• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hunter J's death

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    Even now, that scene bugs the heck out of me.

Okay, I give the TV show props for show actual on-screen death with little ambiguity and no resurrections of any kind and I'm surprised even the dub left it untouched (then again, it's not done by 4kids who would've said everyone was transported to Azelf's dimension in the whirlpool). It showed the power of the lake trio quite effectively too and was intense in atmosphere.

However, the problem is that it happens... and that's it. No follow-up, no future consequence, she just shows up, gets the Lake Trio and *BOOM* dead. It feels like the writers just threw up their hands and said, "let's just kill her off for the hell of it."

I just fell like it seemed so... shoehorned into the Team Galactic finale. Like... you could literally cut that scene out with little to no consequences. Hell, you could have Saturn, Jupiter and Mars do the job and you'd never think, "Hmmm, know what this needs? Hunter J randomly written in."

And the real kicker is that they could've at least given her a proper send off in a future episode (in place of one of the fillers ahead) where Ash manages to defeat her and help bring her to justice. Mind you, I don't except him to kill her but having her go out in an episode where she's the main antagonist would've been preferable. She was a darn great villain. Why the heck did they just drop her in the trash like some dirty rag?

I don't totally hate it, I don't totally love it. It's just... confusing.

Thoughts?

Years
  • Hunter J was at the end of her story and the anime felt there was no more need for her. Plus her character was so irredeemable meant the only punishment suitable for her was death and to have it committed at the hands of the pokemon themselves makes it even more justifiable.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    Hunter J was at the end of her story and the anime felt there was no more need for her. Plus her character was so irredeemable meant the only punishment suitable for her was death and to have it committed at the hands of the pokemon themselves makes it even more justifiable.
    Then it should've been in her own episode, not Team Galactic's.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I haven't watched this since it first aired (it was 5 year ago now, wow) so perhaps my opinion is invalid, but I feel like her dying was probably the coolest way she could've gone. Every other villain just gets carted away to jail, but she was so bad she got the "glory" of dying in Pokemon. I can't remember feeling it like she was just shoehorned in at the time, but perhaps they didn't want too much emphasis on her death, considering how much Pokemon avoids it...? Heh, I really need to rewatch it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Hunter J could have been handled much better instead of just killing her off like that and the way that they did it was really poorly handled, Hunter J should of never been part of the Team Galactic arc since she had no need to be there.

Weather she dead or alive, we may never know.

Back