero50

闇の下呂
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Sep 10, 2011
    Personally, I not see a problem with it at all. It sounds interesting. Also to have a regain based of something other than Japan has me wondering too. At this point on that matter I have no opinion as of yet.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Seeing as Unova's not based on Japan, I would've thought they should introduce that then...still, I'm not being racist or anything, but I wouldn't really want to play as a black person, because I'm white. However, I think it would be cool to have a choice of protaganists - i.e. a few different ones for the major ethnicities.

Years
  • I could only see this happening if we were given the option to change our skin color. No, not changing your character's race entirely, just the skin color.

If Game Freak did decide to make the protagonist's have a darker skin tone, I honestly don't think many people would care, unless the characters looked real stereotypical. The worst possible outcome is that there would be way too many racial jokes erupting from this. I really hope we see some trainer customization in the future.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't see anything wrong with this, but I can't help but get a weird feeling each time I think about it.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I think it'd be nice if you could pick your race, as was previously mentioned. It'd add a more personal feel to the game.

... I kind of want to be a black woman now. :o That'd be cool~

Rayce

Nooo0000OOB
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    First off it would be unneededly complex, you'd feel like you are going to put in high weight and age next. The biggest problem with this is the fact that the pokemon characters focus the story so you can't change who they are to much. You just give them a name and a gender. However I would be happy to see some other racial characters in game

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • I really wouldn't care about it much, but I guess it would be a nice addition though. But if they do add that, they will also start adding other traits you want your character to have, like height, maybe you can choose if you want a backpack, etc.

Years
  • I'm all for racial diversity, but I just don't see it happening.
    They have too much to lose if they make a mistake,
    one misunderstood joke taken as a racist slur and Bam.
    Pokemon and Nintendo are racists, watch their sales sky-drop

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • Seeing as Unova was based on New York, they could have several options to allow for better characterization.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Thank you all for your honest answers, Syd xD. Customisable trainers would be the way to go or just the brown, tan, and pale skin tone option for the trainers would be good. That shouldn't be so hard as to full clothing customisation.

Years
  • I still think that we might get customisable characters in the future, but if we don't, I wouldn't mind playing as a black protagonist (or any other race for that matter). I'm just surprised that they haven't actually added in player customization already.

Back