• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I am no worried about Yokai Watch

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
Years
  • OK I know their is some chatter going around that Yokai Watch is going to overrun Pokémon's popularity but in my opinion I'm not worried because

#1 We have battled other shows like this (Like Digimon and Yugio) and we remained on top

#2 I have watched Yokai watch I think (Unless the anime keeps getting worse) we are going to beat Yokai watch in popularity.

What do you think of this.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    People said Yo-Kai-Watch was going to take over the world. And unless I am mistaken, it flopped pretty hard in the US and other places not named Japan. Unless something comes along that can truly take over more than one country, yeah, Pokemon will remain on top.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • People said Yo-Kai-Watch was going to take over the world. And unless I am mistaken, it flopped pretty hard in the US and other places not named Japan. Unless something comes along that can truly take over more than one country, yeah, Pokemon will remain on top.

And yet Hasbro is still selling Yokai Watch merchandise in the U.S., along with raving reviews of the anime being one of the best dubs since ever, unlike the current Pokémon anime dub, and the eventual international release of the sequel. So unless the anime starts losing its appeal to western audiences and the sequel also flops in the U.S., we still have to worry about the series overthrowing Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    And yet Hasbro is still selling Yokai Watch merchandise in the U.S., along with raving reviews of the anime being one of the best dubs since ever, unlike the current Pokémon anime dub, and the eventual international release of the sequel. So unless the anime starts losing its appeal to western audiences and the sequel also flops in the U.S., we still have to worry about the series overthrowing Pokémon.

Plus , Yokai Watch movie had the biggest opening then any Japanese movie in 18 years.
    While Current Hoopa Movie did very poorly in Box office.
    Currently , Pokemon lacks the Humor and realism that Youkai Watch has.
    I mean , Current Pokemon Anime completely disconnect itself from real world unlike the Original series that actually kept its realism.
    Unlike Youkai Watch that deal with Real problem that a Real 10 year old Kids deal with , While Pokemon focus on imaginary problem that only a imaginary Kids deal with.
    I mean , I can see an Actual 10 year old Boy in Keita who worried about his image and tires to do childish thing.
    But In Ash, I see a "Model Good Boy" that every parent want !He more geared toward a children parents then Children.
    I don't see a 10 year old Boy in Ash ! I see A guy who pretending to be a Kid.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    People said Yo-Kai-Watch was going to take over the world. And unless I am mistaken, it flopped pretty hard in the US and other places not named Japan. Unless something comes along that can truly take over more than one country, yeah, Pokemon will remain on top.

Yes, except Japan's essentially the kingmaker regarding these things. Meaning as long as it beats out Pokémon in Japan, it doesn't matter how well it does in outside countries. Besides, as others have noted, Pokémon's ratings in Japan are in a downward spiral, even moreso than in AG, and until XY, that WAS its low point. Also, the merchandising in Japan for Pokémon is also doing poorly (at least, that's what I heard from IrregularHunterZ), and even the movies have done poorly, as not only was XY's Diancie movie a flop, but the Hoopa movie proceeded to do the unprecedented and actually dethrone Pokémon Heroes as the worst performing Pokémon Movie ever.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    I am actually quite surprised they even tried to bring Yo-kai Watch outside of Japan, as for me, it's quite too Japanese. But obviously, that's lesser problem for Japanese franchise these days and I guess most of thanks for this goes to Pokémon, Digimon and Dragon Ball, as many people in US and Europe grew with them and it got them to anime culture, so now, they don't see anything wrong with their kids watching anime too.

And as Weedle wrote, Japan is main market for both Pokémon and Yo-kai Watch. If Pokémon will fail there, it will end. However, I find interesting that Pokémon and Yo-kai Watch are on the same TV in Japan and it would be interesting to see how TV Tokyo will work with this and what will be more important for them in future, Pokémon, which they air for 19 years and is one of their signature shows, or Yo-kai Watch, which has better ratings now.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I am actually quite surprised they even tried to bring Yo-kai Watch outside of Japan, as for me, it's quite too Japanese. But obviously, that's lesser problem for Japanese franchise these days and I guess most of thanks for this goes to Pokémon, Digimon and Dragon Ball, as many people in US and Europe grew with them and it got them to anime culture, so now, they don't see anything wrong with their kids watching anime too.

Splatoon is also "too Japanese" because of the many references and influence of Japanese culture, and yet that game was a major hit in both Japan and the west. The reason why Yokai Watch may have flopped outside of Japan could be due to not reaching its full potential on what made it popular and overthrowing Pokemon in Japan in the first place.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2016
    Well, I will admit the Yokai Watch game did feel a bit weird, refreshing and very interactive unlike Pokemon's point and click style.

Years
  • Yokai Watch is very new so we can't know much about neither it's worth and growth. About pokemon and yugioh well yugioh has created more cards with more effects making a bit more complicated and hard while pokemon has 6 gens already (7 if the new is counted) and depends how the new pokemon version is gonna be will it be an upgraded version of a previous or a whole new one? But i think Yokai Watch looks nice but let's see :). If it becomes better than pokemon don't worry instead of pokecommunity you are going to yokaicommunity they people are still nice and same hahahaha ^^

Years
  • I have actually watched the English dub of the Yo-Kai Watch anime and it wasn't bad, but the fact it seems to be a fresh franchise that not many adults are into seems to be why it's catching onto so many kids in Japan. They seem to like fresh concepts that aren't liked much by older people.

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
    Years
  • I have actually watched the English dub of the YoKai Watch anime and it wasn't bad, but the fact it seems to be a fresh franchise that not many adults are into seems to be why it's catching onto so many kids in Japan. They seem to like fresh concepts that aren't liked much by older people.

#1 Yokai Watch is kinda good but Pokemon can do better.

#2 Kids just don't like parents getting into their business so they would rather watch a show that their parents don't like rather than one the parents do like. Its not a matter of "is it new" its a matter like "do my parents like it" and this is true.

Years
  • Well the way I see things is Yokai is this generation of kids Pokemon

Well, what I can say is that kids will still get into Pokémon just as well as Yokai-Watch because not every 5 year old knows about it. And this is the year of Pokémon. With Go, Photo booth & Sun & Moon coming, I feel confident for the franchise. But what they should do is make the Pokémon anime more humorous *which is why Ash has an age curse* and make Pokédex designs that will grab the kids attention. I know that most of us older fansover simple buy what kids are looking for is complexity. We need more f
    designs like Haxorus, if we truly love the franchise

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Ultimately, it seems unlikely Pokemon will be "dethroned." At the most, the anime might lose popularity and get canceled (which would be a dream come true.) Yokai comes off as a fad, and nothing more.

Wasn't Pokémon once a fad? There are people here who groan that Pokémon is still alive despite losing its popularity in the early 2000's. Yokai-Watch would still stick around even if its current popularity does eventually fade off.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I get the impression that even if the anime of Yokai Watch is very popular, the franchise itself doesn't seem like it has enough worldwide power behind it to stick around long term. (considering the games themselves flopped in the US)

and maybe this is just me but I don't really care if the popularity of the Yokai Watch anime gives the Pokemon anime a hard time, it probably deserves it for constantly trotting out Ash for every generation.

and even if Yokai Watch became more popular in Japan, you'd still have to consider that Pokemon would most likely still have more worldwide popularity....and contrary to popular belief GameFreak does care about the wider world when they're creating their games. The world is becoming smaller all the time and it shows with how the main series games are getting simultaneous worldwide releases.

It's still too early to say though. Let's ask this question again a year from now. I don't feel overly concerned about it though. At the very least I highly doubt it's going to be some kind of dramatic death sentence.

Pok3manMast3r

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2016
    Wasn't Pokémon once a fad? There are people here who groan that Pokémon is still alive despite losing its popularity in the early 2000's. Yokai-Watch would still stick around even if its current popularity does eventually fade off.

Pokémon is more than a Fad Pokémon=Life

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • Here's the thing, Yokai Watch's major superiority in the anime field is a threat: in Japan. The Pokemon Game numbers pretty clearly show that the Americas (as in both continents) make up a higher majority of the raw number of units sold, but Japan sells more copies in comparison to their total population. That's where its a problem.

Here's a population breakdown vs. total franchise main series selling after the launch of Black and White (which has the best data right now)

Total Population of the Americas (North and South): 953.7 million
    Total Units Sold of Pokemon Games in Americas: 54.57 million units
    % of Population who own Pokemon Games: 17.47%

Total Population of Japan: 127.8
    Total Units Sold of Pokemon Games in Japan: 44.18 million units
    % of Population who own Pokemon Games: 34.5%

Now, the way I understand it, the Anime's marketing strategy has been majorly successful and essential to the Japanese dominance of Pokemon. Yokai Watch finally proved a real threat to that. So while these numbers are from 2011, I don't have a modern regional breakdown because the numbers aren't there. However, anecdotally, I would say more westerners are getting back into the franchise and the games do seem to be moving to a westernized appeal. Its entirely possible the Japanese player numbers are falling thanks to Yokai Watch.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Both Pokémon and Yo-kai Watch games are published by Nintendo.

Both Pokémon and Yo-kai Watch anime series are produced by OLM studios and broadcasted on TV Tokyo.

I'm pretty sure all those entities are having a blast right now.

It's like Game Freak saying, "Damn, AlphaSapphire seems to be doing little better in terms of sales than OmegaRuby. This is a tough situation."

Until production of a title/series actually puts a company in the red (or when the resources invested into it has poor return), that's when it becomes an issue.

Side note, while I couldn't care less about the Pokémon anime, I am a firm believer in tradition and longevity. The Pokémon anime is like The Simpsons of Japanese animation. It doesn't die.

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness
    Years

Both Pokémon and Yo-kai Watch anime series are produced by OLM studios and broadcasted on TV Tokyo.

I'm pretty sure all those entities are having a blast right now.

It's like Game Freak saying, "Damn, AlphaSapphire seems to be doing little better in terms of sales than OmegaRuby. This is a tough situation."

Until production of a title/series actually puts a company in the red (or when the resources invested into it has poor return), that's when it becomes an issue.

Side note, while I couldn't care less about the Pokémon anime, I am a firm believer in tradition and longevity. The Pokémon anime is like The Simpsons of Japanese animation. It doesn't die.

Pretty much everything here. ^

People like to make "Pokemon vs. Yo-kai" into a thing like it's even comparable to "Pokemon vs. Digimon" from the late '90s and early 2000s. They're miles apart. Nintendo is laughing about this because, in reality, they've managed to revitalize the Pokemon series and churn out a new potential cornerstone franchise at the same time with one series. Yokai isn't competing with Pokemon, nor is Pokemon competing with Yokai. They're playing for the same team.

It's nothing like Pokemon vs. Digimon, where you had two competing developers and producers trying to push similar concepts at the same time. That was a true battle for supremacy in the genre. Yokai is like a branch off the Pokemon tree, not a rival at the roots of the tree.

Unless Pokemon or Yokai starts doing remarkably poorly in returns on investment, there is no threat to either franchise. They're both Nintendo cash cows.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years

Pretty much everything here. ^

People like to make "Pokemon vs. Yo-kai" into a thing like it's even comparable to "Pokemon vs. Digimon" from the late '90s and early 2000s. They're miles apart. Nintendo is laughing about this because, in reality, they've managed to revitalize the Pokemon series and churn out a new potential cornerstone franchise at the same time with one series. Yokai isn't competing with Pokemon, nor is Pokemon competing with Yokai. They're playing for the same team.

It's nothing like Pokemon vs. Digimon, where you had two competing developers and producers trying to push similar concepts at the same time. That was a true battle for supremacy in the genre. Yokai is like a branch off the Pokemon tree, not a rival at the roots of the tree.

Unless Pokemon or Yokai starts doing remarkably poorly in returns on investment, there is no threat to either franchise. They're both Nintendo cash cows.

Except Yokai Watch isn't owned by Nintendo; they are actually owned by Level 5, who publishes the games in Japan. Just like with Professor Layton, Nintendo is only the distributor in Europe and the U.S. just like how they're the distributor for Shovel Knight's Japanese release. In other words, yes, both Pokemon and Yokai Watch are competing with each other due to Nintendo not owning the Yokai Watch franchise.

Back