• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hurricane Gustav

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I don't quite see how this will hurt the Economy...Like...At all O_o
    Yes it may be a disaster is some areas but it really isn't that big of a deal.

Also, "hitting" refers to when the eye hit lands, not when the arms are hitting.

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    It's not going to raise the gas prices significantly, if at all. The only way I can see it hurting the economy is if they have to rebuild a city again.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Yeah, but why would they want to AGAIN? I can just imagine nobody living there ever again. They shouldn't waste their money and try to rebuild something if it's just gonna get hit with another hurricane. I mean, didn't they already try to rebuild it after Katrina hit? x-x *dies*

-Neko

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    If I recall, the plan was the have all the business near the beach and all the homes up on a higher plane a few miles from the city.

But yeah, I really don't understand why the want to rebuild. Like a sandcastle, it would all just washed away by the oncoming tides eventually.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    Gustav is currently not doing as much damage as Katrina so far. Since it's been a while since Katrina, I'm sure they constructed the buildings damaged by Katrina a LITTLE bit better so it can withstand a hurricane. I'm sure New Orleans and all the other coastal cities are fine so far and haven't received any damage as of late. Although the death toll so far for Gustav is 88 in the Caribbean so I guess we just have to wait then.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    Personally, if the oil rigs can stand it, then it shouldn't affect gas costs.
    First of all, who's bright idea was it to build a city Under Sea Level anyway??
    Second, they really should just leave New Orleans instead of wasting our money trying to rebuild it.
    Instead, they should spend it trying to find more renewable fuel sources.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2008
    Second, they really should just leave New Orleans instead of wasting our money trying to rebuild it.

People who live in a city next to the water and is below sea level can have no right to BAWWWW about it. And if they were stupid enough to go back, they should really just nature take its course on them.

And whoever donated money the first time should join them. GUESS THE NEW ORLEANIANS DIDN'T LEARN THEIR LESSONS.

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    People who live in a city next to the water and is below sea level can have no right to BAWWWW about it. And if they were stupid enough to go back, they should really just nature take its course on them.

And whoever donated money the first time should join them. GUESS THE NEW ORLEANIANS DIDN'T LEARN THEIR LESSONS.
    That's a callous thing to say. It's not their fault that the government was stupid enough to allot money to rebuild New Orleans. No, it wasn't very smart of them to return to New Orleans, but they don't need to "let nature take its course on them".

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The colonists that went to North America to start growing cities all over the landscape were obviously Europeans — and in Europe there is no extreme weather, so they'd start New Orleans as a fishing town without a second thought.
    The Netherlands makes a good example of why they'd not give a second thought, being a European country mostly below sea level, yet having been fine all these years.

The people that went to the Americas and started new settlements were out for challenges, adventure and whatnot, so that could be the reason they'd stay despite hurricanes.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2008
    That's a callous thing to say. It's not their fault that the government was stupid enough to allot money to rebuild New Orleans. No, it wasn't very smart of them to return to New Orleans, but they don't need to "let nature take its course on them".

You live in a city that's next to the water and below sea level, the risks are self-explanatory so you deal with your own problems. In California, we're prone to wildfires and even though the government doesn't do the controlled burns they need to, we still manage.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I'm a little freaked out right now, 3 of my good friends live in Louisiana, and 2 of them were evacuated and headed North for safety, but one stayed home, and he lives near the coast. So I'm very anxious to hear from them...

Led Zeppelin Pwn

Led Zeppelin is teh greatest
    Years
    Hurricane Gustav leaves minimal damage in New Orleans

The storm rammed the depopulated Gulf Coast, about 110km southwest of New Orleans, yesterday morning and moved inland across Louisiana, losing strength as it went.
    Strained levees surrounding the basin-shaped city of New Orleans showed brief signs of overwash from high winds and volatile storm surges.
    But city engineers said they expected the levees would hold, as water levels dropped almost 60cm during the afternoon.
    While the hurricane delivered New Orleans only a glancing blow - avoiding the catastrophic flooding brought by Katrina three years ago - the rest of the state did not survive the storm without damage.
    Roofs were torn from homes, trees toppled and roads flooded, and more than a million people across the state were left without power.
    As night fell, officials were watching the mighty Mississippi River, canals, and other waterways to make sure a surge of water from the tail end of Gustav did not spawn a devastating wave.
    About two million people from Texas to Alabama who had fled the Gulf Coast watched TV coverage from shelters and hotel rooms hundreds of kilometres away, many wondering what damage they would find when they returned home.
    The hurricane claimed six lives, all from falling trees.

read the FULL article here
    https://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24284577-663,00.html

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    Fortunately, events as disastrous as Katrina are so memorable mostly because they are so rare. I'm really happy for the people of New Orleans, another hurricane that destructive so soon would be just terrible.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    Well that's good. :3 For a second I thought they would have to rebuild New Orleans... again. << I was saying "Why waste the money if it is just going to be destroyed by other hurricanes again?" But I guess Katrina was and is going to be the worst that ever happened for a while now. I hope. *dies* x_x;;

-Neko

Years
    Wow...That's Great!

I think various reasons contributed that everything went relatively well compared to 3 years ago.

1) People heeded mandatory evacuation calls (I mean 90% evacuated...That's something) I guess the people who stayed would learn their lesson..
    2) It's Hurricane Katrina's anniversary so people were a lot more wary than usual. And the General Public is paying attention.
    3) The Local, State, and Federal levels finally learned their lessons in disaster coordination after Katrina
    4) It's ELECTION SEASON (Both US Presidential AND Congressional) so both Republicans and Democrats want to look good...

Thank God the levees held together because it turns out that Katrina didn't cause the massive damage in New Orleans...it was the flooding caused by the levees breaking and dumping all that water it was keeping away into the city.

Back