• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I can read you like an open book.

Years
    open are you about your feelings?
    Not very. I can open up to a few select people. Even then, I explain them in a reserved manner.

Do you hold many secrets?
    Oh yeah. I used to like the fact that there's thing that only I know, even if they're not bad. I've come to realise that it's sort of a "putting all of your eggs in one basket" scenario. When the time comes that you need or want to discuss them, no-one will understand you properly.

Does it take you a long time to open up to people, or do you act the same around new friends as you do with friends you've had for a while?
    I have really close friends that I don't open up to. As I mentioned before, it's only a select few friends where I do. That's not even a time thing, so much as a special sort of trust that you only have with certain people. It may not take long to establish, either.

If you aren't open, why?
    Are you afraid people will judge you, - that's a major reason, yes. Also, I don't like people knowing everything, because I feel that it limits me from being dynamic later on. At the end of things, it just causes uncertainty between you and others; and kills your sense of identity.

What's your opinion on people who are outspoken about all their problems? Does it depend on how severe those problems are?
    I admire that they can do it, to a degree. It frustrates me when people complain for no reason, but at least they're up front.

What's your opinion on people who are completely closed off and don't talk to anyone at all?
    I feel sorry for them. I don't know how they find meaning with no deep interaction, but it can't be fulfilling...

Ultimately, do you think it's better to be more closed off, or more open?
    I think I've established hypocritically that it's better to communicate wherever possible.

Damn, I put a lot of thought into this. :D

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    How open are you about your feelings?
    That really depends on who I'm with. Family and close friends I can be pretty open about myself. More so with my close friends than family, because with certain things I just find it odd talking to my family about or they just won't understand me on my own level of understanding. With close friends, it's easier to talk to them because I can pretty much relate with them seeing as I know them and they know me.

Nah, not really. Or maybe I'm holding a secret right now?

...I wonder.

Does it take you a long time to open up to people, or do you act the same around new friends as you do with friends you've had for a while?
    It takes some time before I can act myself around people. If I just met them, I want to get to know them and vise versa before I find confidence to be my complete self around someone new. I can be pretty reserved when I first meet someone offline compared to if I meet someone right here online. Sometimes, when I meet someone and know them for a little while, I kind of let them show their trust in opening up to me first before I really open myself up to them.

If you aren't open, why?
    If I'm not open with someone, it's probably because I don't want to burden them with my problems at the time, or because I just don't know them enough to say I can trust them with everything on my mind.

Are you afraid people will judge you, or do you not want to burden other people with your problems?
    I really don't like burdening people with my problems. Most of the time it's pretty petty problems that I can handle on my own which work over well enough. At the same time, I'm not afraid of people judging me. If they read me the wrong way, then they just don't know what they're missing in the end. Though, a lot of people see me as someone easy to get along with, so it's all good. n__n

What's your opinion on people who are outspoken about all their problems? Does it depend on how severe those problems are?
    It really depends. There's always a right time and place to make yourself outspoken and then there's not. The severity of the issue does play a factor in all of this though. If it's something small, and someone else has an issue that's bigger than yours, then I'd see it as a time to keep it to yourself until the time is right.

I hope that makes sense. oo;

What's your opinion on people who are completely closed off and don't talk to anyone at all?
    It's their life right? If they are the type of person who prefers to stay closed off, then that's just who they are. Sometimes, you can't change that part of a person. However, I do believe that when it's something important to which it needs to be talked to with someone else, then they should step up and confront the issue and let out their feelings to someone they believe they can trust.

I'd say it's a case by case basis.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    [tl;dr]

Amazingly I'm a lot more open about my feelings than most shy people are, but in the grand scheme of things, people only see the feelings I feel that particular crowd can empathize with, and understand. Things that they wouldn't understand are usually kept between me and the friends I confide in.

I hold many secrets. The nature of these secrets is a secret. The exact number of these secrets is known to no one else. I never trust one person with all of my secrets. XD

It does take me a fair amount of time to open up to people. I can warm up to nice people quickly however, and I do happen to be a good judge of character usually. So I choose my friends carefully and only interact openly with the ones I deem trustworthy.

If you aren't open, why?
    I am incapable of surrendering 100% trust to anyone or anything without a long period of time in which to contemplate it. The Digital Divide, AkA the Internet only adds to the distrust factor, because you really can't be sure who you are dealing with at times.
    Still, if I open up to someone online to the maximum potential, that equates about 60% of my trust, which is enough to be someone I can trust to talk about things I usually keep to myself. There is only 1 person online who actually HAS that level of trust. There are a few people just under that level who formerly had that level whom I could rekindle that connection with given some time and the right response from them though. Those people are usually the ones I tend to respect greatly. That list is fairly slim as well, only 5 people can claim to that honor.

Are you afraid people will judge you, or do you not want to burden other people with your problems?
    It's more of a wish to not burden others really, but being judged REALLY PISSES ME OFF too. I ain't kidding. If I feel like someone is being overly judgmental, it takes every fiber of discipline I have to keep from going off, and if I'm in a really bad mood, that discipline isn't functioning properly. So beware. Don't dare pass harsh judgments about undeserving people and say them to my face...I'll rip it off if I'm feeling murderous enough. ;) Fortunately, I don't get that angry or upset to the point that I'd go off like that very often.

I do not look down upon people who can openly admit their problems to a complete stranger. That takes more damn balls than I ever hope to have. That earns my ultimate respect.

However, what I don't like is seeing people who rely completely on others, beyond the point of consideration without feeling any guilt about doing so. It's especially bad if they think they're entitled to rely on others completely, and screams immaturity and more.

Well, it depends on their attitude and the way they close themselves off. If they just act like a complete jerk, then I couldn't care less about them or feel sorry for them. You can only marinate in pity so long, and if you marinate for too long you get depressed. Once they get that far there's no saving them unless you've got a PhD in Psychology. XD

If they're just withdrawn and shy, without being unkind or terribly unfriendly, I can try to reach them if I think I can. If I can't get to them, I regret it terribly, but move on. People like this can be just as toxic as jerks can if they're depressed.

I think being half-open is fine. Don't be difficult to befriend, but feel free to take absolute control of who you allow to succeed, even if you have to temporarily raise the bar to exclude someone who puts you at unease.

You don't have to befriend just anyone, and you definitely don't have to befriend the same person that everyone else does. You also don't have to befriend a person for the same reasons they do, maybe if you do befriend a popular person, try to find some reason that is unique...a quality that maybe only you and your closest friends see in that person perhaps?

On the other hand, you don't have to set 50 requirements and a background check to give trust to someone. Let loose once in a while at least, and just reach out and touch someone who has acted in a way that has gained your respect. See what they're made of, and see what kind of friend they might be...if they're the right kind of person, then befriend them! Don't be a hermit!

[/tl;dr]

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    I could honestly say that I have closed off my heart, so I am not open about my feelings.

No, no secret at all. There are some things I don't want people to know, but if they do, it's not a big deal for me.

Yes, it takes a really long time for me to open up to people. When I'm with new friends, I try to be friendly, but not too much.

If you aren't open, why?

No, it's the latter. They have their own problems, so why would I bother them with mine?

Actually, I feel neutral. I have no comment on those people who are outspoken about their problems, actually, I feel glad if they are comfortable in sharing them with me (or anyone else).

That's me by definition. I can understand if they do not want to share and talk to anyone since I experienced it myself. So for me, it's not a problem at all. But it depends on their attitudes, actually.

I, for one, think it's better to be more closed off. It's harder to hurt you that way.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    How open are you about your feelings?:
    Fairly open, depending on the situation. I'm more open about some matters than others and I seem to be more open with my friends as opposed to my family, who seem to be less accepting of me:/

Do you hold many secrets?: Yes. Different secrets from different circles of friends, though.

Does it take you a long time to open up to people, or do you act the same around new friends as you do with friends you've had for a while?:
    I'm more apt to open up to people I'm familiar with, but if I feel comfortable around new people I'm bound to be pretty open with them as well fairly quickly.

What's your opinion on people who are outspoken about all their problems? Does it depend on how severe those problems are?: They may be feeling overwhelmed by all the problems that they're facing, and don't have a way of solving their problems themselves. Or they may be complainers looking for attention.

What's your opinion on people who are completely closed off and don't talk to anyone at all?: It may or may not be their choice to live that way, but I believe living without any human interaction can't be beneficial to one's mental state.

Ultimately, do you think it's better to be more closed off, or more open?:

Years

If you aren't open, why?

Answer my questions, or disregard them and think of your own relevant points to make.

I believe that knowledge is power and you can easily see people be shut up by someone knowing something about them that they would not want the general public to know. All in all, I don't let people know much about me because I don't trust people.

I'm usually a good judge of character so I pick who I interact with carefully and the people that get close to me with even more care. I can honestly say that there are less than 5 people that know me well and none of them are my family.

Back