• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"I’m ready (to die), but I’m going to wait for the movie."

Years
    HUNTINGTON BEACH – Colby Curtin, a 10-year-old with a rare form of cancer, was staying alive for one thing – a movie.

From the minute Colby saw the previews to the Disney-Pixar movie Up, she was desperate to see it. Colby had been diagnosed with vascular cancer about three years ago, said her mother, Lisa Curtin, and at the beginning of this month it became apparent that she would die soon and was too ill to be moved to a theater to see the film.

After a family friend made frantic calls to Pixar to help grant Colby her dying wish, Pixar came to the rescue.

The company flew an employee with a DVD of Up, which is only in theaters, to the Curtins' Huntington Beach home on June 10 for a private viewing of the movie.

The animated movie begins with scenes showing the evolution of a relationship between a husband and wife. After losing his wife in old age, the now grumpy man deals with his loss by attaching thousands of balloons to his house, flying into the sky, and going on an adventure with a little boy.

Colby died about seven hours after seeing the film.

With her daughter's vigil planned for Friday, Lisa Curtin reflected about how grateful she is that Pixar – and "Up" – were a part of her only child's last day.

"When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie," said Curtin, 46. "I just know that word 'Up' and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven."

Pixar officials declined to comment on the story or name the employees involved.

THE PREVIEWS

Colby was diagnosed with vascular cancer on Dec. 23, 2005 after doctors found a tumor in her liver. At the time of her death, her stomach was about 94 inches around, swollen with fluids the cancer wouldn't let her body properly digest. The rest of her body probably weighed about 45 pounds, family friend Carole Lynch said.

Colby had gone to Newport Elementary School and was known for making others laugh, family friend Terrell Orum said. Colby loved to dance, sing, swim and seemed to have a more mature understanding of the world than other children her age, Orum said.

On April 28, Colby went to see the Dream Works 3-D movie "Monsters Vs. Aliens" but was impressed by the previews to "Up."

"It was from then on, she said, 'I have to see that movie. It is so cool,'" Lynch said.

Colby was a movie fan, Lisa Curtin said, and she latched onto Pixar's movies because she loved animals.

Two days later Colby's health began to worsen. On June 4 her mother asked a hospice company to bring a wheelchair for Colby so she could visit a theater to see "Up." However, the weekend went by and the wheelchair was not delivered, Lisa Curtin said.

By June 9, Colby could no longer be transported to a theater and her family feared she would die without having seen the movie.

At that point, Orum, who desperately wanted Colby to get her last wish, began to cold-call Pixar and Disney to see if someone could help.

Pixar has an automated telephone answering system, Orum said, and unless she had a name of a specific person she wanted to speak to, she could not get through. Orum guessed a name and the computer system transferred her to someone who could help, she said.

Pixar officials listened to Colby's story and agreed to send someone to Colby's house the next day with a DVD of "Up," Orum recalled.

She immediately called Lisa Curtin, who told Colby.

"Do you think you can hang on?" Colby's mother said.

"I'm ready (to die), but I'm going to wait for the movie," the girl replied.

THE MOVIE

At about 12:30 p.m. the Pixar employee came to the Curtins' home with the DVD.

He had a bag of stuffed animals of characters in the movie and a movie poster. He shared some quirky background details of the movie and the group settled in to watch Up.

Colby couldn't see the screen because the pain kept her eyes closed so her mother gave her a play-by-play of the film.

At the end of the film, the mother asked if her daughter enjoyed the movie and Colby nodded yes, Lisa Curtin said.

The employee left after the movie, taking the DVD with him, Lynch said.

"He couldn't have been nicer," said Lynch who watched the movie with the family. "His eyes were just welled up."

After the movie, Colby's dad, Michael Curtin, who is divorced from Lisa Curtin, came to visit.

Colby died with her mom and dad nearby at 9:20 p.m.

Among the Up memorabilia the employee gave Colby was an "adventure book" – a scrap book the main character's wife used to chronicle her journeys.

"I'll have to fill those adventures in for her," Lisa Curtin said.

In surmise, the girl's last wish was to see Pixar's movie Up!

Personally, I find this very tragic. :[
    But, I find it awesome that Pixar honored her last wish.

And, Up! was such a good movie. But, I digress.

Discuss, mourn, etc. :[

Source.

ShadowLeader

because shadows follow...
    Years
    That was one of the greatest things that I have ever read. I am so happy that Disney/Pixar did something so wonderful for that child. I'm glad to know that there is still some good left in the world. May she rest in peace.

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
    That's actually really sad. x< This is sad: Colby died about seven hours after seeing the film.
    I can't believe she just wanted to see a movie, though. It's cute how her wish came true, not all dying children's dreams come true before they die. R.I.P. Colby and thank you Pixar.

The Red Chain

Awh... now this story has really touched my heart..
    I do feel disappointed that Colby was in such pain she couldn't actually 'see' the movie she waited so long for...
    It's amazing how strong she is.. to be able to fight her cancer for as long as she did..

Pixar was so wonderful to grant her last wish..
    Rest in peace dear Colby. <3

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    That's so sweet. It's odd but inspiring that some people who have been through everything just want some of the simplest things in exchange with the world.

Years
    I am going to get shouted at for this.
    It is a touching story, but a little sad at the same time.

HOWEVER, who am I to say that. I don't know what I would want before I died and I don't know what I would do in that situation, but know I wouldn't want the last thing I see to be a film...

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
    This is the kind of story that I think we should all hear more often. This reminds us a lot about love and how strong love is. I know it is a weird change from death stories, but death is just a beginning, in my opinion. I am so glad this girl got her last wish, it makes my day.

I agree, 100%. There are so many stories about tragic incidents, and horrible things, but this one... Is really touching. You would've never thought such a big company would care about the "little people", but the fact they'd do taht... is so... amazing. Even if by only a little, I'm pretty sure everybody thinks a little better of Pixar / Disney.

They could've said "Sorry, can't do that", or have been there too late... But that was the nicest thing. It's great that the little girl got her dying wish- what a simple oen it was, but it's what she wanted, and they did their best to grant it. At least we know that she died after getting what she wanted, and to make it better, next to her mother and father.

Tragic times really do bring people together... Even though it was before her time, she got the (probable) best death she could. =] This really is... a sad, but great story. A refreshing change from what I usually read. Way to go Pixar!

Years
    You would've never thought such a big company would care about the "little people", but the fact they'd do taht... is so... amazing.
    Well, apparently the DVD that was shown was the only DVD they had of it.
    And, they didn't really say much else about it, from what I saw.
    [I'm basing this off what I saw on the comments].

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    I am going to get shouted at for this.
    It is a touching story, but a little sad at the same time.

HOWEVER, who am I to say that. I don't know what I would want before I died and I don't know what I would do in that situation, but know I wouldn't want the last thing I see to be a film...
    That's pretty insensitive when you think about it; she was too ill to be transported to a cinema and she could have easily passed before the movie became available on DVD. I'm sure she was very grateful and happy that she got what she wanted. If I were suffering through my final days on Earth stuck in an intensive care hospital, I don't think I would be under-sastified watching a movie that I really wanted to see.

Sapphir

Hat thief
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2009
    It's so sweet and amazing that Disney and Pixar decided to give the girl her dying wish. It was sad that she was in too much pain to open her eyes to watch the movie, poor thing.
    I wish more people were able to get the same opportunity to fulfill their final wish.

Rest in peace, Colby.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Poor little girl. I can't believe she had to die like that.

No, I don't mean watching the movie. I mean because of cancer. I bet she enjoyed the movie, although I really wouldn't...

Well, at least Pixar made up for their sin in Ratattoulei.

©ereal Killer

Illusions or Real Illusions ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2011
    Whoa... first of all, Rest In Peace Colby :(

This really made me think more about death...
    And how she is brave enough to like be ready for it...

Pixar/Disney did the right thing...

Britney's Circus

Livin' In Sin Is The New Thing
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2009
    How sad, if it was me i would ring Britney Spears up and have her be at my bedside. :( R.I.P Colby.

Her

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    I'll just sum up the general thought here;

This is extremely heart-warming. A girls final wish isn't anything extravagant, but a simple form of pleasure that allowed her to die in a happy way (well, mind wise). And thumbs up to Pixar for giving her this chance, not many other companies would've done so.

R.I.P Colby

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    A truly heartrending story indeed if it was able to make me, the most sadistic and cynical person alive, crack a smile. XD

This reminds me, I need to go see Up. I hear it's good. :P

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    It's things like this that restore my faith in humanity a little. It was really good of Pixar to do this, especially since they aren't gloating to the media about their good deed.

Poor little dear though, 10 is no age to die.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    It really is an awesome thing to do, especially when you're talking about a very large corporation.

My cynical self says it may have just been good publicity for Pixar, but the actual people involved appear very considerate and caring.

R.I.P., Colby.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    An extraordinary story this is. I'm glad that Pixar had done this as a dying wish to a dying, young girl.

R.I.P. Colby.

Back