• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How you got involved in playing/collecting Pokemon cards!

Years
  • This board needs more activity! Hoping to get some people talking with this thread :)

Basically, just share how you got into playing or collecting Pokemon cards, maybe share some experiences!

I'll start with this: I started collecting cards when I was a kid, (I'm 18 now) when they first came out and all that. I stopped after a year or two then, but just recently picked it back up a few months ago. (Pretty long time gap!) It's fun! I learned the TCG from a friend of mine, and am now an avid new collector, and a bit of a TCG fanatic :D

Share your story!

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I got into the Pokemon craze back in elementary school around the time Burger King was doing the Pokemon: The First Movie promotion. A friend of mine gave me a BK Butterfree card, then I started going to BK to get my own. It wasn't until the next year that I got my first actual Pokemon TCG card - a Jungle set Jigglypuff - at a school festival. It costed me over a dollar, but since I had no way of getting them otherwise at the time, I was fine with that. Next day I found another class selling Pokemon cards for $0.25 apiece, so I grabbed a Fossil set Kabuto, a Rocket set Oddish, and a couple others. It was the same year that I got my first Japanese Pokemon cards - Brock's Crobat, Erika's Exeggcute, Omanyte, and Eevee (this one basically being a parting gift from a friend I haven't seen in over 10 years). It was also around this time that I started buying cards on my own from Wal-Mart, Sears, etc. Also got the Mewtwo promo from Pokemon: The First Movie (VHS) and Ancient Mew from Pokemon: The Movie 2000.

My cousin tried to get me into playing when I was younger, but I didn't understand at all. He won some of my holographic Pokemon coins like this. It wasn't until later years, when I got in high school actually, that I learned how to play thanks to Pokemon: Play it! and Pokemon TCG GB. Got a few of my friends into it. Haven't played much at all recently. Last 3 games were probably with my mom. Her and that Wailord ex. XD

I haven't bought any cards since the LEGEND sets came out... Even though Johto is my favorite region...

Years
  • I read an article on them in Time For Kids magazine *wonders if they still print that* on them at school, and then went out and split a starter deck with a cousin of mine. I don't really remember how I kept interested, other than my parents just occasionally buying me more of them, until I started buying some with my own money and then got into Yu-Gi-Oh, which had my attention for a couple years before I got back into Pokemon. Been buying some every once in a while ever since.

dragonite149

I am not male
    Years
  • My friend gave me some cards from the early sets, then my friends got some new cards. I got some new cards, and traded with my friends. Then I got a deck. That Gallade 4 deck. I learnt how to play, got more cards, and here I am now, avid player and collector of Pokemon cards. I get a lot of Pokemon cards at 'teh' Carboot.

I got into Pokemon when I watched a video with Pokemon music.

Years
  • well i collect cards about 7 months, i realy like this "game" i spend about 15$ for month and i get sometimes really good cards

piecemeal

On An Adventure
    Years
  • I think I saw some somewhere and enjoyed the card art. Eventually my mind got to thinking and I snagged a few cards at Target for the heck of it. Pretty much instantly I was hooked! I get a lot of enjoyment out of collecting. I did finally learn to play but I haven't been very into it. I have a full life and I just can't do it all! So I have to prioritize. I've checked out the anime and the games as well, but just plain old collecting (and visiting PC) is where my joy comes from.

Cyndaquil

'lo.
    Years
  • Heh, this sure brings back memories...
    I must've been introduced to the game really early on, because I'm sure I had a Zap! theme deck. I got introduced to a league by a friend of mine and started to play there weekly, and I think I played until the beginning of the e-card era.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
  • I first got into Pokémon cards when they first came out back in...oh was it '99 or '00? Anyway, I was ten then, and I'm 21 now.

I collected them and traded them with friends, but I think it was in 2000 or 2001 when I joined a Pokémon Trading Card Game League at a Toys R Us that I first learned how to actually play them. It was amazing! I actually could play the game properly now! I still use my mats from the TCGL back then too! I first learned how to make decks there and I can remember teaching other people how to play. So fun!

Up until about 2 months ago maybe, I forgot about them. I always played the video games still, but forgot about the cards. I took them out, re-read how to play to familiarize myself with the game, and now my boyfriend and I play all the time! I've also started to collect them again! Such fun!

I also just ordered the Pokémon Trading Card Game for Game Boy Color too!!! I can't wait to get it and play it! So awesome!

Anyway, I love the game so much, so it's good to see other people still enjoying it!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • A long time ago, I was collecting Pokemon cards from booster packs just for the Pokemon themselves; I had no idea on how to play the game then. When I bought the original Pokemon TCG starter set (with a CD), and learned how to play, I got hooked, and started buying the theme decks of the actual game. Even though I don't play the game as much anymore, I still remember the rules.

♠Dawn Rayne♠

Best in the world at what I do
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    When they first came out, got a few from the kids at the bus stop... and never looked back :)

pmarckoue

CAN IT BE!?
    Years
  • I was about 7 or 8. I had the cards for a long time, but never really learned how to play until about 9 or 10 years later lol But by that time, I was able to drive myself to the local card shop and play in a league. I guess it was the pokemon craze, at grade school, that really got me into it though.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    I was 7-8. It was Pokemon.
    Therefore, I forced my father to buy them =D

Back