• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Howl's Moving Castle

LeaderMarina

Prof. Psycho Smily Thrower
Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 20, 2009
    For those of you who don't have a theatre playing the movie, don't fear! Howl's Moving Castle will be released EVERYWHERE on June 17, 2005. June 10 was more of a pre-release, per say. It was only released in 36 theatres.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Just came out in theatres here today (er... yesterday; it's exactly midnight for me as I type this o_O), so I saw it with a few friends (including Triffy and Kura~ ^__^) It was... really good. Better than most movies I see, but it wasn't amazing. Like, the animation was pretty and everything, but it wasn't as breathtaking and amazing as Spirited Away. I just didn't get the same... well... vibe from it, you know? It didn't seem as detailed and I was annoyed to see how half the characters all looked identical (those stupid soldiers? Ugh.) It does surpass almost all the animated movies I've ever seen, but it still pales in comparison to Spirited Away, imo. ^^; I've only ever seen Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke in English and My Neighbour Totoro in Japanese (though I didn't understand it very well since I'd only taken the language for a year when I watched it and there were no subs xD) so... I can't really compare it to his other works very well. x_X I can say the dub for the movie was terrible; I hated most of the voices but then... I hate almost all English voices. x__x;

Heehee. Howl is gorgeous. <3 *squee~*

Digital_Remix

Master In Training
    Years
  • RentCavalier said:
    Ok, sounding a bit prudish I know, but how can you like Kiki's Delivery Service over Spirited Away?

I mean, Kiki's has incredible amounts of charm, its very childish and relatively innocent, like most of his early works. But, it does not compare to the incredible conflict in Princess Monoke (sp? His arguably best film) or the rich, vibrant world painted in Spirited Away, where a mere child can turn the demon world upside down, nor can it compare to the pure beauty of Castle in the Sky.

Kiki's is good, but IMHO I can't believe it can be stated as being better then Spirted Away.

Oh, and does anyone have a link to where I can see the trailer for Howl's Castle?

I didn't even like Kiki's Delivery Service. ._.

Anyway, I saw the trailor when I went to see Donnie Darko in theaters. I'd say it looks alright. Not something I'd run out and pay top dollar to see though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 14, 2013
    OMG, I want to see that!
    I was ABOUT to see it yesterday, but I didn't. I might see it today or tommorow!

Years
  • I saw it yesterday with a friend of mine XD We had to drive out like an hour away cause It wasn't playing around us. I really liked it, and at the end, the whole theatre (which consisted of like twenty five people) started clapping. It was the first Miyazaki movie I've seen in theatres, I thought it was really good, It was kinda confusing, and later today I'm going to try and get the book. heh..

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Lightning said:
    I can say the dub for the movie was terrible; I hated most of the voices but then... I hate almost all English voices. x__x;

The studio that does the english voice acting for all of Miyazaki's movies has this hang-up of getting all-celebrity casts to do the voice acting as a promotional stunt. For the most part, this lessens the quality of the voice acting, except in rare circumstances, such as Patrick Stewart in Nausica? for example. He's a shakespearean actor so he did very well.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • (caution: possible spoilers!!!)

@@ it was awesome animation!!
    @@ but i thought some of the voices stank too.. ._.
    neh.. @@ and it was really confusing.. >> lyke.. how did her mom know that the old lady was her?
    wtf.. and she wasnt surprised or anything?
    and how she kept changing every 10 seconds lyke.. young and then old again ._. it got kinda annoying..

@@ also.. i thought she'd kiss him at the end and return to normal.. but she never did..

the movie ended with her with grey hair..
    >>.. soo.. i was all lyke.. WTF...

:3 but howl is really really pretty <3

@@ in my opinion, it was still a good movie :3 i liked it alot <3

Last edited:

O

Your Mom
    Years
  • Kratos said:
    I'm iterested in seing it. And beleive it or not my mom is interested in seing it also.

That's because Howl's Moving Castle was a book by Dianne Wynne Jones, so your mum is probably a fan. So there, Howls' Moving Castle IS NOT created by Miyazaki, he's just animating it...

Kratos

ghostofsparta
    Years
    • Age 33
    • HFIL
    • Seen Apr 1, 2010
    I just saw the movie today.
    It was really good. I really liked the animation in the movie too. I think my mom did like it for that reason.

Kratos

Keitaro

Urashima
    Years
  • Mm...I watched it yesterday along with a bunch o' other anim? I haven't seen before for old time sakes. It didn't disappoint me and even if it did I wouldn't care because we're all critics and critics are evil, :P but I expected a good movie and he brought one to the table. I liked Turnip head, he was awesome till the end, he looked like one of those characters from Sam & Max because of the way they drew his smile.

Cherrim

Years
  • Kura said:
    neh.. @@ and it was really confusing.. >> lyke.. how did her mom know that the old lady was her?
    wtf.. and she wasnt surprised or anything?
    Don't remember the movie that well (what? It's already been two days! XD), but I think the head witch at that palace (the one with the crystal ball thing) sent her to Howl's place and likely told Sophie's mom that she had been cursed or whatever. o_o

Or not. Dunno. XP

Cherrim

Years
  • Mm... basically, a girl named Sophie is cursed by a witch causing her to look about 70 years older than she really is. She goes on a journey to find said witch and make her remove the curse and ends up staying with Howl in his moving castle. She falls in love with him and her love inspires him to work to bring peace to the countries at war.

That's basically what it says here under "About." XP

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • Chairman Kaga said:
    It was pleasant to watch, but not exactly breathtaking. I still recommend watching it, but I was trying to hold it to the unfair standards of Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away when I watched it, so my perception was probably tainted.
    Personally, I thought Nausicaa was one of the best in terms of storyline. I enjoyed it more than Mononoke Hime although not as much as Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi.

I'm not entirely sure when Howl is out on general release here, although it premieres at the Sydney Film Festival at the end of this week. It'll be interesting to see how the dub is.

Back